Gamers Thread

It doesn't have to be. CIV is just a long time favorite. I'm lookin for a new game to play. I like simulation, turn-based, tycoon, etc.

The only games I play right now are CIV and OOTP Baseball.

Maybe Paradox's grand strategy games (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis) would be your thing? They're technically real-time with pause, not turn-based, but they combine elements of strategy and simulation.

Reactions: Caecius
I really don't get why a game like Dark Souls is popular. Gaming industry has been a joke for like 7 years though

The series is popular because it's quite rare these days to find games with an intense difficulty, they are few and far between, especially in the mainstream. The games also have a dark, oppressive and really weird atmosphere, which is not something you find in a lot of games. Many areas also have a medieval fantasy setting, which is all the rage these days. I randomly bought the original Dark Souls on Steam because it was £4 on sale and it just hit me like a truck and became one of my all-time favourite games. Best £4 I ever spent. What don't you like about the series?

There's no point in completing it, and the game mechanics simply reward playing incredibly passively, rolling away, doing a heavy strike, rolling away and repeat. My roommate eats the shit up

It just seems to reflect the gaming industry these days. Lack of story/no story, too much emphasis on graphics and minimal replay value. It also seems to force players to play in 1 way and no creativity.

I don't think that is true at all, there are plenty of play styles you can adopt to beat the games. I played as a sorcerer in the first one so I was incredibly weak if enemies ever got close, meanwhile my friend went more melee heavy. Interestingly, this made our experiences with specific areas and bosses very different; parts he struggled with I did easily and vice versa. It does reward patience and slow progress, yes, but don't most difficult games? You can't just charge in and murder everything because your character is not ridiculously overpowered.

There is a story, it's just not rammed down your throat with endless dialogue, it's left somewhat up to your own interpretation. There is also incredible lore in the games which you can dig deeper into by reading the item descriptions. I can't stand games that are all flash and no substance (I couldn't give much of a shit about graphics), and Dark Souls definitely isn't. Also, since it increases in difficulty with each subsequent new game, up to new game + 7! and that there are many secrets to explore/obscure side quests to do, I think it has more replay value than many games.

There are also so many small things and little details that the developers put in that really show they care about the game. A good example is a boss in the DLC of Dark Souls 2, if you defeat him in under 5 minutes and without taking damage, he will commit seppuku because he's really proud and you've just made him look like a scrub.

Maybe Paradox's grand strategy games (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis) would be your thing? They're technically real-time with pause, not turn-based, but they combine elements of strategy and simulation.

I haven't played Europa Universalism in a while. I will have to try all these out. Thanks for all the recs everyone.

I was watching some dude on twitch play as a 'sorcerer' (which was 1 fire spell, I mean sorcerer nah mean?) and he was getting wrecked. I've never seen or heard that not having a heavy ass 2h'er was not the way to go in that game. You're punished for having a 1h weapon against bosses but slight benefit in fighting 'trash' mobs (which really have no benefit in the game because of the minimal value of souls [and if I remember right not every mob gives you souls anyways]) so it's just like wtf?

I'm not arguing that the game should let you just 'charge in' mindlessly like Dynasty Warriors, but there's no room for a player to win with fast reaction times. The damn potion animation is like 3s long, the game seriously hampers your ability to play in different ways. Stamina + weight is such a shitty concept in any game imo

What is the difficulty difference, weapons do less damage and mobs have more health? Mobs spawn in the exact same location upon entry and do the exact same sequence of attacks. The game becomes memorization task.

I have no idea what games you play that offer storylines, but that seems like an incredibly low standard for having a 'storyline.' Half of these damn streamers were playing the game in Japanese without understanding anything and were doing just fine.

What is the substance in Dark Souls? The boss fights?

