Gaming Thread

Yes Chris. It is actually a lot of fun. I was a bit skeptical about it when I saw its release. I did not like Deception or Armageddon and I thought this just might be the same crap. I was wrong.

They brought back a lot of classic stuff. For example, you are going to see the same stages, and pretty much a UMK3 line-up. The added x-ray moves are cool and are very powerful if you can link them at the end of your combo.

Lots of unlockable stuff, and more than one Fatality for each character. They also brought back the Krypt, so you can unlock tons of cool stuff.

They added so many things into this game. If you are a fan of the old games, I recommend giving this one a shot.

Got the day it went on sale and I love it. Brings me back. Online is laggy as hell but I'm sure the bugs will be worked out soon. Kabal and Reptile ftw.

So, I know there's been a post about shmups and bullethells here in the past but one more for you (copied from my facebutt)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kcaRwmLrqw&feature=related[/ame]

Like games? Like arcade-style shmups? Bored? Give Touhou 12.8 a shot! It's a lot more approachable than you would think considering it's bullet-hell. With a little time and effort you'll be blazing through stages and thinking to yourself HOW AM I STILL SINGLE? Okay, maybe not that last part.

LINKS:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7e0idhz8qclml7o - GAME
http://www.gensokyo.org/english-translations (navigate to Touhou 12.8) - ENGLISH PATCH

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Install:
Simply unzip the game into a folder of your choice, drag the patch in there as well. Run the patch and then click on the th128e icon and you're set! Controls are as follows:

Up/Left/Down/Right = movement
Shift = Slow mo
Z = Ice shot that you charge to unleash a massive chain reaction to destroy other on screen
X = Bomb
C = Rapid shot

Basic Strategy:

Use the whole screen: You'll learn quickly in this game that to navigate you'll have to get awfully close to enemies, never hug the bottom of the screen or you'll end up dead quickly.

Take it all in: You'll realize that you'll not focus entirely on your Cirno or the enemy but a number of the time you'll carry a slightly fuzzy focus on the entire screen. I normally hold fire all of the time while focusing on shot streams starting up and the ones closest to me.

Grazing: Keep in mind that the closer you get to bullets without touching them, the more power you will gain for ice shot/rapid shot. Also your points will be greatly increased

Streaming: The basic principle of controlling bullets in bullet hell shooters. The majority of the enemy shots are aimed at you, so by standing still, you're luring the enemies to shoot at the spot you're in. To take advantage of this, move as little as possible so that you can gather all aimed bullets in one tight stream slowly following you from one side. This way, you can dodge most of the incoming bullet bursts with just a small tap away from the stream, giving yourself more freedom to move in case of emergency.

Ice shot: It's basic use is to create a field of ice that hits bullets, any bullets within a certain area will also freeze. However, fireballs can only be frozen with Bomb. A good strategy to keep Cirno's (main character) motivation up is to shoot enemies until they're nearly dead and then Ice-shot them to finish the deed. You end up receiving a lot more motivation points and can continue to use ice shot. Keep in mind, when a bullet is frozen it is no longer harmful even while still on screen.

Good luck guys! If you would like any more information on these or other bullet-hell shooters, get at me or check out http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/
========================================================

.dll error Note:

For those that you that get a .dll file error for some reason (uncommon but not unheard of) snag this: http://www.dll-files.com/pop.php?dll=d3dx9_42 It's a direct-X component. Not some crazy trojan. Noobs don't know bout those dynamic load libraries.

Some new Skyrim info

9 seperate bounties for each of the different regions, including different types of jails.

Companions (Warrior Guild) College of Winterhold (Remember the Mages Guild split into the College of Whisperers and the Synod) Dark Brotherhood, Morag Tong, Thieves GuildMichael Kirkbride is back

Each city has a unique economy, which the player can sabotage

60,000 line of recorded dialogue, more voice actors.

If Dragons are injured enough they can't fly.

Horses Confirmed-Should be much more realistic and handle better than Oblivion.

New Dragon Shouts: "Yol Toor"- Fire breath, "Iiz Slen" - Ice crystals, "Strun Bah Qo" - Lightning Storm. There are two others mentioned, not in the Dragon Language, Slow Time and Whirlwhind Spirit (Move quickly in one direction)

Non-weapon items are back

Higher altitudes show dynamic severe weather

Racism is back

130+ large unique dungeons

8 different types of environments

Most importantly Michael Kirkbride is back. The man that made Morrowind what it was.

god dammit this sounds fucking awesome. I seriously cannot wait for this and even though my pc is totally fine, by the end of summer and all my jobs i'll have a dickload of money so i think i'll buy a new processor as that is the weakest part of my rig (in comparison to the others, still a beast tho).

this may sound stupid but how can they have the dark brotherhood AND morag tong? if i remember right wasn't the dark brotherhood an assassins group led by a vampire dude and the morag tong was basically the same thing but backed by the government? I probably won't even end up messing with a city's economy or doing a lot of the features (in the DXHR beta since it's so short i'm trying to do literally EVERYTHING and i'm surprised how many there are that i would've almost positively skipped over were I playing the real game, i gotta take more time on games) but a lot of that sounds great.

how in the fucking fuck will they possibly bring The Witcher 2 to the 360? Not only is the game giant (like 16 gb if i remember right) but the graphics are insaneeellyy high and rape even the toughest pc's. can the 360 even do that level of direct x and a lot of the other options like the lighting shafts, ssao or even a remotely far draw distance? the only way i could see that working is if they pretty much dropped the settings to medium-low, optimized the FUCK out of it, made the draw distances very near and added much longer loads.

