Gaming Thread

i could give two shits about stories in video games, seriously. ive played so many games in my life - i used to be addicted to video games - and i never, ever cared about the story except for half life and maybe oblivion. the new games like halo and mass effect - i couldnt tell you what they are about. oh and come to think of it, metal gear solid had an awesome story in the first game but i lost it after that.

i could give two shits about stories in video games, seriously. ive played so many games in my life - i used to be addicted to video games - and i never, ever cared about the story except for half life and maybe oblivion. the new games like halo and mass effect - i couldnt tell you what they are about. oh and come to think of it, metal gear solid had an awesome story in the first game but i lost it after that.

The HalfLife series are definitely the pinnacle of story telling in videogames as far as I'm concerned. The concepts presented, and the way they are executed just can't be beat. I know some people might point at Shadow of the Colossus or the Final Fantasy series for quality. Some might prefer the Mass Effect games (which I really do enjoy, but not like HL). But the HL games are the only ones I've ever played where I actually gave two shits about the characters. Ever.

I'm starting to lose patience with Valve over HL2Episode3. I can wait for it, but at least let me know you're still making the damn thing. I was really hoping for some kind of announcement or acknowledgement of its existence at all the game shows this past year, but nope.

I'm going to get a lot of shit for this.

Dragon Age never really satisfied me as a big traditional fantasy nerd. Only three races, the Dwarves speak in British and American accents, Most Elves are commoners and peasents, the Mages are outlawed, just doesn't feel right. The Kotor style gameplay was also annoying. Tried to replay it and couldn't, did the Morgan DLC just to see what happened.

Still looking forward to the second, because the first play through was great. It just holds no replay value for me.

The HalfLife series are definitely the pinnacle of story telling in videogames as far as I'm concerned. The concepts presented, and the way they are executed just can't be beat. I know some people might point at Shadow of the Colossus or the Final Fantasy series for quality. Some might prefer the Mass Effect games (which I really do enjoy, but not like HL). But the HL games are the only ones I've ever played where I actually gave two shits about the characters. Ever.

I'm starting to lose patience with Valve over HL2Episode3. I can wait for it, but at least let me know you're still making the damn thing. I was really hoping for some kind of announcement or acknowledgement of its existence at all the game shows this past year, but nope.

Is it just me or did Half Life 2 seem a to fall a bit flat? It was a great game, but nowhere nearly as awesome as the first. The vehicle stages just pissed me off more than anything else and then all of a sudden THE END. Great ideas and great innovation but a little weak on the follow-through, imo. Of course, I'm talking about the vanilla HL2, as I don't have any of the expansions.

Dragon Age never really satisfied me as a big traditional fantasy nerd. Only three races, the Dwarves speak in British and American accents, Most Elves are commoners and peasents, the Mages are outlawed, just doesn't feel right. The Kotor style gameplay was also annoying. Tried to replay it and couldn't, did the Morgan DLC just to see what happened.

Still looking forward to the second, because the first play through was great. It just holds no replay value for me.

I still haven't finished the first one. I'm at the very last stage and have been for about a year or so...I just can't bring myself to beat it yet. I can also say with 100% certainty that I won't be playing through it again. I loved it, but it's a "once every couple of years" type game.

Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, NFS Most Wanted, Splinter Cells, etc. typically hold more replay value for me than linear storylines. I absolutely love Mass Effect 1 and 2, yet I know I won't be playing through them a second time. It's like watching a movie again, only the movie's 30 hours long. If I want to see different endings, I'll go on Youtube.

I still haven't finished the first one. I'm at the very last stage and have been for about a year or so...I just can't bring myself to beat it yet. I can also say with 100% certainty that I won't be playing through it again. I loved it, but it's a "once every couple of years" type game.

Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, NFS Most Wanted, Splinter Cells, etc. typically hold more replay value for me than linear storylines. I absolutely love Mass Effect 1 and 2, yet I know I won't be playing through them a second time. It's like watching a movie again, only the movie's 30 hours long. If I want to see different endings, I'll go on Youtube.

Described it to a tee.

I'm not even saying things should all be sandbox Oblivion like. But really, for all the dialogue in Dragon Age, you can't change anything. One major choice per area, ehhhh.

Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games too, but I don't see myself playing that again until the third is about to come out.

meh, i find Oblivion to be a bit tiring. About 50 hours into a game and i already just kinda want it to end, but i wont go right through the main quest because i dont want to miss everything.

The expansion was much, much better than the rest of the game. That's really the only thing you should play. There's no comparison. Everyone in the realm suffers from some sort of mania or dementia. The environment is beautiful, green and purple skies, and the monsters are equally strange and horrific.

Oblivion itself was the biggest disappointment of my gaming life.

see i like the shining armor english country side type fantasy worlds so thats why i liked oblivion as much as i did, not that i didnt love the expansion it was awesome but i quite liked the normal oblivion as well, and of course it's 10 times better with mods.

the new games like [...] mass effect - i couldnt tell you what they are about.
Then why do you even play those games? Mass Effect's biggest attractor is its story and its character interactions. If that doesn't interest you, why not just stick to plain old shooter games? It's like buying a DB9 only to use it to take the kids to school.

I'm not a big gamer... but I do like to play a few. Fable I and II, and Dragons Age Origins & Awakenings. :headbang:
Never a fan of the Fable series (or anything else Petar Molinexu has overhyped and failed to deliver), but I'll definitely buy you a beer for liking DA:O and DA:A :)

You have clearly never played Planescape: Torment or NWN: Mask of the Betrayer.

Not gonna give you flak, in fact, it kinda bothered me too, all the damn clichés. Elves, dwarves, dragons, warriors, mages... meh. Dragon Age is very well executed, but I'd expected more original premises to start with from BioWare.

sad to say, i have the world of warcraft window open as i type this. I am a wow addict i stopped for two months then found myself playing again. Looking forward to the new expansion and all the changes it brings to the world/ gameplay.

only other games i have purchased recently would have to be pokemon diamond and i don't really play it much. I do love pokemon and i had the original 150 pokemon memorized. Newer games are okay and am both nervous/excited/curious about the new Pokemon Black/White.