Gaming Thread

You most definitely won't have to get a new processor, I'm sure. You've probably got a quad core, right? That's more than enough.

Just make sure you have plenty of RAM (at least 4 gigs) and a big honkin' video card, preferably nVidia.

I'm still running a dual core 3 gig machine with 3 gigs of RAM and a 1 gig video card and there's still no game that is unplayable for me. I'll be getting a new PC in January, though.

I know I don't need to, I just have an obsession with running all games on max settings haha. My perfectionist in my creeps out in quite non productive ways in that manner, but I'm beyond excited for Skyrim and can't even believe how good it looks considering how gigantic the game is supposed to be (they even said 300 hours maybe, what the fucking fuck). I'm kinda bummed I missed a lot of the stuff tonight on the e3 stream but looking back I don't care about all that much of it and now it'll be easier since I'll only have to check in for times of games I really want to see. Through looking at more Human Revolution stuff will probably just be torture due to the fact that I want to finish it so badly it's unbelievable.

Placed another order at the eBay-shop close to me:

SMT: Digital Devil Saga
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2 Collector's Ed
SMT: Nocturne / Lucifer's Call
Suikoden V (can't find 3 anywhere, it seems there's no PAL version :( )
Shadow of the Colossus
FF: Dirge of Cerberus
Okami
Star OCean: Til The End of Time

... That last one's a bit of a gamble, but I'm pretty sure I can do no wrong with the other ones.

Star Ocean 3 is really good it just has a bad plot twist.

Nocturne is going to rock your socks off. I mean it. I played that bastard for about 100 hours before I beat it and I enjoyed every second. It's hard until you get used to it. I would play on the easier of the two difficulty options if I were you. Waaaay harder than Persona. The atmosphere is so good and so dark. It's the most grim SMT game by far. Remember, if you want the "True Demon Ending" and Dante, you gotta go through the "Lambryinth" as you progress through the game. This is basically hell, and has some serious puzzles you'll have to deal with, and makes the game a lot harder. Also, I believe you will have to seek out the 8 optional "Fiend" bosses. It's very rewarding to finish though, and there was one part in the Lambryinth that scared me so much I had nightmares. Plus, you get to fight god. And the "true" boss, I won't spoil who that is but it's one of the coolest boss fights in any game ever. When Eric said it was the best JRPG of all time, he wasn't kidding.

I hate Digital Devil saga but a lot of people like it. The steam punk setting is definitely cool.

Shadow of The Colossus is decent.

Suikoden 5 is good but damn I wish you could have found 3.

I've got to say, you made an awesome purchase and you're going to be very happy!

I have not but I've heard really good things about it. The art style looks amazing.

Oh, one last thing about Nocturne. You'll get to build your character's attributes, you'll definitely want to go either pure fighter or pure mage, because doing both really isn't viable. I would suggest mage for a few reasons. There's plenty of physical demons to acquire anyway, and exploiting elemental weakness is key to getting extra turns. Also there's only one attack animation anyway, and it gets old watching your main character punch the same way through the entire game. I was a pure fighter and it can work but it doesn't become viable until very late in the game.

Question:

If I buy a PS3 here in Italy but order games from Amazon in the UK, would they still work? They're both PAL so they should still work, right? They're both the same region, too, but I heard that PS3 games don't have regions, so you could conceivably play it anywhere in the world.

I have not but I've heard really good things about it. The art style looks amazing.
Yeah, same here. I'm really curious about that one.

Oh, one last thing about Nocturne.
Huh. Alright. I usually go for fighter/healer hybrids so best not take that path then. But I don't like mages... :(

Question:

If I buy a PS3 here in Italy but order games from Amazon in the UK, would they still work? They're both PAL so they should still work, right? They're both the same region, too, but I heard that PS3 games don't have regions, so you could conceivably play it anywhere in the world.
PAL = PAL, so yeah, they'll work. Just don't buy NTSC (US) stuff.

Fighter can definitely work, it's just that doing both is going to spread your stats too thin and you'll find your other party members way more useful than you are.

ps3 games are region free so don't worry about any of that

as for okami, it's a beautiful game but people either love or hate the type of game.

Same goes for Shadow of the Colossus, which I regard as one of the greatest games out there :)

nocturne is pretty fun too

I don't even know who dropped the ball harder at E3.

Microsoft was terrible. Only exclusive that mattered was Halo 4, way too much emphasis on that stupid Kinect no one is going to use.

Sony was eh. The Vita won't sell any better than the PSP did, probably worse due to Nintendo dominating the hand held market.

Nintendo announced another gimick console that isn't even powerful enough to be considered next gen, and of course the same rehashed first party games for the 3DS. Their stock plummeted in the last two days after announcement.

as for okami, it's a beautiful game but people either love or hate the type of game. Same goes for Shadow of the Colossus, which I regard as one of the greatest games out there :)
Yeah, most of my gaming friends concur that Okami and SotC are pretty awesome. Which is good :)

I don't even know who dropped the ball harder at E3.
Which is why PC will always be the ultimate gaming platform :)

Cool. Right now, that PAL/NTSC thing is fucking dumb (if you have an LCD tv). It only matters if you have a cathode-ray tube television...they should just do away with the thing altogether. I can play my American PS2 on my European Samsung flat screen tv without a problem. Now that I discovered PS3 games don't have regions, there's literally no reason whatsoever as to why you wouldn't buy the cheapest PS3 on the market in the world, so long as you don't fry the power supply or have a transformer.

It's just another way for companies to fuck consumers out of more money, and I'm glad it's going the way of record companies.

I feel bad for DX:HR, if it weren't for Skryim I believe it'd win GOTY hands down. The only thing I could imagine people not liking is the graphics (which is a really lame thing but some people just can't respect art direction that isn't OMGHYPERREALISM) and the game is just amazing. Even with the beta I went back to see what I could've done and things branch and change a lot and there was one serious interaction that I completely missed all together due to not having a certain skill which means I missed out on some back story. Being able to go back through a 1/4th of the game multiple times and seeing completely different things and having your gameplay massively changed is ridiculous and i almost never do this in games sadly.

I seriously can't wait for this and can't wait until the reviews start rolling out and the game catches on like wildfire. My preorder cannot come soon enough and I hope the game gets all the recognition it deserves so more developers realize you can actually innovate and do unique things in a game without selling less instead of just making a million games or sequels that are exactly the same (coughtmodernwarfarethreecough).