Games with more fleshed out stories I enjoy include the Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy (6,7,8 are my faves) and The Witcher 3 (I enjoyed the morally ambiguous decisions you had to make, and I wasn't always sure I'd made the correct ones) are a few examples off the top of my head. Obviously the story isn't the main focus of the Souls games because at its heart it's an action RPG, a much darker, more nuanced version of the Zelda series kinda. However, considering there are numerous YouTube channels dedicated to discussing and interpreting the lore/story of these games, then there's a lot more to it than you're making out.

Fire spells come under the pyromancy school, sorcerer spells are different, and there are also cleric spells which are different again. Starting as a Pyromancer and learning some of the better spells was the closest you came to being overpowered in PVE in the first Dark Souls actually, but I don't know which one you were watching them play. There are plenty of bosses where a 1H plus a shield is a viable strategy and also some designed to punish you for doing that, because what fun would it be to adopt the strategy for them all? All play styles are pretty much viable, but you are encouraged to experiment and adapt to the specific needs of the situation. This is where the substance comes in I feel. I'm not going to lie and say it was all plain sailing, there were times where I wanted to smash things, but it kept me coming back because getting just that one step further felt incredibly rewarding to me and I was completely absorbed in the atmosphere/ambiance of the whole thing.

You know, I generally hate equipment loads, but for whatever reason, it works for me in Dark Souls. Tweaking your stats and striking just the right balance for the gear that you want to use is something I find interesting. You never want to get to the point where your roll is slow because of heavy gear, so if you want to go that route you level up your endurance so that you can comfortably equip heavier gear. Also, the flask animation is slow because that forces you to really plan out when you can afford to use it, something you need to master against many of the harder boss fights which adds another layer.

There are new items/new enemies/different placement of enemies in a New Game+. This can come as a surprise when you thought you'd memorised the entire area on a previous play through. Unless you are using a walkthrough for your entire first play through, then I guarantee that there will be lots of stuff that you didn't do. The game hides its secrets well. I took it slow with my first run through Dark Souls and logged around 80 hours, more than I can say for a lot of games.

Apologies for the walls of texts, I just really love these games and talking about them! My friend and I played through the first 2 at the same time, and we're doing the same for 3. It's one of those games where we can be like "did you see that?!", "did you do this?", "did you find that NPC?", "how the fuck did you approach X boss/area", etc.

Last edited:
I'm not personally a big fan of the series, but I played Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1. I'd have to disagree with rms though. I'd say Dark Souls is a good direction for the gaming industry. Finally a game that doesn't cater to the casuals where it holds your hand the whole time. I had to resort to using an online guide because I was getting so wrecked and/or had no clue where to go, something which I haven't had to do since I was a kid.

As for different play styles, it has a TON. Every weapon + armor combo feels completely different. I tried everything except using magic and ended up playing a naked Bandit with a one-handed axe for Dark Souls 1 because I liked the speed. As Phylactery said, me and my friend who showed me the game had vastly different experiences with the game simply because of different weapons. I think the play styles is one of the biggest selling points of the game. It's all about the tight mechanics of the game, and the path to mastering them.

Having said that, I don't remember any of the story at all, which I suppose is the one downfall. I never felt compelled to finish the games to see the continuation of the story. It was more of a challenge to myself to see if I could beat the game. It's definitely not a game for everybody, and I will agree that I am also surprised to see the massive success of the series considering the difficulty and bleak and depressing atmosphere. You have to be a masochist to play them, that's for damn sure. I remember getting to the Bells Gargoyle fight in Dark Souls 1 and was ready to just quit the game. Took a day's breather and felt like a total pussy for giving up, went back and finished it. It's an odd game where the fondest memories come from finally overcoming the challenges through innovation and perseverance. It toys with your pride and emotions and can make you feel like a complete failure or a God within the span of 10 minutes. Standing outside the Capra Demon's entrance, wiping the sweat off your brow, taking a big breath and then diving in for the 20th time only to get your ass instantly handed to you absolutely sucks. However, when you beat him, either through strategy, or just frantic and maniacal luck, you get this feeling of relief and accomplishment that can only be tantamount to that guy that didn't take a shit for like 60 days, and then finally got it all out.

