Gaming Thread

My only problem so far with the game (aside from some bugs, but that's to be expected) is when they have some characters/fights who are simply overpowered in a cheap way.

Other than Destruction sucking balls in this game (More and more people are finally starting to wake up where as before they would say stupid shit about how strong "stunlocking" Mages are and that there's nothing wrong and that people just aren't smart enough to play a Mage...), I have major issues with the way the game scales certain enemies as well.

It's not that they become impossible, it's just that it's completely illogical. I am playing on Expert right now with a new character, and right at the start you get a "Go kill the bandit leader" quest. At level 7 I go there, smash everyone up to the boss, but guess what? He has a two-hander that can kill you in a single power attack and health that is probably four or five times that of the next toughest enemy. I would not have an issue with this if players could do anything remotely close to how they have the NPCs behave. I don't know if this is actually intentional, or if the perks and combat just don't function correctly for the player. Try using a two-handed weapon. They suck ass. They are ultra slow and if you do a power attack, watch out...because you're going to have follow through with it and you're totally open for a few seconds to whatever the enemy wants to do EVEN IF YOU HIT THEM. Yet NPCs never have this problem and seem to swing 3x faster than what you can with the same weapon.

Enemy Mages also actually hit for 4x - 6x the damage that you can do with the same spells. For real, I've been death touched by an enemy Mage that shot a single lightning bolt on me when I had 380 health. Sounds like yet another coding issue.

On the upside, the dumb elites/cheap enemies that you expect or already know about give you a reason to use poisons and such unless you're going to be dumb and exploit smithing/enchanting for 500 damage weapons. On that first boss I was getting sick of being one-shot, so I looked through my inventory. I had a poison of paralysis (3 sec). "Hmmm" I thought, let me see what this does, and put it on my bow to pull him with. I laughed pretty hard at what happened next. When I shot him with the arrow and he got that green "I'm poisoned!" glow, he became stiff as a board and slowly fell backwards like a door closing. It was pretty funny. So I shot him a few more times, and by the time he reached me he was at 65% health.

I'm currently playing a "Mage Killer" character, since a) Destruction fucking blows for the player and I hate Bethesda for this and b) Enemy Mages are the only issue in the game other than the dumb two-handed shit. I am going my way up the Alteration tree and will have 85% resists from that tree alone (Breton). I'd really like to add in shock spells with this build to drain enemy Mage mana (heh, useless really), but it doesn't do enough damage stilll even with mods to warrant using.

Oh, and besides having maximum resists and maximum physical damage reduction (for 60s), Alteration has one of the cheapest spells in the game against anything but dragons.

rm6pW.jpg

Skyrim players who got screwed over by the 21/11 patch, I've been thinking and found a solution. I'm pasting this from the post I've made on the Bethesda forums so it's for the computer illiterate, but it'll help for people on Win7.

Hey all, just thought I'd throw this out there.

Many of us have been getting CTDs like there was no tomorrow, texture fails (purple textures or simple invisibility), wonky faces, X-ray vision and even unplayably broken interiors since the patch. Since many of us have Windows 7, I'd like to let you know that I've come across a simple fix to make those problems go away (at least so far), but not many people seem to know about it.

This fix only works for people who had a perfectly stable game before the update!

Furthermore, this only works for those with System Protection enabled! (So not for those who thought they'd never need it anyway ;) )

Here's what to do:
  • Backup any custom .ini-files you made
  • In your Steam library, right click Skyrim in the games bar, select Properties, then the Updates tab, and set Do Not Keep This Game Up To Date.
  • Go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim
  • Locate TESV.exe and right click it
  • Select Properties
  • Choose the Previous Versions tab
  • You should see a list of skyrim folders
  • Open one from when the game was running fine
  • Copy TESV.exe out of that folder
  • With that file in your clipboard, rename the current, newest TESV.exe to TESVbak.exe!
  • Paste the older TESV.exe into your skyrim folder - if it asks you to overwrite, select no - it means you forgot to back up your latest TESV.exe and you really should.
  • Finally, download this patch and follow instructions. I didn't need it, but if the crash is due to memory problems in your case, you might.
  • Launch the game, reset your graphics settings. Disable auto-updates again (it may have reverted to automatically update). If necessary paste your backup .inis back in and play!

Hope this helps people with post-update woes! It definitely fixed the broken interiors for me, making the game playable again.

I'm gonna make a dick-ass-thief tomorrow.

I don't get it. Are you going to go around stealing virginity by poking people in the back? Are you going to go around "pickpocketing" males from the front?

:)

Skyrim players who got screwed over by the 21/11 patch, I've been thinking and found a solution. I'm pasting this from the post I've made on the Bethesda forums so it's for the computer illiterate, but it'll help for people on Win7.

Not sure if I'll need to use this or not, but I have noticed more problems after the patch than before it myself. I've had a few game lockups, one of which can be replicated 100% of the time, and that awful "memory leak" effect where the frames drop down to a literally slideshow and the only way to fix it is to restart. Otherwise there really has not been that many issues for me, and no CTDs. I have not even had one yet while in the game and those usually only happen if I save and then exit the game quickly.

So much the better of course, but I've had CTDs every time I zoned after two or three times, plus broken interiors that made the game unplayable.

Also, don't forget to check the restored TESV.exe as read-only or Steam will update it when you're not looking.

In case anyone cared. Don't use this link if you don't want anything spoiled, although it's useful if you've already found most of the followers. Some people that join you are trained with specific weapons, yet they don't even use what they are best with by default. Also, more importantly, followers do not gain levels at all. Their level is based off of what your level is when you first asked them to follow you. So Lydia will suck for anything other than a pack mule once you start gaining some levels. I don't believe the game is so difficult that it requires min/maxing, especially on the normal difficulty, but if you want a stronger companion, hire a different one every ten levels or so.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Followers