Gaming Thread

ok, deep rpg elements by MY standards because I'm not an actual turn based rpg guy; so yes to everyone else it'd be bare bones but to me i love it due to the customization of the weapons/armor which affects their stats, the different skills that affect even things as simple as how well you can fire/use a certain type of gun, etc.
But, see, all of that has already been done, by games that did it way better. The "skill affects crosshair tightness" mechanic has been around since Deus Ex, who premiered it, and did it far better than Alpha Protocol. Bloodlines had the same mechanic, and again, implemented it far better. No, Alpha Protocol isn't a bad game, but it's absolutely not good enough to spend your money on, and I really hate to say this, because Obsidian still has a lot of status in my eyes, but that's just the way it is. It's a poor game. Not bad, but poor.

how do u guys play all these fucking games. do you download them and burn them, buy them, rent them? fuck,
I just buy them.

I am going to jump on this thread to say within the past 2 months I've played through Final Fantasy VI Advance (Game Boy Advance), Conker's Bad Fur Day (Nintendo 64), and Wonder Boy III (Sega Mega Drive). I don't think many share my taste in games...

But, see, all of that has already been done, by games that did it way better. The "skill affects crosshair tightness" mechanic has been around since Deus Ex, who premiered it, and did it far better than Alpha Protocol. Bloodlines had the same mechanic, and again, implemented it far better. No, Alpha Protocol isn't a bad game, but it's absolutely not good enough to spend your money on, and I really hate to say this, because Obsidian still has a lot of status in my eyes, but that's just the way it is. It's a poor game. Not bad, but poor.

I just buy them.

Yeah I see all your points, but again I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder really for this one. I really dig it, though I find myself more into the dialogue and cutscenes than the actual gameplay a lot of the time haha, it just feels like its there to establish some things to move it forward. The whole point my brother included it in the games he got me for christmas was because it was similar to deus ex; deus ex is my favorite series and sadly there aren't enough games out there like it so i try whatever I can get my hands on that is decently reviewed (and this fit the bill), but Ive never tried the Vampire game. probably should after I finish stalker and shivering isles before human revolution comes out.

I'm also in the buying on steam group. i used to pirate alll the time because it was so much work going to the stores, buying the games for $60 etc and I just didn't like it at all. Once I got steam it all changed (also i started making more money, that helped) and i literally bought tons of games (and repurchased some old games i had but lost or pirated like an idiot). I mostly buy during the sales when I see a game i've wanted to try at a ridiculous price, but if its a new game i realllyy want I'll just do the 10% off thing they usually have (going to do this for human revolution, bf3, skyrim, rage, but nothing else). the sales are great because they give people the chance to check out games for cheap that they wouldn't have otherwise, get them into the series and at least provide some money to the publishers. fuckin love steam.

I buy some games, download others. Usually the games I buy are from Steam so it's not so expensive.

As far as FPS games go, Crysis and Crysis 2 are the only games in the last 7 years or so that actually took a few days to finish instead of a few hours. I love the CoD franchise but not enough to shell out 50 bucks for a game I can beat in 5 hours. I don't give a rat's ass about the multiplayer side of it because I have no interest in listening to shit talking 15 year olds who need their faces kicked in. I want games with a good story, good dialogue and good gameplay; it doesn't have to be an RPG, although I tend to gravitate towards those, even FPS RPGs like Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim etc. This is why very few console games interest me, aside from games like Red Dead Redemption (which is fucking fantastic).

I need depth, immersion, and solid gameplay and most console games just aren't up to par, imo. If I want to just slay a bunch of people, I'll play Unreal Tournament on a PC because consoles fucking suck for FPS...the control on a PC is infinitely better. However, you can only play the "boom boom you fall down herpa derp" games for so long before you tire of them. Usually after an hour I'm already bored, so I need something that makes me think, that involves me intimately in the story, and games like Mass Effect do just that.

I love the CoD franchise but not enough to shell out 50 bucks for a game I can beat in 5 hours. I don't give a rat's ass about the multiplayer side of it because I have no interest in listening to shit talking 15 year olds who need their faces kicked in.
play it on PC there are far less kids, and even less with mics.

I've been meaning to borrow Red Dead Redemption from a buddy of mine.

