Gamers Thread

Got the Darkness 2 last week and it's really fun as a straight-forward action game. The combat is really fun and the Darkness abilities do make it hard to go back to other shooters afterwards.

The story and voice-acting pales in comparison to the first one though. It's much more cartoony and ridiculous. I understand that it's going for the whole comic book feel, and it would actually be pretty sound if it was an original title. However, the emotionally engaging and serious tone of the first game just makes it seem awkward, especially since it's set in the same universe. The voice-acting in the first game was fantastic and, while it's certainly not bad here, it's far more generic and pretty much all the characters are much more one-dimensional. Even Mike Patton, who I believe is the only returning VA, doesn't sound quite as good as he was in the original. It's also way too easy and short. I got 1000G in about two or three days.

Recently started playing it myself. I'd describe it as "fun". It's really cool to be going about battering your enemies with demon arms, whilst being able to dual wield weapons. I miss the open world aspect of the original. The bit where the game breathes. Not really that far into the second one, but the only thing like it is going about your mansion in between missions.

The combat is funny. The levels are straightforward. Worth checking out if you can pick it up cheap.

Now I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 HD. First time I've had the chance to play it.

Did anyone play Dark Souls? If so, how was it?

Demon's Souls was extremely good although it was ridiculously difficult, so I'd like to know about this one.

I played both of them for a bit at a friend's place. I found Demon's Souls ludicrously, unfairly, unreasonably bullshit hard. Dark Souls is significantly easier, but it's still fucking ruthlessly hard. The changes generally make it less unfair, it seems. I found it quite fun. You level up often, but it doesn't really make much difference, and it's all about skill. Pretty much any time you get hit, it's because you screwed up. I really liked the visuals, as well. Worth playing.

Just downloaded Steam. Not sure if I'll use it that much, as I prefer my Xbox for gaming, but I really want to experience Dear Esther.

Dead Space is horror the same way those Friday the 13th movies are horror...

I think the comparison to a slasher flick is lazy and unfounded, while at the same time you're showing ignorance of just how important those Friday the 13th films were to the horror genre.

Deadspace was well done, and fun. Was it as creative as Amnesia in its methods of trying to scare the player? No. Has it done a shit ton to keep a fanbase for said genre alive? Hell yes it has.

I'm saying that Dead Space relies on cheap scares and shocks rather than cultivating an atmosphere of palpable dread the way good horror does. The sad part is that all they had to do was remove a bunch of the encounters...by reducing the frequency of the action and not overexposing the monsters, they would have let the environment really work its magic.
Horror and action are almost incompatible. When you have action, you have to be able to win. It's a challenge. Horror comes from confronting something mysterious, and therefore unbeatable. When you know where the monster is, what it can do, and why it's doing it, you no longer have a reason to fear it. You might still want to avoid it, but it no longer really scares you. It's just an obstacle.

I disagree, yes they use alot of cheap scares and shocks, which I have no problem with, but they also do a great job with atmosphere.

So, Amnesia : A Machine for Pigs is official. Who else can't wait?

Still haven't played, I should though. I'm currently playing kingdoms of amalur. It's not bad and the combat is satisfying. It seems a little too easy on normal though and a tad too hard on difficult. Maybe I'm just a dumbass.

Just beat Mass Effect again. Gonna replay 2 next, in preparation for 3. I really love the writing and overall storyline, but looking at it with a critical eye the game is sketchy in many ways. The inventory and equipment management is the most egregious flaw, but the Mako/free-roaming parts are also troubling. Firstly, there's obviously the handling of the Mako, which is abysmal. Beyond that there's the bizarre and uninteresting landscapes you are forced to drive through, and the numerous 70% angles you drive up. But underneath all that...there's an extremely limited set of assets. There's the the above-ground bunker, the below-ground bunker, the cargo ship, and the mine. Every side-mission takes one of those, moves some of the objects in the level around, maybe shuts off some doors, but never actually changes the floor layout. Basically, I get the feeling that someone slapped together all these sidequests in a couple hours, wrote a few lines of dialogue for each, and threw it in to pad out the game. They're not terrible - moving the objects around in the rooms goes a long way to keeping them from feeling all that repetitive - but it feels like a half-assed addition. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why ME has the free-roaming elements, given how marginal they are to the story and core gameplay. They would have been better off with a somewhat more linear, hub-based design like Rage. But it's not a crippling flaw by any means. Overall I would say the first Mass Effect is an amazing game. I remember the second one being a dramatic improvement, so I'm looking forward to that.

