Gamers Thread

ffvii (and VI, VIII, chrono trigger etc to a lesser extent), metal gear solid 1 & 2, the last express, super metroid/metroid fusion, pathologic, various pokémon games, the walking dead/the wolf among us, annals of rome, shadow of rome, shadow of memories, monster rancher, creatures, deus ex, xcom: ufo defense, counter strike source, streets of rage 2, heart of darkness, oddworld 1 & 2, micro machines v3, PT, stalker, bomberman, worms armageddon, prince of persia (original), sid meier's pirates! etc

probably forgetting some stuff, one of these days i'll rate everything on glitchwave. there are so many classic and/or amazing looking games i've never played though, man.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Shit, you're a fan of OG XCOM? I had no idea. I keep trying to get into it but it's so insanely micromanagey. Have you played the new ones at all?

no, just that one. i'm extremely shit at it but i like it a lot. i should try the new ones i take it.

They are ultimately maybe my favorite games that exist. They illustrate just how gripping emergent narratives can be. Occasionally I'll get these missions where the level of challenge lines up perfectly with my level of skill/preparation and it's seriously a level of tension on par with watching the final few episodes of Breaking Bad for the first time, except it's not even scripted. If I only have 200 hours logged on steam in the first one, it's not because it's not my favorite game ever but because it's too unbearable to play on a regular basis.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
i get the same feeling playing UFO defense, the fucking tension is hideous at times. the cold, menacing old school aesthetic contributes to that feeling - i think in general more primitive older games are better at conveying things like alien-ness and otherworldliness - but i do find the above more developed version appealing as well. i'll check it out.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I know what you mean, I can feel exhausted at the end of a UFO Defense mission - problem is, it's not just exhaustion from the persistent tension, but from having to manage the inventory and time units of a 20-person squad.

i'd like to cite two great reviews of two of the less known games on my list, by my favourite user on glitchwave. two of the most unique and engaging games ever made no doubt.

the last express:
If I were asked what my single most favourite type of game is or my single most favourite game mechanic is, I would answer without hesitation: a perpetual game which has characters who are on schedules and characters who are in always in a specific place at a specific time for a specific reason. To me this is the exact definition of gaming's "living world". Not games like Grand Theft Auto which are often said to have "living worlds" for their grand scale and characters who superficially display traits of being in an open world despite the fact they're just wandering around aimlessly, but characters who actually feel like they have somewhere to go, something to do and a reason to be there.

If I were asked which game I want to see made the most I would also answer without hesitation: a game which is set entirely in one singular place, I've always been fascinated by this idea of seeing a world change around you and develop in real time. I always thought a game set entirely within even one screen or one tiny space like the stage of a theatre, not just a single screen elimination platformer, but a game which uses interactivity to do something really creative in that small, cramped, singular space. I think the right developer could make something amazing out of it.

It's no surprise then that on playing it, The Last Express instantly became one of my favourite games of all-time! A mystery game set entirely on a 3-carriage train in which passengers move about constantly in real-time all with places to go and places to be for reasons related to their own personality and own motivations. To me, this game has one of the absolute best examples of a "living world" in gaming and it didn't need a grand scale or a massive budget to create that. In fact it managed to create it even more vibrantly and chaotically exactly because it all took place in such a cramped and small environment - it always feels so alive - characters are constantly barging past you along the carriageway, all to go to dinner, or to talk to their colleague or to chase beetles, or maybe even to cover their alibi for the murder.

Another thing that works in The Last Express is the mystery! For me gaming is the absolute perfect medium for mystery stories, because unlike books or tv or film where you're told how it all unfolds, in gaming, you get to actively solve the mystery yourself - follow the leads which you find most suspicious, stalk the leads who you find suspicious, wait for them to exit their home (or compartment in The Last Express' case) and then search it for clues before they get back. For me, this is just so much more engaging and enjoyable than passively watching someone else do all the deducing and while the mystery in The Last Express is very Alfred Hitchcock-inspired I actually prefer it to any Alfred Hitchcock film personally for exactly those reasons.

