Gaming Thread

I can't wait for what the 3rd witcher game will be and i realllyy hope the response and console porting doesn't cause the developers to make the next game super console friendly. i can't believe how much content, story and effort they put into this game considering SPOILER you literally miss an entire area of a town if you go with a different faction. SPOILER. i mean basically just doing 20 hours or so that some people won't even see and not even counting side quests? absolute insanity, completely awesome, and puts mass effect and it's attempts at branching storyline/dialogue to fucking SHAME. the fact that you don't know if what you're doing is right is beyond great and i've had to sit sometimes trying to figure things out, that's real immersion. the only downside was the crafting/armor as you get tons of items that don't really go to things right off the bat/are hard to figure out where they go to yet take up precious inventory space and after a while the armors look fairly similar (no metal or any other unique types). other than that, i've had a blast getting so much out of the game and might even go back for a 3rd playthrough.

console porting/gaming seriously is killing pc gaming and even though i know its dramatic to say that its really true. if the witcher 3 is dumbed down for consoles i'm going to be pissed because its not often we get an amazing game that is truly made for the power and depth a pc can handle.

Same here. It's weird, because I love Oblivion and I was soooo intrigued about Morrowwind. The thing I cannot get over, no matter how hard I try (and I've tried, believe me), is the lack of spoken dialogue. I played MW after Oblivion, and it's such a step backwards to have to read all the conversations. It takes so much time and makes the whole game feel antiquated. If I could get past that, there's undoubtedly a solid game to be played.

More than solid. The best RPG ever made. Unlike Oblivion, which was terrible.

... and yet it so lazily featured a villain that just sat in a cave waiting for the hero to come and kill him.

Besides, Daggerfall > (MW + OB)

You mean the villain that was guarding the Heart of Lorkhan so he could keep growing more powerful while the Tribunal weakened? Who couldn't leave red mountain yet because the Tribunal built the ghost gate to keep him in? A lazy villain who was spreading corprus disease across the land through mind control? A lazy villian who guarded the sacred tools for Nerevar for centuries? A lazy villain who intended to construct Numidium to take over Morrowind?

Of course he waited for his old best friend to confront him. Until he was named Nerevarine, there was no way to know if he was truly the reincarnation or not. There was nothing lazy about it.

Lazy was Oblivon. ALL OF IT. Next to sex, Oblivion was the most disappointing thing in my entire life.

I respect your opinion, but I think it's based on nostalgia.

Morrowind > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Redguard > Battlespire > Arena

Skyrim is already better than Oblivion, may or may not be better than Morrowind, but I doubt it.

The story in Morrowind was ten times deeper than that of Oblivion.

Honest, unbiased opinion here. It was several hundred times deeper.

PLEASE read this article, you guys. It's only one page. I've put thousands of hours into Morrowind, and this article taught me things I never knew.

http://fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-3/

Oblivion had such a stupid plot. Find the heir, collect artifacts, Martin turns into Akatosh. Stupid...ZERO lore in Oblivion, good thing Michael Kirkbride is back for Skyrim.

By the way, the thing Martin turned into, Akatosh? The Nords call him Alduin. It's kind of like he's bi-polar. So the boss of Skyrim will be Akatosh, but a variation of him.

There's a good chance Dovakhiin will be powered by Lorkhan (The Nords call him Shor) to destroy Alduin in Skyrim. Since Shor was the one who fooled the Aedra into creating the world. So Dovakhin could also be the Shezzarine.

You mean the villain that was guarding the Heart of Lorkhan so he could keep growing more powerful while the Tribunal weakened? Who couldn't leave red mountain yet because the Tribunal built the ghost gate to keep him in? A lazy villain who was spreading corprus disease across the land through mind control? A lazy villian who guarded the sacred tools for Nerevar for centuries? A lazy villain who intended to construct Numidium to take over Morrowind?
Yes. A lazy villain who sat in his cave waiting for the hero to come and kill him.

You don't get it. The character wasn't lazy, the developers were lazy to not make the villain any more active. Sure, they wrapped it in story and lore, but in the end, he's still just a dude who sits in a cave waiting to get killed by the hero. Lazy storytelling and game developing, no matter how much lore you paint around it.

Lazy was randomly generated dungeons and forest in Oblivion. Lazy was having Martin take down Mehrunes in Oblivion. Lore aside, Dagoth Ur was interesting. Not to mention unique.