How did you do with Ornstein and Smough? They were definitely the biggest challenge for me. I was up until the early hours doing about 50 attempts until I finally beat those fuckers! I just couldn't go to bed until I'd killed them. My friend was actually staying over that weekend and he was playing it on the Xbox while I was on my PC. He beat them before I did and that spurred me on even more.

Standing outside the Capra Demon's entrance, wiping the sweat off your brow, taking a big breath and then diving in for the 20th time only to get your ass instantly handed to you absolutely sucks. However, when you beat him, either through strategy, or just frantic and maniacal luck, you get this feeling of relief and accomplishment that can only be tantamount to that guy that didn't take a shit for like 60 days, and then finally got it all out.

I think the Capra Demon is the only boss in the first game I'd call unfair and badly designed. Those fucking dogs with it! It was a nightmare as a spell caster! I know many would point to the the Bed of Chaos as badly designed, but I never encountered the issues of getting swiped down the hole with nothing you could do about. My biggest issue with that boss is that it tried very hard to be different and interesting, and failed at it imo.

Last edited:
Games with more fleshed out stories I enjoy include the Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy (6,7,8 are my faves) and The Witcher 3 (I enjoyed the morally ambiguous decisions you had to make, and I wasn't always sure I'd made the correct ones) are a few examples off the top of my head. Obviously the story isn't the main focus of the Souls games because at its heart it's an action RPG, a much darker, more nuanced version of the Zelda series kinda. However, considering there are numerous YouTube channels dedicated to discussing and interpreting the lore/story of these games, then there's a lot more to it than you're making out.

I was watching the third Dark Souls. I played the PS2 one for a little bit and make fun of my roommate when he is playing Dark Souls 1-3

Weirdly, a lot of people consider Zelda an action/adventure before RPG...and Ocarina of Time has more of a story than anything i've seen in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls(ダークソウル Dāku Sōru?) is an action role-playingvideo game

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(Japanese: ゼルダの伝説 時のオカリナ Hepburn: Zeruda no Densetsu: Toki no Okarina?) is a 1998 action-adventure video game (via each Wiki)

Fire spells come under the pyromancy school, sorcerer spells are different, and there are also cleric spells which are different again. Starting as a Pyromancer and learning some of the better spells was the closest you came to being overpowered in PVE in the first Dark Souls actually, but I don't know which one you were watching them play. There are plenty of bosses where a 1H plus a shield is a viable strategy and also some designed to punish you for doing that, because what fun would it be to adopt the strategy for them all? All play styles are pretty much viable, but you are encouraged to experiment and adapt to the specific needs of the situation. This is where the substance comes in I feel. I'm not going to lie and say it was all plain sailing, there were times where I wanted to smash things, but it kept me coming back because getting just that one step further felt incredibly rewarding to me and I was completely absorbed in the atmosphere/ambiance of the whole thing.

Don't you pick talent/stats in Dark Souls? How can you just switch from Pyromancer to Walking piece of Metal instantly? Most rpg's make the player choose their role and they stick with it. Is Diablo a shitty franchise because you're a Sorcerer throughout the entire playthrough?

I feel like you're arguing for this 'meta' idea that the more competitive games like to have at this current time, ensuring that no one can ever be dominant at one role because there is always a hard counter. I hate that and feel like it's artificial to the competitive spirit of video games.

You know, I generally hate equipment loads, but for whatever reason, it works for me in Dark Souls. Tweaking your stats and striking just the right balance for the gear that you want to use is something I find interesting. You never want to get to the point where your roll is slow because of heavy gear, so if you want to go that route you level up your endurance so that you can comfortably equip heavier gear. Also, the flask animation is slow because that forces you to really plan out when you can afford to use it, something you need to master against many of the harder boss fights which adds another layer.

The animation is slow as fuck because the game wants you to play in a certain way. It's all timing, the entire damn game. It's like trying to master mario as a speed runner, but it's just standard for Dark Souls.

