Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire
Final Fantasy VI
F.E.A.R.
Doom
Half-Life 1
Mount and Blade: Warband

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Playing through Dragon Age: Inquisition right now. I'm enjoying it greatly in a comfort-food kinda way, and spent much of the last week on it. It's such a great power fantasy; you're not only the messiah but also in charge of an organization trying to save the world and everyone constantly depends upon you and defers to your judgment. The role-playing elements are shallow, almost nonexistent, and the combat is pure mindless spectacle - with two mages in the party I often can't tell what's going on over all the spell effects, so I just spam combat abilities until nothing moves anymore. But I'm addicted. The cast is likeable and the environments are gorgeous. I'm thirty hours in and I don't feel at all bored with it, though with these types of games being as bloated as they are I don't even know if I'm at the halfway point yet...

Breath of Fire

One of the most rudimentary JRPGs I've ever played. Explain yourself.

Last edited:
Valkyrie Profile is the greatest JRPG.

if there ever was an 'in crowd' opinion this has got to be it (good game though)

anyways

super metroid and a link to the past are my 1/2, but beyond that idk

guess there are

persona series, especially since the redesign with 3 onward (loving 5 right now), but 2 is great still
danganronpa
etrian odyssey (will 5 ever come to the west)
still waiting for a new real castlevania (order of ecclesia and sotn are the best)
same thought for metroid but there are at least some decent approximations (love the prime series, with the first being the best by far)
the zero escape trilogy (999, Virtue's Last Reward, and Zero Time Dilemma)
the best of the 3D Zelda games in The Wind Waker (fuck off OoT nostalgia junkies)
shadowrun (never played the originals or the tabletop, but the reboot ever since Returns has been great)
animal crossing: new leaf
stardew valley
waiting for the revival of arena shooters

am i weird for thinking metroid fusion is as good as super metroid if not slightly better? i love both though

link to the past is outstanding obviously. i don't have as much love for nintendo as most gamers i guess but that one's a keeper

he role-playing elements are shallow, almost nonexistent, and the combat is pure mindless spectacle - with two mages in the party I often can't tell what's going on over all the spell effects, so I just spam combat abilities until nothing moves anymore.
Which is why Origins will always be the peak that the Dragon Age series will never reach again.

Honestly Origins is my least favorite in the series, though that has partly to do with expectations. As a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate it let me down in so many ways, at least with the sequels I had low expectations so I was able to appreciate them for what they were.

am i weird for thinking metroid fusion is as good as super metroid if not slightly better? i love both though

link to the past is outstanding obviously. i don't have as much love for nintendo as most gamers i guess but that one's a keeper

Yes, had you said zero mission I'd be fine with it tho. Fusion tore out a lot of the figuring stuff out yourself. It became "oh I guess I can give you permission to go here" and as solid as the mechanics are as a whole that brought it down a decent bit for me

actually i get those two titles confused all the fucking time. which is the one that has the endgame where you crashland and infiltrate the ship and all the aliens are chasing you? i mean that one lol

Playing through Dragon Age: Inquisition right now. I'm enjoying it greatly in a comfort-food kinda way, and spent much of the last week on it. It's such a great power fantasy; you're not only the messiah but also in charge of an organization trying to save the world and everyone constantly depends upon you and defers to your judgment. The role-playing elements are shallow, almost nonexistent, and the combat is pure mindless spectacle - with two mages in the party I often can't tell what's going on over all the spell effects, so I just spam combat abilities until nothing moves anymore. But I'm addicted. The cast is likeable and the environments are gorgeous. I'm thirty hours in and I don't feel at all bored with it, though with these types of games being as bloated as they are I don't even know if I'm at the halfway point yet...

I preferred Origins but great series. Micromanaging tactics is a joyous thing that I don't see in enough games, not sure how you could call bending AI actions to your will 'mindless'.