Gaming Thread

just finished Honest Hearts in preparation for Old World Blues and man, what a shitty dlc. it was seriously boring, had no new creatures, almost nothing unique and was ridiculously short. granted i skipped 2 fetch quests (which i checked, didn't have rewarding spoils anyway) but it was still short and the ending was very anti climactic. I'm really hoping old world blues is good but i'm going to wait to see a review of it before i buy it; theres no way i'm paying $5 for another piece of shit and i'll dl it if its going to be shit. the brotherhood of steel dlc for fo3 was great and let you play after the main quest, the pitt was ok, point lookout was pretty damn cool, the only one that was sub par (or about the quality of honest hearts) was operation anchorage. hell, i didn't like dead money much and it was wayyy better.

Do I suck or is Planescape supposed to be really hard?

I'm level 6 and going to the place Pharoads daughter found my corpse, and these guys are killing the shit out of me. Oh, about Annah, I read you get her in Pharoads court, did I miss her or am I supposed to go back there later?

Cant believe each NV DLC is $10. seriously, honest hearts was over so fast I couldn't believe it, when it said there was no going back i thought it was for that specific quest but when the entire thing ended I was baffled. it took me maybe 5 hours at the absolute most, and i did do some side quests and exploring as well. fucking ripoff. of course though i'm going to buy old world blues for the level cap raise (i'm on max level now) as well as the new gear/story and enemies. it looks to be better than honest hearts and i'm really hoping it is, and hopefully i can find a review tonight before i dl and play it but i guess it won't matter since i'll be playing it anyway. damn you shitty expensive dlc, this one better be amazing or i'm going to just say fuck it and install a bunch of mods (went on new vegas nexus and found like 5 super cool ones i want to try which look like good time eaters).

works for me. I'd take a more expensive but much longer dlc anyy day.

good news everyone! old world blues is actually pretty fucking fun. I can't fully assess it as I haven't finished it, but I've spent a good 4 hours on it so far and the characters are interesting, funny, the plot/setting is fairly unique and theres a tonnn of new stuff to mess around with and gear to collect which is really cool. the only downside is it can be a bit overwhelming since its a really open map and theres a lot of side stuff to do and sometimes the humor can feel a bit forced, but other than that it's really fun and seriously sucked me in. I'm just taking a break now to eat dinner but I'm pumped to jump back in and start on the main quest a little bit and see what happens with the character interactions/some of the things I've been working on. If it can keep this up or get better you guys should DEFINITELY check it out, completely stomps all over honest hearts.

haha didn't even think of that but seriously, guys, get the new dlc today. out of all the DLC for Fallout 3 or New Vegas this is the most extensive yet that I've played (BOS only wins by letting you play past the main quest and the world changes that happen after) and is like Point Lookout but with wayy more stuff. There can be a lot of repetition but there is a tonn of unique weapons, armor and new stuff included. Tons of voice work, new things with the environment interacting with you, interesting characters all over and seriously everything is meticulously done so things aren't just thrown in. Rooms and areas you find have meaning behind the stuff there, and there's an interesting backstory and good use of items that really makes things feel real and personal and it ties into the other courier very well and makes me quite interested in the conclusion since it seems he plays a big part in all this and they're expanding on it a lot more than you think just in the original game where he's just a guy who doesn't get the chip.

I'm baffled at how good it is and am extremely glad, this reminds me of point lookout but with a more fun environment and more stuff. you can tell that they coded a bunch of new stuff and really changed the game up, as opposed to just making new skins for the environment and not really adding anything. do yourself a favor and get this shit now if you can, if not only for the level cap raise and all the crazy and unique weapons/armor/perks/talents/things that will add to your game. if the last dlc can be as good as this i'll be beyond pumped. i hate dlc and pre-order bonuses as they're really cheap (have to pre-order human revolution from gamestop to get an exclusive mission I really want which means on release day i have to go out to the nearest game stop and pick it up, only to go home and install it on steam again instead of just downloading it, fucking retarded) but this is worth it.

tl;dr get Old World Blues, thank me later.

Do I suck or is Planescape supposed to be really hard?
Planescape is hard, yes, especially when you rush through it. Going to Pharod's court too early might not be such a good idea. Be sure you do all there is to do in Sigil first. Are you still a Fighter?

Oh, about Annah, I read you get her in Pharoads court, did I miss her or am I supposed to go back there later?
Annah joins automatically, so don't fret about it. I *think* she joins when you get back from the catacombs the first time, either when you go to search for the Bronze Sphere for Pharod, or when you return with it.

Also, whatever you do, HOLD ON TO THE BRONZE SPHERE. You'll thank me at the end of the game.

