Gaming Thread

I'm looking for some new games now but I'm not sure what to play. I'm considering:
Bioshock 2 (loved the first one, sketch about the 2nd being more of the same)
Assassins Creed 2 (looks cool but dunno)
Dragon Age 2 (I like bioware rpg's and oblivion style but this seems more traditional rpg)

Basically my top games are:
Mass Effect 2
Elder scrolls 3/4 + fallout 3/nv
any amazing shooters that are really immersive with great gameplay

It's kinda hard to figure out exactly what to play since I'm so picky and looking for the absolute most amazing games out there. I want something with a story that'll blow me away, a level of immersion and art direction that is extremely unique or great at what it wants to convey (no war games for me that are too stereotypical, shit like deus ex and how it gets into its environment is where its at) and an ability to affect the game world in a huge way is preferable.

It's hard when I'm so picky but I find myself getting super bored with games very quickly (just cause 2 i haven't finished, crysis 2 was good but i got bored 3/4ths of the way through, half life 2 is great but i never got into the episodes or got to episode 2, etc)

Any badass shooters/action/rpg games with a super intense story/gameworld/art direction/player choice? I've gotta be missing out on something here, I scoured ign and those first games are all i could come up with.

BioShock 2 is decent, but rather short and with little replay value. Of course, like BioShock 1, its atmosphere is brilliant.

Assassin's Creed 2, I dunno, AC was repetitive enough as it was, don't need even more of the same.

I'd suggest DAII. It's very good.

FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT FALLOUT 3 KEEPS CRASHING UGHHH

do you guys have any advice? my copy of fallout 3 on my new computer seriously crashes where it freezes and the sound keeps going and stuttering every 15 minutes or so and it's driving me crazy. it didn't on my old computer so i have no idea what the fuck is going on; i've looked up a bunch of fixes that i'm going to try later but my computer is 100% new, has all the latest drivers, latest patched version of fallout etc. my oblivion copy also does that when i try to start a new game after creating a character and crashes within 10 seconds (but that one isn't legit since i already have it on 360 and fuck getting it again so i'll have to try a bunch of fixes and exe's).

it's seriously driving me crazy because there's so much i want to do but it keeps crashing and all these problems are driving me up the fucking wall. tonight i'm going to try the audio fix, re-patching it, adjusting and fucking with the dlc and then trying an audio fix and if it doesn't work i'm going to punch a fucking hole in my wall :yell:

I had a lot of issues with fallout 3 at first too, apparently the newer your computer the more likely it is to crash. My problem was fixed by adding some line into the .ini file about having a multicore processor. I can't remember what it was now, but I'm sure you've run across it if you've searched for fixes. Once I added that one line in I never ran into any other problems. It was freezing every 15-30 minutes.

I had a lot of issues with fallout 3 at first too, apparently the newer your computer the more likely it is to crash. My problem was fixed by adding some line into the .ini file about having a multicore processor. I can't remember what it was now, but I'm sure you've run across it if you've searched for fixes. Once I added that one line in I never ran into any other problems. It was freezing every 15-30 minutes.

yeah that's one of the things i'm going to do in addition to the audio fix i've heard about, my old computer had no problems whatsoever but that's because it was basically good for fallout 3 on medium-high settings whereas this new computer is 100% new top of the line hardware and thus fallout 3 is freaking the fuck out. it really sucks because i can play all the new games at max settings but with the old games even on max settings they're having problems just because of the new computer, fucking ridiculous game developers and their bugs :bah: i have a feeling it's going to be even harder to make oblivion work since so far i've been having huge problems with it and i have to deal with exe's and installations and cracks in addition to the regular already buggy game but skyrim will be awesome

I think I actually solved it, I went into my sound card monitoring program and turned off this thing called GX and the crashes stopped. I think it must be some sort of unsupported thing and that whenever at the beginning of oblivion when the other cell mate talks to you or when something specific happened in fallout it couldn't handle it and crashed. now my only concern is fixing some frame rate stutters (i have it on max settings with full anti aliasing and antiscrowhateverfiltering but it still should be running at 60 fps since my rig is pretty much the top of the line that you can get now so i think its a quad core processor issue or something.

i can't wait for skyrim, i've been reading about the tech spec jump from morrowind to oblivion and thinking what skyrim will be and i seriously can't wait to boot up that shit and play it at close to max settings! i've been replaying oblivion from teh start and while it sucks to have to re-do my 80 hours i did on xbox (i've done the advlevel command twice just to speed things up a bit) it's so fucking fun i'm addicted all over again and going to do the shivering isles probably tomorrow.

once i get a bit further i'm going to try some mods, i never was too big on mods except for a while when i was like 13; it just usually to me kinda fucks up the game or feels wrong.

looking at the specs for elder scrolls 3 and 4 it basically jumps by x4. crazy how much of a difference it is but i think i'll be able to still run it max as it'll probably need 4 gb ram (i have 8), 1 gb video card (i have 2 gb), and a little bit less than my processor. ugh so pumped and they haven't even announced a new fallout yet (besides that online shit which i'm not pumped for).

for graphics cards you should check out what I have, it's a radeon 6950 hd and it's 2 gb. I got mine on newegg for pretty fucking cheap and it's basically the best for the price out there unless you want to get some crazy prototype shit. the jump seems like it's pretty much 100+ if you want to go any higher (the 6950s are 200something and the 6970s are 300something)
mine which fucking rocks:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102928&cm_re=radeon-_-14-102-928-_-Product

the newest of the new:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102918&cm_re=radeon-_-14-102-918-_-Product

win the lottery:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121388

unlikely that i'd ever spend more than $300

Well, if you are liking the GTX cards (which are good cards, especially the 500 series if you can afford it), I would just stick with an upgraded GTX or go with a ATi HD 5000 series (or 6000, again if you can afford it. I know that the GTX 580 is around $320 and the HD 6000 series around the same price range, but those are one hell of a card. You can run SLI with your GTX card?

the radeon 6000 series is definitely the best bet then since they're mostly all under $300, really fucking good cards and just all around awesome. i posted mine earlier which is $260 something, 2gb and fucking awesome so you should definitely check out those
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102928&cm_re=radeon-_-14-102-928-_-Product

going with something lower wouldn't be good because you'll end up having to upgrade it later anyway, might as well get it all done now and not have to keep buying and making all your old ones worthless.

yeah thats pretty nice i have the 5770 and those are nice but my processor has a hard time keeping up with them.

ATI's are nice but the drivers are kind of wonky, this new one is pretty stable but they do one good release then like 4 shitty ones then another stable etc.

269, good price. Sapphire = 2GBDDR5. I would invest in that one. I didn't think some of the 6000 series cards were under 300. Then again, I was thinking along the lines of 64XX or 69XX cards.