Now I'm not saying The Last Express allows you to solve the mystery perfectly without any constraints, but it shows the insane potential of mystery games more starkly than any game I can just about think of, but above all else it's just such a brilliant chaotic and "living" gameworld and such a glorious example of game design and a fantastic display of why gaming is the perfect medium for mystery stories! And it also showed how games really don't need big, million dollar worlds to be engaging when The Last Express managed it by making a game set entirely within a small 3-carriage train and a hand-coloured stop-motion live-action artstyle.

pathologic:
But this is the thing - all this withholding of information, fracturing of narrative, narrative structure, mechanics and form and incredibly deliberately mundane and even deliberately boring opening few hours and its gruellingly slow pace are all part of one coherent goal, which is that EVERYTHING in Pathologic is designed to slowly grind the player down and get under the player's skin and EVERYTHING is about the slow turning of the game against both the player and the playable character so that, what at first seems mysterious and intriguing, gradually but relentlessly, and entirely unstoppably, becomes utterly overwhelming and suffocating - this is why I found it so emotionally engaging and why I've never played another game which was so compelling while at the same time being so emotionally exhausting.

Pathologic has by far and away the best survival system of any survival game I've played in terms of how it uses its system to create emotional engagement. It features 6 main survival mechanics - reputation, health, immunity, hunger, exhaustion and infection (as well as having to chose differing clothes which help protect from melee attacks, gunfire, fire and infection respectively) and these survival mechanics are all balanced heavily against each other. By this I mean, if you are feeling hungry you might find a lemon or raw meat, these quench your hunger but may weaken your immune system. You may feel exhausted and need sleep but while sleeping you cannot eat or take medication so your hunger will rise and your immunity levels will drop. You may be out of food and need to attack innocent people to get some simply to stop yourself starving to death, thus causing your reputation to diminish etc. etc. Trying to increase one of your survival mechanics may cause another one to decrease and so on, so there is this constant balancing act going on and make no mistake, balancing these survival mechanics is hard, especially for the inexperienced player and you will die A LOT - But that is exactly what makes the survival system so great - it's always nagging away at you, never giving you a moment's rest as the time ticks on and it creates this incredibly stressful and emotionally dejected feeling which really allows you to experience the situation and unrest the plague has caused and allows you to understand the rationale behind the characters - and this is sense of tension is only increased even further once you catch the Sand Plague (and you will likely catch the Sand Plague at some point - there's nothing to fear from having it, in fact the game becomes even more engaging once you actually do catch it) - while you have to balance various pills and medicines, particularly before going to sleep - some antibiotics such as Neomycinum, Monomycium etc. which can reduce the level of infection but at the cost of your health, these need to be covered by Analgesics such as Meradorm, Novacaine etc. which build your health in your sleep to stop the plague from killing you in your sleep. It's a beautiful and tense balancing act that goes on, but getting your hands on these drugs in the first place can be just as stressful.

It's not just in that it creates emotional engagement in the sense of constantly being on the verge of death and needing to survive, but because, when coupled with the time-management needed in a perpetual, changing gameworld it also opens so many options with regards to organic player choice and getting the player to forge their own story, rather than simply selecting choice through binary or tertiary decision trees, as well as the changing nature of the town's economy. The economy was based on the World War I economy of Eastern Europe to represent the panic of a disease ridden town and it is merciless. Money is scarce so trading is the general way you are going to get things, the only problem is that shopkeepers have all the power and the town is quarantined off so basic amenities such as bread, milk and medicine all become ridiculously overpriced. At times you will have to hand over weapons, bullets and protective clothing all for a loaf of bread just to stop yourself dying of hunger. The economy only gets worse as the days go on and shortages of different things (food, medicine, clothing etc.) means they fluctuate day to day making it unpredictable as to what you need to hoard adding to the tension even more. There are other ways to find resources though - scavenging bins around town to find trinkets and bottles will allow you to help trade with the townsfolk. Sharp things can be traded with children for ammo and sometimes food and bottles can be filled up with water at various water tanks round town and traded with drunks for bandages and tourniquets. Thieves and murderers who come out at night and start you can also be killed and then robbed of money, lockpicks and resources (and, while playing as Haruspex, their organs) and finally, you can break into people's houses and steal their final resources from their own home.