And yeah, Old World Blues is great so far. But what the Hell am I supposed to do with all those Mentats? :p

SPOILERKINDA I really like how they use the mentats as the drug of choice for all the brains/scientists etc. basically like how the fiends and raiders use psycho and med-x like opiates and stimulants, the scientists use mentats as like some sort of amphetamine/less high stimulant. in some of the things you read (like in the camp) it talks about people doing too many mentats and needing to hold off, basically going into psychosis and it adds another dark layer to the entire area of these crazy mad scientists on drugs basically taking them constantly. I've been using them some and selling them haha SPOILERKINDAEND

Planescape is hard, yes, especially when you rush through it. Going to Pharod's court too early might not be such a good idea. Be sure you do all there is to do in Sigil first. Are you still a Fighter?

Annah joins automatically, so don't fret about it. I *think* she joins when you get back from the catacombs the first time, either when you go to search for the Bronze Sphere for Pharod, or when you return with it.

Also, whatever you do, HOLD ON TO THE BRONZE SPHERE. You'll thank me at the end of the game.

And yeah, Old World Blues is great so far. But what the Hell am I supposed to do with all those Mentats? :p

Will do, thanks!

She never joined me, maybe I killed her accidentally.

The ghost already killed Pharoad after I brought him back the sphere. I hope you're right.

Ugh! Bethesda is pissing me off. It's one thing to not let Battlemages use two handers, but you can't block with a weapon/spell st up now? That is BULLSHIT!

The ghost already killed Pharoad after I brought him back the sphere. I hope you're right.

Ugh! Bethesda is pissing me off. It's one thing to not let Battlemages use two handers, but you can't block with a weapon/spell st up now? That is BULLSHIT!

so to block i'd have to have either 2 weapons or a sword and shield? and if i have say a healing spell and a sword I can't block? that really blows. hopefully the interface for changing weapons/spells and everything is really intuitive and fast and easy to use (i've been thinking about that, since it'd suck having to switch through menus all the time and pausing etc, since with oblivion yeah you had to change which spell you were using, but you could keep your weapon and spell for a while, whereas with this if you wanted to cast different spells you'd have to be changing the stuff in your hand tons of times and if that were done through pausing and menus that'd be seriously so boring and slow it'd feel turn based) or else it's going to be a huge problem using multiple spells and i'll probably end up sticking to my favorite sword and spell which would be a huge bummer and limit trying new things.

technically though in terms of realism that does make sense though. it's odd because obviously the elder scrolls series does NOT aim to have realism haha, but in real life if you were using a sword in one hand you couldn't block a blow coming from another sword or axe. people who would use a sword to block would have to hold 2 hands onto the base of the sword, because to hold your sword steady and block the incoming force from your opponent or parry it away takes a lot of strength and grip; with one hand holding the sword they'd essentially hit your sword and break through it by bending your hand so the sword goes back into you/their sword slashes you or flat out knock it out of your hand. to have enough forearm strength and grip to be able to actually hold your weapon with one hand and block/parry attacks away from strong enemies would be flat out impossible. man i realllyy hope they make changing the things in your hands through weapons/spells very intuitive and quick or this will flat out fuck shit up.

Correct. To block, you have to be dual wielding, using a two hander, or have a shield. It just urks me because this whole "assign a spell or weapon to each hand" is such a useless gimmick. The system in Oblivion was fine, there is no need to change it.

Ah, well. I'm happy to hear Winterhold will indeed be a Dunmer city. I just gotta decide how I'm going to do my characters...

I'm thinking the Dunmer Battlemage will do College of Winterhold, Dark Brotherhood, and the mainquest. Nordic Berserker will do The Companions, Arena (if there is one). That leaves the stupid Thieves Guild which neither of those characters feels right for.

I'm hoping to make it to Quake-Con in Dallas next month, where the game is open to the public.

Yeah I didn't mind the system in Oblivion since it was easy to use (the pausing to change spells was a bummer, but theres no real way around that) and when you're in the heat of battle hacking and slashing and casting healing spells as you dodge away, having to change the stuff in your hands and whatnot would be a gigantic fucking pain.

Also you do multiple characters for different guilds? damn man, that's dedication haha! i just make a character who looks badass and a little like me (don't have long hair but i have my characters have it anyway just because), make them a warrior/basically a combat character with speech and a little bit of stealth skill for stealing and then get going. there is sooo much to do in any bethesda game i never need to do multiple play throughs because I never even 100% them haha (I get close; i've got 100 in morrowind, 2 plays of oblivion about 60 each, 50 in fallout 3, 65 in new vegas; but no cigar).

hope you get to go to see the game though! definitely come back with some info, I can't wait to play that game and between waiting for that and Human Revolution it's killing me!

Just finished old world blues and loved it. best dlc ever for fallout, seriously. i'm going to reload a save before i got close to the ending to make sure i explore the entire place/do all the stuff and then finish it again with the same things I did because I really liked my ending, but damn still a good feeling and 3 days of play for it isn't bad. now back to deus ex, deus ex 2 and then trying to finish shivering isles.