I haven't been so blown away by a console game since I first played GTA San Andreas, yet this easily surpasses it. It's truly epic in every sense. I daresay it's worth getting a console for this game alone. It is the Gran Turismo of shoot-em-ups. The only thing you can't do is fuck the whores, but I think that ties into the storyline; your family is being threatened and you are at the whim of other puppet masters. I think if you were able to buy whores like in GTA it would actually detract from the gameplay and story.

Wanna play an evil guy? It doesn't get much more evil/awesome than hogtying a nun to the train tracks:

Also, you gotta play it in HD...it's absolutely gorgeous. Ditch the RCA cables and get an HD cable (if you have an HD tv) and enjoy.

Then I just about pissed myself after this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI8lAbwUoEk&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sold. Getting this thing today. :lol:

Trivia: In exchange for Dante's presence in Nocturne, Kazuma Kaneko, the artist responsible for the character designs in the Shin Megami Tensei series, was brought into the Devil May Cry 3 project to design both Dante and Vergil's devil trigger form.

I'm sure you've already played them but in case you haven't, the Donkey Kong SNES games are fantastic.

There really isn't much that lets you explore the way Zelda does on the SNES, though.

They're numbered differently on the SNES than they were in Japan and on later releases.

2 (4) has aged horribly. It has some interesting characters but the most retarded plot I've ever seen in a game. "Collect the crystals! Oh, you got them? Now go collect the dark crystals!" It's a grind fest, the characters aren't thought out, the plot is really jumpy, not recommended.

3 (6) on the other hand, is still a very solid game, and still hailed by many as the best in the series. Likable characters, decent plot, memorable antagonist, highly recommended.

Chrono Trigger is better than both though, if you haven't played that. It has great atmosphere, music, good plot, probably the most universally loved JRPG out there. Grandia is another great SNES RPG.

But Mario RPG is my favorite SNES game. It's sooooooo good. No grinding, and a great sense of humor.

They actually made this scene worse since the last time I posted it. :lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYd_MfzhuA4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Calling it now. This game will be free to play within a year and a half. Within two years Bioware will be fully absorbed by EA.

regardless, this game looks extremely fucking awesome. as much as bioware get tons of shit (and deserve it), their games are usually pretty damn good story wise, gameplay wise and overall just fun. a lot of flaws, but i definitely dig them near my top games and i fucking love the shit out of star wars. not buying this will be extremely hard, because it seems so damn fun and i never got to play an mmo because of a shitty internet connection; getting to play their newest star wars based rpg story for all those classes and finally play an mmo would be amazing, but the time it would suck out of my life is just unacceptable. DXHR, skryim, rage and bf3 will already do enough of that, i just need to somehow not get this game o_O. I'm secretly hoping it has some flaws that really turn me off so i can make a case against not getting it haha

I want games with a good story, good dialogue and good gameplay; it doesn't have to be an RPG, although I tend to gravitate towards those, even FPS RPGs like Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim etc. This is why very few console games interest me, aside from games like Red Dead Redemption (which is fucking fantastic).

I need depth, immersion, and solid gameplay and most console games just aren't up to par, imo. If I want to just slay a bunch of people, I'll play Unreal Tournament on a PC because consoles fucking suck for FPS...the control on a PC is infinitely better. However, you can only play the "boom boom you fall down herpa derp" games for so long before you tire of them. Usually after an hour I'm already bored, so I need something that makes me think, that involves me intimately in the story, and games like Mass Effect do just that.

Agree on all counts, although I just could not get into Grand Theft Equine at all. It was one of the most graphically impressive games to fall asleep to.
August 23rd cannot come soon enough either.

and i never got to play an mmo because of a shitty internet connection

Sucks to be you. I played EQ from 1999 - 2004, and then WoW from 2004 - 2010. From everything I've seen, SW:TOR looks awful. But I suppose it could be super awesome if it's your first real exposure to the genre.

2 (4) has aged horribly. It has some interesting characters but the most retarded plot I've ever seen in a game. "Collect the crystals! Oh, you got them? Now go collect the dark crystals!" It's a grind fest, the characters aren't thought out, the plot is really jumpy, not recommended.

The DS remake was rather good though.