I'm having a really hard time deciding between a Dunmer Battlemage or a Dunmer pure mage which would allow me to also make a Nord pure warrior. My stealth character will either be Bosmer or Argonian depending on who looks cooler.

Edit-Yeah, Morag Tong was indeed a typo for Dark Brotherhood.

I know a lot of people didn't like Oblivion including Max and Kevin (and who could blame you? Oblivion was bad) But, Skyrim will be the spiritual successor to Morrowind and the second coming of Vehk! Look guys, Mammoths!

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9962/mammoths.jpg

I played the DNF demo and I gotta say, I really hope that's not the final version. Games today are really expensive and while I'm not poor, I can't imagine paying $60 to play that game. It's really disappointing because I love Duke3d but the fact that the demo was super short, straight up not entertaining (the first level was ok but the second one bored me), sketchy graphics going on in terms of some weird effects, and only being able to hold 2 weapons (WHAT THE FUCK) really just gave me the wrong impression. I'm thinking now I'm going to have to wait and see if I want to actually purchase it, as paying $60 to run through a decent game once is not worth it. There are so many other games with 100's of hours of gameplay (DX:HR, Skyrim to name my pre-order ones) that there's no way I'd go for that.

DX:HR makes me want to scour every area of detroit and then replay it to try and get all the bonuses such as no alarms, no one seeing you etc. Duke didn't even make me want to replay the demo to see what I had potentially missed. :(

I feel really bad for the people who bought the Balls Of Steel edition which is $100. Even best case scenario, I'd imagine this game getting an 85%. It's going to be fun I think but there are just a lot of things which are going to be a real bummer, and choices like being able to only hold 2 weapons when a huge part of Duke Nukem is fucking around with all the crazy weapons is an awful idea. Only 10 more days or so until it's out in NA so everyone will know soon enough.

Damn, hopefully I can check out some and don't miss a bunch. My obsession with having the perfect running game is going to kill me when it comes to Skyrim haha; I'll probably have to get a new processor since it's the weakest link in my computer despite the fact that my computer is completely new and totally fine in terms of running it. Yet to see those amazing landscapes they must be perrrrrfect :mad:

edit: been watching e3, so far some is great, some is pretty meh. I caught about 15 minutes of Skyrim (which looked and sounded fucking AMAZING holy shit), Mass effect 3 looked great (except don't give a fuck about kinect), Battlefield 3 looks like it's set up to kick the complete shit out of modern warfare 3 (plus is out on my birthday ^_^) and for me that was it really. the other shitty kinect games and microsoft trying to take over the kids market with kids playing lame ass kinect games and over acting was really lame and pretty much everything else I saw didn't impress me at all. I wish i could sit here and watch most of this but sadly I've got stuff to do today, hopefully I'll be able to catch some stuff later.

oh, also the dude in that specific coverage is a fucking douche. he basically talks way too much and covers up what the developers are trying to say and really annoys me. i'd switch to ign but instead of getting demos like this it seems like they just rebroadcast the previous things.

i haven't seen all that much in mass effect 3 (just watching a demo now, the only thing that sketches me out is its reallly combat oriented so i'm hoping they don't make it a 100% action game and lose the rpg elements, plus the cover prompts and melee attacks really reek of deus ex human revolution but shittier ) but it seems ok, what do you have against it john? i'd agree it seems like it's getting way too action and the melee and cover stuff is kinda weak from what i've seen but the graphics look nice (not a huge difference, but nice) and i assume the story will be good.

Damn, hopefully I can check out some and don't miss a bunch. My obsession with having the perfect running game is going to kill me when it comes to Skyrim haha; I'll probably have to get a new processor since it's the weakest link in my computer despite the fact that my computer is completely new and totally fine in terms of running it. Yet to see those amazing landscapes they must be perrrrrfect :mad:

edit: been watching e3, so far some is great, some is pretty meh. I caught about 15 minutes of Skyrim (which looked and sounded fucking AMAZING holy shit), Mass effect 3 looked great (except don't give a fuck about kinect), Battlefield 3 looks like it's set up to kick the complete shit out of modern warfare 3 (plus is out on my birthday ^_^) and for me that was it really. the other shitty kinect games and microsoft trying to take over the kids market with kids playing lame ass kinect games and over acting was really lame and pretty much everything else I saw didn't impress me at all. I wish i could sit here and watch most of this but sadly I've got stuff to do today, hopefully I'll be able to catch some stuff later.

You most definitely won't have to get a new processor, I'm sure. You've probably got a quad core, right? That's more than enough.

Just make sure you have plenty of RAM (at least 4 gigs) and a big honkin' video card, preferably nVidia.

I'm still running a dual core 3 gig machine with 3 gigs of RAM and a 1 gig video card and there's still no game that is unplayable for me. I'll be getting a new PC in January, though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that DNF will be the Chinese Democracy of video games.
pretty much already is, dont you think? delayed for so long with so many updates and changes that no one is really that excited anymore except maybe hardcore fans, and its been built up for so long its guaranteed not to live up to expectations, and most likely wont even be good on its own merits either.