Gaming Thread

Liver - actually if you cruise through this thread a few pages back you'll see that I said MGS was one of the ONLY games where I cared about the story and paid attention. Great game/story.

El - As I already said, I heard that ME2 was more of a shooter, and that the combat was intense, so it intrigued me.

And I did play Gears 1 and 2. They sucked.

El - As I already said, I heard that ME2 was more of a shooter, and that the combat was intense, so it intrigued me.
It's still an RPG first and foremost. It's got real-time combat, so I suppose that's a shooter element, but if you just like blowing stuff up and not interacting with characters and seeing a story develop, then the ME series is not for you. You'll just get frustrated waiting for the next action sequence.

Also for those who are actually mature enough not to have tried it in their own game:

Last edited by a moderator:
so since spring break is next week for me, my brother and I are going to build me the most beast new computer ever to play all the new upcoming games at max graphics settings and spend my spring break drinking soda, eating chips and killing things in videogames. The best part is it's only $1,300 yet will be able to pretty much run everything well even up until skyrim. Soooo pumped.

the beast:
650w power supply
intel i5 quad core 3.1 ghz
4 gb ram (will update this probably during summer to 12 gb for that extra push in deus ex hr)
radeon hd 6950 2gb
1 tb hd
23" 1080p monitor (my current is a 16 or 18 so the difference is going to be ridiculous)
new mouse and keyboard that are actually nice as compared to my stock dell bullshit

I'm seriously so pumped for next week it's fucking ridiculous, I'm going to buy Crysis 2 and put that on hella high settings and beat it, then beat new vegas on the highesttt settings :D

so since spring break is next week for me, my brother and I are going to build me the most beast new computer ever to play all the new upcoming games at max graphics settings and spend my spring break drinking soda, eating chips and killing things in videogames. The best part is it's only $1,300 yet will be able to pretty much run everything well even up until skyrim. Soooo pumped.

the beast:
650w power supply
4 gb ram (will update this probably during summer to 12 gb for that extra push in deus ex hr)
radeon hd 6950 2gb
1 tb hd
23" 1080p monitor (my current is a 16 or 18 so the difference is going to be ridiculous)
new mouse and keyboard that are actually nice as compared to my stock dell bullshit

I'm seriously so pumped for next week it's fucking ridiculous, I'm going to buy Crysis 2 and put that on hella high settings and beat it, then beat new vegas on the highesttt settings :D

Beware of filling up all 6 memory banks up with ram. You'll put more stress on the memory controller, and will likely cut memory speed down. That's the trade off- capacity or speed. If you go 12gb Ram, get 3x4gb sticks over the 6x2gb sticks to take advantage of the triple channel speed. Cool setup though. I also recommend upping the wattage on the power supply as well. I had a 650w with an older core2 quad setup with a gtx260 video card and it couldn't keep up especially with 3 hds and 2cds connected to it.

I don't know how much you know, so excuse me if you know this stuff already, but don't cheap out on memory or power supply. Those are the two things where you get what you pay for. :hotjump:

I don't know that stuff but my brother does haha, he's the mega computer nerd of the family so he knows alll about the stuff and hella planned this out (even gave me options for systems depending on price). When i do upgrade to higher RAM in the future yeah I'll do the higher memory sticks instead of more lower memory ones, plus I only have 1 drive I think and 1 hard drive. Basically this new computer is going to be EXCLUSIVELY for gaming and video. I have a computer right now that runs games pretty well but obviously can't do full settings or play the new games so I plan on setting them both up on my desk and using this computer for all my daily activities which over time clutter up a computer and then save the other amazing one for gaming and then transfering movies onto it via an external hard drive so that not only will the hardware keep it game ready for a long time, but the fact that it won't be cluttered up or filled with random stuff will keep it's performance high.

I played and beat those agesss ago, very fun. I used to play a bunch of mods on both of them as well and in max payne 2 play that one level thats in the garage/parking lot with unlimited ammo/all guns/invincibility and just fucking DESTROY shit.

the beast:
650w power supply
radeon hd 6950 2gb
1 tb hd

That's basically the exact system and price I just put together yesterday

Nice! My brother just ordered it online for me and it ended up coming out to $1,294 after tax and shipping and everything but due to them not having a certain type of RAM or something (i'm not a computer person haha) he got a different thing and boosted it up to 8 gb! I'm so excited to play all my games on max settings and an insane resolution finally + crysis 2 at max settings. Next Wednesday cannot come here fast enough...

Speaking of video games, I still haven't finished Dragon Age 2. I haven't played it since about 3 days after release. Hell, I forgot it even existed till I accidentally clicked on the shortcut for it a few minutes ago.

Pretty sure it's the first bioware game that this has happened with. Shame, really.

Lezzing out with Merrill sounds like a boring, stumbling, embarrassing affair. Lezzing out with Isabela was at least funny (the Warden's "Ow, you're poking me"-expression followed by Isabela apologetically removing yet another hidden dagger from her clothing was a nice touch).

Isabella is a pretty awesome character overall. Matter of fact, I like all the party characters except Fenris. What melodramatic douche. Doesn't help that the voice actor sucks and they made him look lame.

The voice actor doesn't suck as such, but he's Balthier (and he did an awesome job at it too). I mean, come on, surely there must be more voice actors to go around? I get tired of hearing the same voices all the time. Well, at least Raphael Sbarge doesn't have a voice in this game (yet). Fine actors and all, but seriously, the same dudes every time? Ugh.

I kinda liked Fenris, by the way, melodramatic isn't the word to describe him. In fact, I like all the characters except annoying Merrill. And huge-chinned Aveline.