Gamers Thread

I've been trying out cute 'comfy' games lately. I'm a bigger workaholic than ever before so having low stress feel goods is really helpful... and My Time at Portia is pretty neat so far. I had heard good things but just assumed it would suck I guess.

Splurged on a Switch for my 30th birthday. Should arrive today unless holiday logistics say otherwise. It'll be my first time owning a Nintendo home console since the N64 and man, I'm already getting buyer's remorse discovering that

1) first-party titles have not gone down in price at all since their original release, and discounts are rare and small
2) the controller that comes with the console is apparently terrible, and the Switch Pro controller is a must-buy according to some
3) the Switch Pro controller is hideously expensive too

For someone who's bought all their games on Steam sales for the past decade, this is a rude awakening. Gonna have to weigh my purchases very carefully. Recommendations, anyone?

Generally complex bloated strategy games and RPGs and stuff like that, but I get that fix from my PC game library. I picked up a Switch because Nintendo seems to be really hitting it out of the park with their flagship franchises this generation and the fomo is getting too much. So I just wonder if there's anything I should be eyeing aside from the five or so obvious titles.

Is there anything Switch-exclusive you think is woefully underrated? Conversely, are there any acclaimed titles you don't think live up to the hype?

Top of my wishlist right now looks like:
Smash Ultimate (first purchase most likely)
BotW (might wait and see if it goes on sale to promote the sequel)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Mario Kart 8
Xenoblade Chronicles

Reactions: CiG
Those are all solid choices. Breath of the Wild in particular really is just fucking awesome.

Octopath Traveller is good for an old school RPG fix. I actually haven't even finished a single character's story because I got stuck on two separate files. It's a genuinely pretty tough RPG once you hit the outside map. :lol:

I haven't played Triangle Strategy yet but I've only heard great things.

Besides those, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a shitload of entry level fun. It's a turn-based tactics style game.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Octopath and Triangle Strategy are both on my radar but I imagine I would sooner pick them up on PC unless I really fall in love with the Switch hardware.

It'll never stop being hilarious to me that Nintendo made a Mario-themed XCOM ripoff. I'm sure it's a great game but I'd rather play the real deal.

We've had Switches here for about 2 years and while I could find something to bitch about for what they are we've had zero issues with 3 lites and one docked. The kids take them everywhere, the docked one gets taken away with us and plugged into other TVs. I'm more a PC gamer, well I used to be, but my wife has owned all sorts of these things since the gameboy and she's still happy with the Switch.

The kids buy most of their games as downloads and use sites like DekuDeals (I think it is) to tell them when games are cheap. I know they have a few physical games, most of which were store specials, but from what I've seen if Nintendo is the platform you want the Switch is a worthwhile product.

Controllers and the like do seem to be cheaper if you don't buy them with the Nintendo logo on them though. I have no idea what controllers we have but I know they were picked up on special for less than $50. My wife uses a Pro controller ripoff and the kids used game theme controllers that have been bought over time. They've all been treated pretty rough by the kids but none of them have broken.

There is, and I believe always will be, differences between Switch games and their equivalent on other platforms, sometimes its down to physical limitations, other times it seems to be that some creators just don't give a shit. I've seen some badly ported PC games on the Switch, but others work ok with the limitations they have. Nintendo are now offering many of the old N64 (and something else) console games on Switch as a freebie included with a yearly membership. They've also just released another 48 tracks for MarioKart 8, so they are still developing their own games and keeping them somewhat up to date. There is also a shit load of free games, (some have paid for DLC's), in all sorts of genres. Some of the free games the kids have downloaded have been fucking hilarious.

About 18 months ago I spent ages playing an almost direct to Switch port of Duke Nukem 3D from the 90s. It had all the shitty music, the blurred dance scenes and the OJ car chase. It was great fun and cost me all of $8. They've also re-jigged Duke into another game which was released about 3 year ago from memory, which cost me $20 and brought Duke and his rude, arrogant, shit eating self into a new millennium, but that is as far as they have gone.

Even docked the Switch is not an Xbox or the like, just like an Xbox is not a PC, but unless you're hell bent on one brand over another there is no reason why a Switch shouldn't be what your looking for.

Been home for the last few days and playing the shit out of Mass Effect.

mass-effect.gif

Picked up Smash Bros and Three Houses to start with and any buyer's remorse I had is completely gone. I am loving Smash but Three Houses is the game I can't put down. I'm about five hours into it and I have played through all of three battles. I love that I can spend hours between battles just running around the monastery and talking to people, and carefully planning the skill development of my roster of soldiers like I'm managing a football team. This is my sixth Fire Emblem game so I'm no series rookie, and I can tell they added a lot of new mechanics to sink your teeth into.

Having said that, it's a fucking travesty that the game has frequent framerate drops on the hardware it was solely developed for and is exclusively available on. It's not ruining my enjoyment of the game but it is pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: CiG
My kids love Smash, but these days it's been taken over by Splatoon.
I haven't noticed too many framerate issues, but then I don't play a lot of games and I generally only play the lite. I have noticed loading times on some games are a bit slow, but considering that even the docked Switch is still little more than a glorified mobile phone it's hardly surprising there are some issue.

Oh yeah and my kids bought these two Aussie created games, one called Overcooked and another called Moving Out. They are hilariously silly single or multiplayer games that require little skill but are still great fun.
The other game they found somewhere is some game where you're parents watching your kids, but your kids a sawn off little shits that get into all sorts of shit, like drinking chemicals and making a mess. It's too chaotic for me and when I first heard about it I thought it sounded silly but it's great to watch and only cost them a few bucks

been playing technobabylon recently, best adventure game i've played in ages. great atmosphere, dialogue, puzzle design etc, doesn't skimp on the weird sad fucked up stuff. feels like a real labour of love. highly recommend to anyone who likes cyberpunk or neonoirs.

also back on my binding of isaac shit yet again. such a horrible, painful, frustrating game. so fucking good and addictive. i love games where the rules are simple but the possibilities within those rules are endlessly complex and this is a great example. each run feels different and you really feel like you've been through something by the end (unless you die early which, y'know, happens a lot). difficulty level is spot on, but also very dependent on your choices+luck which can lead to everything from near-impossible challenges to incredibly satisfying rampages. only thing i don't really like is the insufferable memeification by its fanbase but eh, not a dealbreaker. otherwise it's just about perfect.

Reactions: Slayed Necros