Gaming Thread

Noticing some stutter on some games on my PS3 slim, usually only at startup and then it goes away after a bit. Anyone else with a PS3 have this problem and know of a fix?

I've checked online and it seems that the slim HD can be the culprit, but I was just curious if anyone here had a clue to the possibility of a setting or something being the culprit as well.

So I have a PC question, I feel like I get texture pop in on pretty much most of my pc games and it really pisses me off. i have a 2 gb card, 3.something intel i5 processor and 8 gb ram so its obviously not the system; how common is texture pop in on pc games? is it something where i'm just expecting the game to be perfectly flowing or have screenshot style graphics and its not that way in real life or is something potentially wrong?

it happens most in bethesda games obviously which i expect, where even on top settings the grass in oblivion and things just pretty much tend to load as i run etc, and it also happens in new vegas and fallout 3 to a smaller extent. it was happening in crysis as well and really is just a huge pain in the ass. its not so bad where i run up to something and then it pops in, but it feels like in a lot of games things aren't pre-loading and i can see them load in or change a bit; is there some sort of global fix for this and it is common or do you think i'm just expecting too much?
I sometimes get the same thing, and I'm suspecting it's DirectX which isn't fully perfected yet.

Amnesia is really fucking scary! Games like Dead Space never scare me because I have enough firepower to kill everything, in this game I feel totally helpless. ;_;

Ok, I'll admit it. I pissed a little. But hey, I'm drunk and I really had to go.

I sometimes get the same thing, and I'm suspecting it's DirectX which isn't fully perfected yet.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, it happens on a lot of games for me yet on some it doesn't happen at all.

Also I clearly need to stop 100% trusting reviews and gamble a bit more on games. Obviously reviews are very important, but sometimes if it seems like something i'd enjoy I just gotta take the plunge; and today I realized this when I played Alpha Protocol. My brother got me like 5 games on Steam for Christmas that he thought i'd like (since the deus ex series is my favorite next to elder scrolls he got me a bunch of action rpg games) and one of them was alpha protocol; i avoided playing it because of the reviews but fuck, i'm glad i decided to give it a shot.

just like the reviews stated it has its faults: the camera is fucking atrocious, some of the environments can be seriously recycled, the ai when it comes to alert and patrol is basically a fucking hivemind, the intro tutorial and beginning of the game is slow as shit, the animations can be fucking ridiculous (especially sneak which you spend a lot of time in) and the action can be tedious. However, none of those ruin the great story (so far, only about 4 hours in), great dialogue, unprecedented choice (makes mass effects dialogue choices/style look fucking dated as all hell), deep rpg elements, and cool universe. its not a shooter really; obviously there are those mechanics but in the end you have to upgrade your skills with experience to get better at using certain weapons and getting techniques etc. the fighting/shooting can be seriously wonky but the choices and universe (being a super spy is pretty sweet and feels pretty fresh) have me fucking glued to my seat. I can't wait to play this shit again tomorrow night.

if only obsidian had a bit longer to fix the camera and animations; they seriously would've gotten at least 8.0's on sites and it's a shame they got lackluster reviews because i hear they're not going to make a 2nd one due to that and publishers not wanting to put money into it since it's a fairly intense project. seriously a huge shame because the story/universe/gameplay is very very different and unique and any bit of uniqueness the industry severely needs.

Yeah I heard the same...it's got elements but just barely from what I understand. Everyone has said that it has the potential for being completely awesome but they missed the mark.

It's such a shame because I really wish Obsidian could make it big from one of their own IP's. I mean hell, every sequel they've done destroyed the original with excellent writing.

Hopefully they made enough money from New Vegas to give it another shot. I honestly think they have the best writers in the entire industry.

33u7cef.jpg

A fantasy roleplaying epic. World design and mechanics by Bethesda, story and writing by Obsidian, cinematics by Bioware, and music created entirely with organic, non-symphonic instruments. Additional writing by George R Martin.

Wouldn't you take your pants off for that?

Don't spend money on Alpha Protocol. It was a well-intentioned attempt from Obsidian, but it's dull and uninteresting, and most aspects are just poorly executed. One point for effort.

ok, deep rpg elements by MY standards because I'm not an actual turn based rpg guy; so yes to everyone else it'd be bare bones but to me i love it due to the customization of the weapons/armor which affects their stats, the different skills that affect even things as simple as how well you can fire/use a certain type of gun, etc. yes its unpolished, yes the camera is awful, yes the sneaking animations are ridiculous, yes the ai can be terrible but seriously, it's not that bad.

i think it's really a game where it's in the eye of the beholder and if you can get past those problems, at least give it a shot because i personally was glued to my seat for 5 hours last night playing it. now it's so cheap there's really no reason not to play it, and at least you're supporting obsidian who tried really damn hard with a unique game but probably got rushed by publisher shit. it's a shame there probably won't be a sequel because if they just polished it up and fixed the camera it would be absolutely amazing; i don't know how anyone can't be engrossed by the dialogue/customization/skill building/choices/and how it greatly affects the world (moreso the characters though, you have small dialogue choices for everything and it affects your reputation with the character in a mucchhh deeper way than mass effect and changes even little things about how they react to you; a million times more in depth than mass effect could ever dream).

yes its unpolished, yes the camera is awful, yes the sneaking animations are ridiculous, yes the ai can be terrible but seriously, it's not that bad.

Ok, I've never played this game but have wanted to for a while, and although I understand what you're saying and you have a valid point, the above quote is like a textbook list of things that make up bad games.

Bad camera work, bad movement/animation, dumb AI, and an overall unpolished feel to a game is like a red flag for me. I'll seriously research this some more, though.

Usually rent them because I'm poor as fuck. If I do buy a game, I trade in a bunch of my old ones for store credit. Been doing that since I was a little kid.

I'm debating on buying Catherine tomorrow or waiting until I can rent it.