But I respect your opinion, as always.

You don't get it. The character wasn't lazy, the developers were lazy to not make the villain any more active. Sure, they wrapped it in story and lore, but in the end, he's still just a dude who sits in a cave waiting to get killed by the hero. Lazy storytelling and game developing, no matter how much lore you paint around it.

I see where you're coming from and I can understand both what you and John are saying. To John it's wrapped in the story and there are reasons why he stayed in the cave (which justifies it) while for you the underlying idea still is that they wanted to do that instead of have him affect even more parts of the game and do other things, so they put those ideas around it. I agree with both but tbh I never had a problem with him being there as he did affect the game world. In the end I pretty much listen to what John says because he's obsessed with the game and that helps me haha

I didn't know about developers missing on oblivion etc. I never had a problem with the story, but I wasn't enough into the universe. If skyrim could have the style I vaguely remember from morrowind with the innovation/technology/massive freedom of today then that would definitely be absolutely amazing.

also this is unrelated to that but the bioshock infinite demo posted above looks AMAZING! I saw it yesterday and was so pumped, the only thing i don't like is how it feels really scripted and guides you along (yes I know you could choose to or not stop the execution etc) and it almost feels like an interactive movie or call of duty style. i was still really impressed but that made me a little bit worried.

also sorry to double post but thanks for posting that article about Vivec, that was really interesting. if that guy who did all that stuff is coming back for skyrim that's really fucking awesome; i found the thing about vivec essentially using the player and the outside world in the game yet hidden in the text very interesting and far deeper than games regularly go. reminded me of psycho mantis in metal gear solid and how much of a kick i got out of that the first time and having to change the controller, really fucking cool and it actually makes me think about real life and mathematics and god (still agnostic but an interesting thought to ponder). if he can come up with something that cool for skyrim, i'll be pumped as hell and this was the straw that broke the camels back, i'm going to go back and play the original morrowind with maybe some graphics mods to get the real experience.

Morrowind was one of the last games I actually played. Still remember how I loved reading every book I found in the game. The story was so great. But I must admit that there's a lot of repetition (always the same enemies, npc-looks, dungeon-designs) in the game, so it can easily get boring; played it though for like 59234235 hours.

I think the entire reason why I feel Morrowind is superior is that you have to literally go on an epic journey and become someone else entirely in order to defeat him. Oblivion had cooler stuff like talking people and better graphics, but the story and system overall was seriously dumbed down. You didn't really have to do anything to beat the game. Hell, I only shut down like 6 or 7 gates before I finished it.

I did feel that the side quests were much better and much more story-driven in Oblivion, like with the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild.

As far as poetry goes, Michael Kirkbride is my god.

http://elderscrolls.blogspot.com/2005/10/loveletter-from-fifth-era.html

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/vehks-teaching

He was the art, story, writer, and did some of the quest designs for Morowind. They brought him back on Shivering Isles, also.

haha wow then i'm even MORE excited for skyrim as I'm just finishing up the shivering isles and I think it's AMAZING. seriously, the characters are actually interesting and have far more personality than i felt in oblivion (and i LOVE oblivion) and i actually couldn't wait to hear what shaeogorath would say and do next. with morrowind's depth and shivering isles considering i can't wait to see what they do with skyrim. the only thing i'm concerned about is that they have more unique areas. oblivion was pretty typical and skyrim seems like it'll be that way as well with mountains and tundra being about it (with oblivion having mountains and plains/farmland) yet morrowind had microclimates all over the place and the difference between balmora and that one city with the huge dust storm was insane. i lost my morrowind goty box so i think i'm going to get it off steam for like $14, play that a bit, then check out morroblivion and see how it transfered over.

one thing i would personally like for skyrim (or any upcoming rpg) is if your choices determined how your character looked a bit. if you have max strength you shouldn't be the same build and other skills should influence that as well. the evil/good thing i don't mind as that's really cliche as when you become more evil you look that way, but seriously it'd be nice to see different body types reflect your character or things like skin tone if you're magic (they tend to be pale for some reason) or scars if you're constantly fighting (maybe more lean if you're a stealth and athletic character). i remember fable originally said they'd do these things when it was announced yet it didnt end up really working that well because peter always overstates everything.