Houses in diseased districts can be looted, however there is high risk of catching the plague in them. Houses in "cleansed" districts can be broken into but are full of looters who will attack you on sight. The most lucrative place to find items is in houses in non-diseased districts and although these are not open as they are in diseased or cleansed districts, lockpicks can be found on robbers or be bought at Grief's warehouse on the black market. However, it's incredibly disconcerting when you start robbing people's homes and the men of the house start trying to attack you to defend their home and it's amazing how much this got to me. That was perhaps the greatest and most creative aspect of the economy - the way it made me feel guilty. At the beginning of the game, I wanted to be as nice as I could, but survival is so difficult I was forced to break into people's homes and steal their things, even kill a couple of innocent men simply trying to defend their homes and it surprised me how genuinely bad this made me feel, but it's testament to just how beautifully designed Pathologic truly is - and this is what sets it apart from much more mechanical emotional engagement in games like Shadow of the Colossus or Planescape: Torment where the sense of guilt is deliberately laid out to the player through the narrative by telling the player they'd done things they unavoidably had to do to progress and had no choice over if they wanted to reach the end of the game, which don't get me wrong, is fine and those games are effective at making the player feel a sense of guilt. However, Pathologic for me was so much more effective at creating a sense of guilt because it happened entirely organically, it happened through the way I was actually choosing to play the game myself, not because I'd made some choices out of a variety of selections from dialogue choices, or because the actual written narrative made me feel guilty for doing things I had to do to progress the game (after all, the only thing you have to do to progress the game in Pathologic (after the first day), is to simply stay alive), but because Pathologic drops you in a desperate situation and tells you to survive how you like, but its ultimately its presentation of organic choice and getting the player to tell their own story of how they are willing to survive in this desperate situation which make it shine so well. Here is a nice illustration of just a few small examples of the way Pathologic presents organic choice which is pretty cool

The town's ever changing nature and aforementioned slow transformation as it becomes more and more chaotic as each day goes on is also another factor which make Pathologic so emotionally exhausting. It's a cliché of Pathologic reviews to use this sentence but I'm going to use it anyway because it makes such sense, but: much is talked about in open world games in trying to create a "living world", whereas Pathologic does the opposite: it creates a "dying world" and by doing so creates this incredibly lively and riveting environment. Day by day, different areas become infected - different characters are introduced and react through different events. Riots begin to happen, military men with flamethrowers come in to stop the infection spreading. The sand plague becomes more and more potent as the days tick by and the town, its economy and its people begin to become more infected and more panicked as a result. Again, the tension in the game just builds and builds in such a slow, scrupulous yet incredible way. There's often an obsession with post-apocalyptic worldbuilding in gaming, but Pathologic creates something much more beautiful because it doesn't deal in post-apocalyptic themes, or post-apocolyptic worldbuilding; it deals in apocalyptic themes and apocalyptic worldbuilding which so, so few games do, despite the fact gaming is the perfect medium for doing so, as its much more affecting to actually be part of the event and deal with its devastation first hand and actually play a part in the chaos it causes, rather than simply walking through the aftermath of an event and seeing the devastation it caused.

This is heightened further by the game's ugly, but beautiful artstyle and "uncanny valley" character design. The town us ugly, diseased districts look like their houses are growing bulging red tumours and a turgid orange glow resonates around "cleansed" districts, but the game makes incredible use out of its dated graphics engine! The limited draw distance and strange rain physics fit the atmosphere of the game perfectly, as do the bizarre character models, who's eyes all seem to be several inches too big and all seem to walk with a strange-limped slouch, but each character design and model certainly has character and are incredibly memorable (the executors and tragedians have probably become the most iconic images of the game and there are certain areas which I won't spoil and one in particular which are absolutely breathtaking and clearly an influence on Ice-Pick Lodge's follow up game The Void[Тургор]) and really suit the unique attempts at bizarre worldbuilding within the game.

But even though the world can be ugly and lonely, there is something incredibly beautiful about it. Something incredibly beautiful about the derelict ugly houses, the identi-kit character models all the same in the eyes of the plague, as it chooses its prey both directly and indirectly, its representation of working-class Russia. And this is definitely something Eastern European and especially Soviet games seem to do so well - it's the same with The Void[Тургор], Knock-Knock, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy, the Metro[Метро] games, This War of Mine etc. etc. - this decrepit beautiful worldbuilding in which sometimes it's just the smallest ambience (both of a visual and/or aural nature) will set me off - a bark of a dog somewhere in the distance or the sound of rain as you're wading through the empty steppe at the southern part of town, or the autumn leaves wafting in the strange orange glow of the sky which were enough to give me shivers all over. There's just something in the relentless and consistent worldbuilding that means often the most chilling moments are entirely organic of the world and nothing to do with actual set-pieces or individual moments or characters. The soundtrack is another thing which I found really helped the game get slowly under my skin. At first I didn't think it fitted in with the atmosphere of the game at all with its eclectic mix of ambient and world music, but again, there's just something about its incessant droning and chanting that just burrowed itself so deep under my skin and grew and grew on me until now I absolutely adore it and in fact it's one of my most listened to albums! In fact, I often listen to it while walking along the street, especially after dark and it will never fail to give me chills all over.