There are new items/new enemies/different placement of enemies in a New Game+. This can come as a surprise when you thought you'd memorised the entire area on a previous play through. Unless you are using a walkthrough for your entire first play through, then I guarantee that there will be lots of stuff that you didn't do. The game hides its secrets well. I took it slow with my first run through Dark Souls and logged around 80 hours, more than I can say for a lot of games.

Same thing these weirdo's do when a new Diablo III season comes out. Get gear, fight 'harder' minions, rinse and repeat. I have no idea why gear farming is this appealing to people.

Finally a game that doesn't cater to the casuals where it holds your hand the whole time.

But Dark Souls doesn't reward 'farming' or anything seen as skill, just simply memorizing. And you can watch every boss fight online and I imagine a high portion of the community does it.

It's all about the tight mechanics of the game, and the path to mastering them.

Yeah, roll -> attack -> roll -> attack :lol:

You are rewarded for "farming", you get souls off every creature you kill which you can use to level up. With enough levels you can brute force most sections of the game without being very good at it. It takes a long time though and I don't see what's so skilled about farming mobs? On the other hand you can literally not level up for the entire game and still beat it by mastering its mechanics. Also, it's not the game's or developers fault that some lazy people watch videos on YouTube to see how to beat a boss and it shouldn't have an impact on anyone's opinion of the games. I sometimes watch videos/read the Wiki after killing a boss to see what other people did, but never before. Figuring it out yourself is half the fun.

Games with more fleshed out stories I enjoy include the Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy (6,7,8 are my faves)

Been playing through Final Fantasy 9, the new Steam version lately. I'm about 20 hours in, and I forgot how good storytelling used to be. This game is a masterpiece. Complete focus on storytelling with very little diversion, and constant forward momentum. No need for grinding so far either.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity
FFIX was one of the worst in retrospect for me. You'll have to grind them damn faerie boots or w hatever for the final boss though <3

Been playing through Final Fantasy 9, the new Steam version lately. I'm about 20 hours in, and I forgot how good storytelling used to be. This game is a masterpiece. Complete focus on storytelling with very little diversion, and constant forward momentum. No need for grinding so far either.

I didn't know 9 was on Steam now. I enjoyed 9, I liked that it was a return to the more medieval setting of the earlier games and I think it did that quite well. It's just not one of my favourites though. I've played pretty much all of them except the online ones and I was unable to finish Final Fantasy 13 because it was just horrible. Is there a more annoying cast of characters in any game? On top of that the story is shit, the game is ridiculously linear (up to where I played at least), and the battle system sucks apart from the Paradigm Shifting adding a bit of depth.

Ive recently been getting into more of the Final Fantasy games (only ever played VI). IX just came out on Steam last week, so it isnt surprising that you havent heard about it. I only saw it because I was trying to see which one I was going to play next.

Currently playing VII and enjoying it a lot. Since I like the game to be challenging, I try not to grind all that much unless I have to get more cash to buy items, though I imagine that if you want to master all the materia this game would be quite the grindfest. Good story as well, though Cloud is definitely as pathetic as his reputation suggested. The materia system is a blast; setting up characters with various strengths and weaknesses is one of the more enjoyable parts of the RPG experience imo, and the materia system allows for plenty of customization. My only real gripe with the game is the navigation through environments. If I didnt leave the indicator on at all times I dont think I would ever be able to get through the areas, and even then sometimes you need to spam direction inputs until you find a way through. Fortunately it seems like the developers noticed this, and now that im further into the game there are fewer sections that are just a mess.

Reactions: Phylactery
There's a lot wrong with what @rms posted about there only being one way to play Dark Souls. I can't imagine thinking that only heavy two-handed weapon builds are viable because that's blatantly incorrect.

Also, if someone with magic is dying a lot, they're playing improperly. Watch better players if you want to base your opinions off of their gameplay.

Reactions: Phylactery