Gaming Thread

Modded my HRAP 3 EX:SE (fancy schmancy arcade stick) for pinball simulators such as

Pinball FX2 - xbox360, incredible game
Visual Pinball - actual recreations of pinball tables for PC built using an engine similar to CAD and utilizing real roms from actual tables, all free at www.vpforums.org

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v57/relinquishedcore/HRAP 3 Pinball Mod/

About the stick: The stick itself was about $275 stock and with extra buttons, bubbletop, and plugs about $300 all together. A "Pinball Wizard" which is essentially the same thing without an arcade stick/buttons for other games and the ability to be used on different consoles costs $300 + ridiculous shipping. The only difference is the Pinball Wizard has accelerometers which allow you to nudge the unit this emulating a real table nudge. The downside is, they don't work too well and it damages the parts a lot quicker than it would in a sturdy pinball machine. I use the arcade joystick for nudging and it works just fine.

Why?: Being a pinball veteran and enthusiast (soon to be Wizard,) Playing with a controller just wasn't cutting it and neither was sitting down to play. I took the arcade stick I use for fighters and added two buttons on the side. The only difficult part was ensuring the buttons matched up (measurements were a pain for some reason.) and that I found the perfect spot on the slope as to emulate a real table as closely as possible. Wiring was a breeze because I already had two of the buttons fitted with button plugs and the wiring from the PCB taped down. I simply attached some quick disconnects to the wires, drilled a hole through to the main enclosure, and then stripped the wires and joined them. Luckily they were the LB and RB wires so they will play on default controller configurations on all pinball games for 360 (only two are realistic enough for a community to gather around anyways.) Also, using a different view setting in game, tilting the monitor, and placing some non-slip padding on the base of it allows me to stand directly over it like I'm standing over a real cabinet. Sure it's not exactly a 100% legit virtual table (as those cost just as much as a real machine and you have to make them yourself) but it feels absolutely awesome, enough so to even invite people over to play. Considering it's portability I can also drag it wherever I go. I'm a fucking nerd. Oh, and it also works miraculously with Microsoft Game Room and Mame games.

*edit* Don't attempt it on any arcade stick unless you're comfortable with routers/dremels and their potential to melt plastic like crazy. Getting a 30mm hole to be perfect with a dremel takes a lot of experience and using a router/drill combo will usually melt the plastic around it and cause it to fold up. There's a very small margin of error allowed until you ruin the case entirely. What I did for the button was trace out a 30mm hole with a shop pencil (softer lead) and use a tungsten carbide bit and slowly followed the tracing. Initially penetrate the plastic on a low-speed and towards the center (so a jerk won't ruin it,) and turn it up as you proceed to the edges and get comfortable with handling it. Chances are you'll have to cut just a tad larger than the tracing, but too far and the button will fall through.

hailkarmicfx5.gif

ugh duke nukem forever and deus ex 3 need to be out NOW!!!111 sooo tired of waiting. I wish the DNF demo would at least come out soon, I have a feeling its going to be that level they showed in the preview with the stadium and the cyclops. I've been saving up and I have a pretty good amount of money so I'm thinking once it's about a month away from the release my brother and I will go and buy a shitload of stuff and build me the ultimate computer just for gaming (though I'll have to clean off my desk, I have space for another computer and monitor because I need a new one but my desk is covereddd in papers and shit).

Seriously waiting for all these new games is driving me crazy and I haven't evne played my old ones. I have not even started fallout 3 DLC, new vegas, the witcher, or STALKER and I still need to do a couple more things in ME2.

The trailers for Deus Ex 3 seriously give me that feeling that bring me back to when I was a kid playing the first one and was blown away by the graphics, atmosphere, story and gameplay; I cannot wait to pump the settings up to max and get completely immersed in the story and environment, fucking delays.

Welp, pulled out the old Dreamcast. A ribbon came unplugged so I had to take the damn thing apart. I thought it was broken initially; it realllly pissed me off. I actually got it for free awhile back for fixing another one. They both had blown resistors on the controller ports where ps2 arcade stick converters had put one volt too many through, so I just soldered in 10ohm resistors (as opposed to the stock 7ohm) and went ahead and added a blue led to it! Time to reeve some souls. :kickass:

29p6a1l.jpg

oh man i remember dreamcast, only my wealthy friends had one; the rest of us had n64's haha. great system with a ton of great games though, just got so suffocated by the ps2. i remember first playing sonic on that and getting to the level with the giant water monster and being like HOLY FUCK THE GRAPHICS ARE SO AMAZING WHAAAATTTT THIS CAN'T BE REAL and freaking out when i got to turn into super sonic + first time I played doa and was marveling at the graphics. i'd totally boot mine up but i lost the power supply i think and a couple other things.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I've had every major console since the Atari 2600, apart from the newest ones like 360 and PS3.

Atari
NES
SuperNES
N64
PSX
PSX2
Dreamcast
Original Sega system
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega Saturn
Xbox

That's it, right? There was one that I can't remember...it was the name of an animal or something but it never really took off. It was like a cat or something, like Cheetah or Leopard or something.

my friend had a Jaguar...remember that system? he had Doom on it and i remember the game was awesome but the Jag version had NO music LOL. fuckuing stupid. i also had a virtua boy....that thing sucked horse cock. sega cd was another one that sucked.

I liked the virtual boy, that mario tennis game was really fun. Of course if you played it for a few hours without taking a break, going against the provided safety regulations, it would kill your depth perception for a very long time. That couldn't have been healthy.

Yeah Derick, that's the ONE system I've never gotten my hands on :ugh: I get sad every time I think about it.

my friend had a Jaguar...remember that system? he had Doom on it and i remember the game was awesome but the Jag version had NO music LOL. fuckuing stupid. i also had a virtua boy....that thing sucked horse cock. sega cd was another one that sucked.

That was it! The Jaguar! I knew it was cheetah or leopard or something LOL!