Gamers Thread

I’ve just started it and opted for normal mode because I didn’t want it to be too easy. I’m having fun with the combat so far, but I’ll have to see if it has the depth of the original cos at the minute I’m just spamming square while alternating between attack modes. Hopefully materia plays a similar role in this one because there were lots of different combinations and it added a huge amount of depth to the game.

I would have gone for classic mode had it not said that puts it on the easiest setting. What’s it like? Perhaps I’ll try it out.

I almost paid extra for the edition with the carbuncle materia but it’s already really expensive!

there’s a happy medium between the original game and... this, though. granted, classic mode ain't it. but eh, they moved way further from the original than i was hoping for when the idea was first touted many moons ago, and most of the biggest changes are pretty generic and tasteless, like they're more concerned with appealing to hyperactive gen z kids than fans of ff7. it all feels very moneygrabbing and soulless to me as opposed to a passion project, which makes sense as square have been struggling and really need this to sell, but it's the opposite of what made the original successful. anyways, i'm trying to make peace with that and just enjoy it as its own dumb spin on it, it's still fun getting a different/fuller version of this universe. also i love this roche guy :lol:

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
also re: badger voicing wedge, my mind was blown when i saw that the guy voicing heidegger is the same guy who voices bender in futurama and jake in adventure time lol

there’s a happy medium between the original game and... this, though. granted, classic mode ain't it. but eh, they moved way further from the original than i was hoping for when the idea was first touted many moons ago, and most of the biggest changes are pretty generic and tasteless, like they're more concerned with appealing to hyperactive gen z kids than fans of ff7. it all feels very moneygrabbing and soulless to me as opposed to a passion project, which makes sense as square have been struggling and really need this to sell, but it's the opposite of what made the original successful. anyways, i'm trying to make peace with that and just enjoy it as its own dumb spin on it, it's still fun getting a different/fuller version of this universe. also i love this roche guy :lol:
had no desire to really play it as im one of the few people here who thinks the game isnt even that great(and probably also one of the few people here who actually played it back when it first came out), but this mini-review basically confirms a few of the things i was worried about when i heard it was going to be a "remake". No fucking thanks

lol i did play it when it came out, didn't get into it, then loved ff8 like a fag0t and went back to ff7 after that and loved it more.

whatre your fav ps1 games?

lol i did play it when it came out, didn't get into it, then loved ff8 like a fag0t and went back to ff7 after that and loved it more.

whatre your fav ps1 games?
i was a N64 guy but also had a hacked PS1 with a shitload of burned games. Favorite games where the Tekken series(especially 2), Street Fighter Alpha series(especially 3), Resident Evil 1 and especially 2, X-Men Children of Atom and the other marvel/capcom games. Suikoden 2 was probably my favorite RPG on the psx. I hated FF tactics when if first came out on PS1 but turned really got into it way later on PSP. Lot of other games i ended up going back to and really enjoying but those were definitely some of my favorites form back then

And as far as FF games go VI/III is by far my favorite.

that game is a masterpiece. not only one of the best 3d fighting games of all time, but one of the best in the whole genre. Heihachi and Paul were my mains.

I should have also listed the King of Fighters series in my initial post but forgot. Some other fighting games i really liked on PS1 were Battle Arena Toshinden, Bushido Blade, Soul Edge(what would later become the SoulCalibur series), Dead or Alive and Darkstalkers. Probably missing a few.

Too early to make judgements like this imo. The game really opens up post Midgar in the original and Midgar itself always had pacing issues imo. Granted I’m only about 2 hours in and I’ve not played the original in a long time (but I did play through that shit at least 10 times), but this does a better job of conveying the dystopian nature of Midgar so far.

I’ll probably reserve judgement up until after the next part releases if that gets to the end of disc 1/start of disc 2 which is the peak of the game for me.

Having said that, it’s definitely more challenging that the original where the first real challenge was Materia Keeper and only if you were underlevlled. Guard Scorpion took like 10 minutes and I had to do a lot of healing.

Too early to make judgements like this imo. The game really opens up post Midgar in the original and Midgar itself always had pacing issues imo. Granted I’m only about 2 hours in and I’ve not played the original in a long time (but I did play through that shit at least 10 times), but this does a better job of conveying the dystopian nature of Midgar so far.

well for me the sparse bleak cyberpunk(ish) atmosphere was the single quality i most loved about the original. there was nothing like it at the time (or arguably since), all the other contemporary RPGs were a lot more cutesy and cartoonish by comparison. the slums were an extremely depressing melancholy place, and this generic fallout-for-kids 'dystopia' with its barrage of quippy dialogue and overblown music doesn't cut it for me, there's no feeling to it.

then again i also think midgar is the tightest sustained part of the original so it's hard for me to understand your position on it, the filler starts creeping in after you leave and the game opening up slows rather than improves momentum. i guess there was a time when i found wall market a bit frustrating but i grew to love it after a while.

i'm about 7 hours in now and i think the scorpion is still the hardest battle i've faced tbf, but yeah that one's quite tough. most of the other battles so far i could win by just spamming without much thought though. i do prefer the old school style of combat but that's just a preference thing, there's a different kind of tension and decision-making with turn-based stuff, it's not as chaotic and instinctive i guess.

that game is a masterpiece. not only one of the best 3d fighting games of all time, but one of the best in the whole genre. Heihachi and Paul were my mains.