Just beat Mass Effect again. Gonna replay 2 next, in preparation for 3. I really love the writing and overall storyline, but looking at it with a critical eye the game is sketchy in many ways. The inventory and equipment management is the most egregious flaw, but the Mako/free-roaming parts are also troubling. Firstly, there's obviously the handling of the Mako, which is abysmal. Beyond that there's the bizarre and uninteresting landscapes you are forced to drive through, and the numerous 70% angles you drive up. But underneath all that...there's an extremely limited set of assets. There's the the above-ground bunker, the below-ground bunker, the cargo ship, and the mine. Every side-mission takes one of those, moves some of the objects in the level around, maybe shuts off some doors, but never actually changes the floor layout. Basically, I get the feeling that someone slapped together all these sidequests in a couple hours, wrote a few lines of dialogue for each, and threw it in to pad out the game. They're not terrible - moving the objects around in the rooms goes a long way to keeping them from feeling all that repetitive - but it feels like a half-assed addition. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why ME has the free-roaming elements, given how marginal they are to the story and core gameplay. They would have been better off with a somewhat more linear, hub-based design like Rage. But it's not a crippling flaw by any means. Overall I would say the first Mass Effect is an amazing game. I remember the second one being a dramatic improvement, so I'm looking forward to that.

The second one is a vast improvement on all of these things. Problem is they upset a large amount of the RPG crowd who wanted certain aspects to remain true to the overall styling of classic PC RPGs instead of doing what I think was best for the game itself with its story and cinematic drive. There are still some flaws in ME2, a bit of ironing that can be done to balance the gap between inventory from the first and second game, and addressing of combat areas layouts, however overall the series shines as one of the best of the past decade.

So, Amnesia : A Machine for Pigs is official. Who else can't wait?

Seeing as I recently got Steam and love horror games, I'll probably give the first one a shot. Hasn't the new developer also been confirmed as the same team who made Dear Esther? Just played it the other day and anyone interested should really give it a go. It's very promising for the future of video games as a storytelling device.

Seeing as I recently got Steam and love horror games, I'll probably give the first one a shot. Hasn't the new developer also been confirmed as the same team who made Dear Esther? Just played it the other day and anyone interested should really give it a go. It's very promising for the future of video games as a storytelling device.

The first is among the most frightening experiences in my gaming life, so check it out for sure. Just be certain to do as it recommends and play in the dark with headphones on. As far as I know the new one was being done by the same development team, but I very well could be mistaken.

EDIT : It appears to be a collaboration between the two developers, which peaks my interest further.

Mass Effect is a true RPG in that it allows you to make meaningful decisions. Stream-lining the character development process doesn't take that away. People are just twats.

Started playing Syndicate. Not bad. Not great. I enjoy the slick sci-fi aesthetic, but it's not exactly Human Revolution. I figured it'd be a sci-fi version of Modern Warfare, but it feels like there's an old school shooter influence in there as well.

So it looks like we're going to play a Native American during the Revolution in Assassin's Creed 3. Sounds pretty awesome.

ac3360_1330623339.jpg

I think you mean a white American Colonist, Native American generally refers to American Indians.

edit: upon further inspection of a more detailed image, there are definitely American Indian influences to the character's clothing and equipment.

It looks like a promising setting, there haven't been any good games set during the American Revolution, that I know of.

It seems like a decent setting, but I feel like a large part of why they chose it is so they don't have to change the gameplay at all. Think about it. Any possible setting after the civil war would have to deal with existence of guns that can fire more than every once in a while. Then they'd have to actually change things around. That seems like a lot more work than they're willing to put in, given that the last three games in the series have been almost identical.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but the successive iterations are about as different in terms of core gameplay as the Call of Duty games.

I think you mean a white American Colonist, Native American generally refers to American Indians.

It looks like a promising setting, there haven't been any good games set during the American Revolution, that I know of.

There was that half life mod that was pretty fun

As I understand it, AC3 has been in the works by a different team for years while another team made Brotherhood and Revelations. I don't know if that's true, it's just something I heard, but if it is we may be able to expect some changes.

I'm super psyched even though Revelations was meh.