And it's all the combined together, which make Pathologic such a gruelling and emotionally engaging game which manages to elicit feelings of awe, beauty, frustration, guilt, exhaustion etc. through both deliberate and organic means in a way no other game I have ever played has managed. Pathologic isn't just about building atmosphere therefore by reaching a certain point in the narrative and then a cut scene happens. Pathologic isn't an interactive film, or an interactive tv show, it's a video game, it knows it's a video game and it wants to make use of the advantages of being a video game - it's about watching a slowly decaying town in front of your eyes and trying to survive yourself within that, possibly helping or possibly not helping people, if you can drag yourself away from going to get some clean water to survive. And that's where the enjoyment lies - it's a game about experiencing a shut off plague-ridden town and interacting with people within that town.

Deus Ex games, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, The ES games, DOOM games, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, POSTAL 2, Thief games (excepting the reboot, which can eat my nads), Splinter Cell games bar Blacklist, Max Payne 1 and 2, the Hitman games except for Absolution and the new one, Team Fortress 2, System Shock games, Duke Nukem games, a lot of the Mechwarrior and Earth Defense titles, Command & Conquer games, most Mario and Mario-related titles, Bioshock 1 and 2, Chivalry, Shadow Man, Streets of Rage games, Half-Life games, a good deal of the Total War series, the Europa Universalis games, Victoria games, Verdun, Baldur's Gate games, Hearts of Iron games, KOTR, just to name a select few.

Here's a man with discerning tastes.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Deus Ex games, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, The ES games, DOOM games, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, POSTAL 2, Thief games (excepting the reboot, which can eat my nads), Splinter Cell games bar Blacklist, Max Payne 1 and 2, the Hitman games except for Absolution and the new one, Team Fortress 2, System Shock games, Duke Nukem games, a lot of the Mechwarrior and Earth Defense titles, Command & Conquer games, most Mario and Mario-related titles, Bioshock 1 and 2, Chivalry, Shadow Man, Streets of Rage games, Half-Life games, a good deal of the Total War series, the Europa Universalis games, Victoria games, Verdun, Baldur's Gate games, Hearts of Iron games, KOTR, just to name a select few.

A lot of my all time favs in there. No fighting games though?

Man i wish i still had my SNES, N64 and Dreamcast. My Genesis is still hooked up though, lol.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a PS4(vowed to never do so due to the lack of backward compatibility). Just finished up with Battlefield 1 and Until Dawn. Alien Isolation and The Witcher 3 will be next. Or maybe one of those telltale games.

A lot of my all time favs in there. No fighting games though?

Man i wish i still had my SNES, N64 and Dreamcast. My Genesis is still hooked up though, lol.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a PS4(vowed to never do so due to the lack of backward compatibility). Just finished up with Battlefield 1 and Until Dawn. Alien Isolation and The Witcher 3 will be next. Or maybe one of those telltale games.
Alien Isolation is worth it, I wouldn't wipe my ass with Until Dawn or The Witcher 3. Just grab the new DOOM.

The Witcher 3 is open world for the sake of being open world. Pretty boring, basically just explore and do menial tasks and the main story is like molasses

I guess Fallout 4 was like this too but the base building was fun

yeah i picked up Fallout 4 for like $13. another one that's on my backlog, which consists of ...

Alien Isolation
Batman: Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us: Remastered ..... Probably the only AAA title on PS3 that i missed
Guilt Gear Xrd: Rev2
Street Fighter V
Mortal Kombat XL
Borderlands: Handsome Jack Collection (love the series, but never played the Pre-Sequel)
Titanfall 2

I'm waiting for DOOM to dip down to $20. But yea there's no way im skipping that one. Huge fan of the series.

edit: I loved Skyrim, would i not enjoy The Witcher 3? Its one of the most praised/highly rated games for the system from what ive been reading

A lot of people loved Witcher 3, just throwing in my 2 cents. The graphics and everything is solid, it's well made. It's just the gameplay is kind of blah in my opinion.