I should have also listed the King of Fighters series in my initial post but forgot. Some other fighting games i really liked on PS1 were Battle Arena Toshinden, Bushido Blade, Soul Edge(what would later become the SoulCalibur series), Dead or Alive and Darkstalkers. Probably missing a few.

soul edge was called soul blade here, that one was pretty good. i remember battle arena toshinden and bushido blade. the selling point for dead or alive was just every character had huge tits lol

some more i remember:
bloody roar
rival schools
mortal kombat trilogy
dynasty warriors
primal rage

there was also this obscure one called blood lines i have fond memories of, it was kind of like a futuristic 3D proto smash bros or something (i'm probably just unfamiliar with its actual influences):

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
soul edge was called soul blade here, that one was pretty good. i remember battle arena toshinden and bushido blade. the selling point for dead or alive was just every character had huge tits lol

some more i remember:
bloody roar
rival schools
mortal kombat trilogy
dynasty warriors
primal rage
yeah it was Soul Blade on console here too, got mixed up with the arcade machine(i spent a lot of time in dark moldy arcades when i was a youngster). I also played the shit out of MK Trilogy too but on N64. Played all the other ones you listed too. Dynasty Warriors wasnt a proper fighter though, more of a 3D beat em up if i remember correctly.

there was also this obscure one called blood lines i have fond memories of, it was kind of like a futuristic 3D proto smash bros or something (i'm probably just unfamiliar with its actual influences):

haha holy shit. how have i not heard of this one? It looks to have a power stone/smash bros feel to it.

Do you remember the Panasonic 3DO? One of my buddies used to have one and we used to play the shit out of this one wannabe MK fighting game called Way of the Warrior. Had a metal soundtrack(mostly White Zombie if i rember correctly) and all...

:lol:

the selling point for dead or alive was just every character had huge tits lol
they started overdoing(if theres a such a thing lol) this later on. They had a few nice pairs in the first game but it was mostly just a solid 3d fighter. And was kind of similar to Virtua Fighter, which is one of the greatest fighting game franchises ever. The game has always had a pretty good engine .... even the more recent ones which are basically exactly what you described.

well for me the sparse bleak cyberpunk(ish) atmosphere was the single quality i most loved about the original. there was nothing like it at the time (or arguably since), all the other contemporary RPGs were a lot more cutesy and cartoonish by comparison. the slums were an extremely depressing melancholy place, and this generic fallout-for-kids 'dystopia' with its barrage of quippy dialogue and overblown music doesn't cut it for me, there's no feeling to it.

then again i also think midgar is the tightest sustained part of the original so it's hard for me to understand your position on it, the filler starts creeping in after you leave and the game opening up slows rather than improves momentum. i guess there was a time when i found wall market a bit frustrating but i grew to love it after a while.

i'm about 7 hours in now and i think the scorpion is still the hardest battle i've faced tbf, but yeah that one's quite tough. most of the other battles so far i could win by just spamming without much thought though. i do prefer the old school style of combat but that's just a preference thing, there's a different kind of tension and decision-making with turn-based stuff, it's not as chaotic and instinctive i guess.

Hmm, I dunno, Midgar was my most played part of the original as I had numerous files where I would restart, so perhaps it wore off on me due to that. I've never liked the part I am at now (where you go to Avalanche base at Seventh Heaven) and there are other parts it drags. The Wall Market is one of the parts I am most looking forward to! The Honey Bee Inn is so fucking bizarre and the whole storyline of dressing up as a woman to get to Don Corneo is hilarious. That part and invading Shinra Headquarters are my highlights of Midgar.

While I agree there are parts of the game that drag once it opens up, there's loads of highlights. The Kalm cutscene, Gold Saucer (although I will say, that treck through Coral Prison to face Dyne is something I never look forward to), Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, The Temple of the Ancients and the hunt for the Huge Materia in Disc 2 is all really good.

I thought they would be boring ass fedex quests but I was wrong I fucking love the new stuff and additional character development they added to ff7r

the battle system is fucking dope as well and this isn’t a cakewalk I’ve been knocked out a few times and am happy about it