Gamers Thread

I'm enjoying BF1 quite a bit! It's a lot of fun with the different loadouts- similar to TF2, but with a lot more realism in the world/physics/etc. I'm enjoying the Support class in particular. The MG15 is a great mid-range gun for laying down suppressive fire and the Mortars/Nade launcher is great too. Scout with an infantry type rifle (no scope, faster fire/reload) and a flare gun to reveal enemies is a lot of fun too!

My only gripe is the airplanes and snipers can get a bit excessive ESPECIALLY on certain maps with limited cover (I'm looking at you desert maps...) I don't mind the instagib factor, but the frustrating bit is they can target you just the same, whether you're just trying to play conservatively behind your lines laying down fire or rushing in like a fool. Sadly, in many ways you're better off rushing in. Get a bunch of kills with a BAR or SMG and die, vs. getting maybe 1 kill and die to a plane/sniper. It's realistic, but from a gameplay sense doesn't jive with my internal risk/reward meter I'm used to in so many other genres.

Started playing Starcraft 2 again (vs AI) with the speed turned down a notch. My memory of last playing it, a year ago, was of being completely stressed at the pace of the game. Problem solved, and now I can enjoy one of my favorite games again :)

Reactions: CiG
M'kay, just checking, cause I've chanced upon DS fans who'll venture into that claim as though it's objective truth. Dark Souls is high on the pantheon of linear ridiculousness, and Hideo Kojima personifies linearity to the point of absurdity in gaming.

Moving the discussion here since it's off-topic in the other thread.

How is Dark Souls linear? The game gives you practically no assistance or indication in where you should go beyond the tutorial level. You can follow pretty much any path you want. Of course players generally discover the path of least resistance after trying all of them, but that's good game design.

Moving the discussion here since it's off-topic in the other thread.

How is Dark Souls linear? The game gives you practically no assistance or indication in where you should go beyond the tutorial level. You can follow pretty much any path you want. Of course players generally discover the path of least resistance after trying all of them, but that's good game design.
Follow any path you want, you know, except for when there's an HP overclocked mongoloid multiple levels of strength too high barring the way, which is, almost always.

some of the best games ever made have been quite linear anyway (MGS being an example) so who cares

Yeah, I wasn't saying linearity was a bad thing. I fucking love Metal Gear Solid 2, and the other games in the series to a lesser extent. But Dark Souls is NOT linear, so his comparison made no sense.

Follow any path you want, you know, except for when there's an HP overclocked mongoloid multiple levels of strength too high barring the way, which is, almost always.

So? There are ways to overcome them even if you are level 1. As I said, players generally find the "correct" path by finding the weakest enemies relative to them, but that doesn't mean you have to follow that path. Most of the game can be done in any order you feel like. It simply isn't linear.

i get why Pure Gamers would shit on the first MGS i suppose. thankfully i'm really not one of those people. immersion is what matters to me beyond everything else. many of my favourite games are linear and narrative driven.

Reactions: Phylactery
Deus Ex games, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, The ES games, DOOM games, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, POSTAL 2, Thief games (excepting the reboot, which can eat my nads), Splinter Cell games bar Blacklist, Max Payne 1 and 2, the Hitman games except for Absolution and the new one, Team Fortress 2, System Shock games, Duke Nukem games, a lot of the Mechwarrior and Earth Defense titles, Command & Conquer games, most Mario and Mario-related titles, Bioshock 1 and 2, Chivalry, Shadow Man, Streets of Rage games, Half-Life games, a good deal of the Total War series, the Europa Universalis games, Victoria games, Verdun, Baldur's Gate games, Hearts of Iron games, KOTR, just to name a select few.

So you like Splinter Cell but not MGS? Seems legit.

Doesn't seem like we share much common ground. Outside of Bioshock, Skyrim, Half-Life 2 and Streets of Rage.

I've never played Deus Ex, but I've been meaning to for years.

So you like Splinter Cell but not MGS? Seems legit.

Doesn't seem like we share much common ground. Outside of Bioshock, Skyrim, Half-Life 2 and Streets of Rage.

I've never played Deus Ex, but I've been meaning to for years.
Difference: Splinter Cell actually involves stealth, and doesn't make use of Peter Jackson length cutscenes to tell a fanfiction level plot.

Reactions: Talos of Atmora
Deus Ex games, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, The ES games, DOOM games, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, POSTAL 2, Thief games (excepting the reboot, which can eat my nads), Splinter Cell games bar Blacklist, Max Payne 1 and 2, the Hitman games except for Absolution and the new one, Team Fortress 2, System Shock games, Duke Nukem games, a lot of the Mechwarrior and Earth Defense titles, Command & Conquer games, most Mario and Mario-related titles, Bioshock 1 and 2, Chivalry, Shadow Man, Streets of Rage games, Half-Life games, a good deal of the Total War series, the Europa Universalis games, Victoria games, Verdun, Baldur's Gate games, Hearts of Iron games, KOTR, just to name a select few.

Your favorite game-lists are as exhaustive as your favorite album-lists, I see.