Gaming Thread

Just listen, it's VERY tricky to get the Good Ending. In December on the game make sure you read about it. You have to give the right dialogue and do a lot of shit to get the real ending and real boss.

ok heres a question for the computer gaming people:
I'm not going to be able to afford my new system for all the new games I want to play until about February. However, this is thanksgiving break and with winter break I'll have 2 weeks free where I can play games and I want to play my older games (half life 2, fallout 3, mass effect 2) at top settings and have them run perfectly and awesomely. My computer is pretty damn good except for the fact that it's a bit cluttered and the video card is lacking, my setup is:
AMD quad core 2.4 ghz processor
4 gb ram
512 mb ati radeon 4350 hd card

It's not a bad setup but I've been hearing about this thing called crossfire where I could buy another card (say another 512 mb card or a 1 gb card from ati and it'd only run me about $100) and put it and run them together and then get about 1.5 gb from my video card which would make these games awesome as fuck.

Is this possible to do? I can drop 100 on a card tomorrow and then get to enjoy the rest of my break playing videogames (i realllyyy need something to do) if I could run my old card and the new card together and finish off all the old games that I can run (not perfectly) before I finally get my new system next year.

I have a xfire setup consisting of two Radeon HD 5770's, it definitely runs games better but unfortunately the catalyst driver is a bit wonky with crossfire so sometimes it glitches. HDR in certain games will give you seizures because it doesn't know when it is supposed to activate the HDR. And so it will just go bright and then dark and the bright and so on and so forth every 5 seconds, it did it in Day of Defeat (and I assume any game running Source) and it did it in Oblivion.

also in games like BFBC2 you will get flashed a black screen after about 5 minutes, then it goes away and comes back in another five minutes, and they usually last 20 seconds.

so one thing you would need to understand is that running two of your card will make your frame rates better, but your processor will bottleneck both your cards, i have the Intel version of your processor and games still don't run up to full speed. That is because my processor keeps getting in the way...unless I buy a new motherboard and get an I7. Especially the case with games like BFBC2 which does a lot of the rendering in the processor (because it's a bad console port) and also uses processing power to produce the sounds. Same situation for a game like Empire Total War, which has a lot of AI on screen at the same time. You could CRANK the graphics in that game with your video cards, but you will still only get 20 frames a second because of all the processing power it is taking to control the troops.

second thing you would need to look for is if you have a second PCI-e x16 slot on your motherboard so you can hook the other one up. You also have to be aware of how good your power supply is, those cards take up a lot of energy and if the card you are using is what I think it is you will need 4 6 pin auxillary power connectors attached to your power supply. or a SHIT ton of Molex connectors. My friend has a 4890 and he has to have 4, I only had to have two since mine are a little newer and require less power.

as far as dual + video cards go SLI is quite a bit better, not only do games running PhysX actually WORK (mafia 2 is a prime example) but the drivers supprt it better, but unfortunately my Mobo only supports Xfire so i went with Radeon.

fuck i didn't know it was so complicated, since my brother built my computer i'll ask him to see whats up and if it can be done/would be worth it. it'd probably only cost me about 80 bucks to get my video memory up to 1 gb and hella bump up the performance and ability to play those old games during my break so i guess i might as well do it (as long as i can and don't run into those fuckups you mentioned).

If I buy the actual machine (XBOX) here in Italy, games bought in the USA will play on it?

No. In Europe we use the PAL system while in the states we use NTSC. You can't mix and match...if you buy an NTSC system you're gonna have to play NTSC games. I'm sure there's a crack out there somewhere, but those things never work properly with consoles.

By the way, how are things in Rome? Is it a culture shock for you? It's always one thing to visit a place but when you live there it can be pretty scary.

lol yeah they had robin hood on dvd over there already and i wanted to pick it up to bring home but i forgot they are in Italian, and probably on a different format :p

All DVDs here have original language options as well. We're region 2 here and the US is region 1 I believe. All you'd have to do is get a region-free player to watch it...I do it all the time.

I think it would be more worth it to save up a bit and get a better vid card (I recommend the nvidia GTX 260). maybe OC your CPU a bit.

The video card I bought was a GTX 460. As luck would have it, it was fucked right out of the box, which NEVER happens with nVidia. I took it back and downgraded to the 450, which is also 1 gb but the processor isn't as fast. I had them benchmark my system and we came to the conclusion that a dual core won't run that card the way it should be run. If you want to get your money's worth, make sure you have a quad-core.

I'm super happy with my 450 though. It's stable, quiet, and does exactly what I need it to do without any fuss, just like all nVidia cards.

No. In Europe we use the PAL system while in the states we use NTSC. You can't mix and match...if you buy an NTSC system you're gonna have to play NTSC games. I'm sure there's a crack out there somewhere, but those things never work properly with consoles.

By the way, how are things in Rome? Is it a culture shock for you? It's always one thing to visit a place but when you live there it can be pretty scary.

I could picture myself living there (after I learn the language) now that I think back on it. I love that city.