Gaming Thread

wow I didn't even know the patch was out, so it's totally busted? I'm glad that I always play offline then, I think I'll keep it this way until there's one that actually fixes things instead of makes it worse. I've been having problems trying to get it to run 100% smooth; all interiors I have 60 fps but outside I'll be running 60 fps for a while, then get a huge lag, then go back to 60, then huge stutters etc. It's a real pain in the ass and doesn't seem to matter what settings I put it on, I've tried large address aware and I'm going to try another memory fix today (and if all else fails maybe just lower some settings and see how that works, but it shouldn't be that big of an issue since my comp is a powerhouse, all interiors are 60 fps and outside I quite often get great fps except random fuckups).

Actually, I might go with her, too.

Has anyone done Sheogoraths quest yet? It was great, as to be expected. You can start it by talking to the inn keeper in Solitude. Also, I think it's cool that the Redguards in Hammerfell were the only ones to tell the Empire to fuck off and continue fighting the Aldmeri Dominion despite overwhelming odds.

I'm not too down with her, she's extremely manly and just kinda a dick. every time i walk into jorvaskor (sp?) she's nagging me, bitching about something or dissing me, fuck that. i'll probably just find some mega hot mage elf chick, because it's not a young adult male oriented game if you can't fuck/want to fuck elves/aliens/other assorted females with large exposed tits.

i'm still baffled by how much this game has to offer. I'm 70 hours in (more than most other ENTIRE games) and I still have barely touched the main quest, haven't chosen a side in the war, still haven't even discovered one of the major towns and still haven't joined one of the main factions. i'm just content raiding dungeons, learning words of power, discovering new places, admiring the scenery, meeting new people, and letting things just happen. i got it finally to a point where it runs fucking amazingly and i plan on spending the rest of my vacation week enjoying that performance. mmm 60 fps constantly even outside with almost no stutters mmmmmm

mmm 60 fps constantly even outside with almost no stutters mmmmmm

It's wierd. I usually have absolutely no problems anywhere, but sometimes in the city for no apparent reason the game just suddenly goes to a crawl. I can also repeat a CTD 100% in Sarthaal (sic?), but otherwise I really have not had any technical issues with the game at all. I feel bad for those that have too, because then you have to consider all of the non technical "bugs".

I'm not too down with her, she's extremely manly and just kinda a dick. every time i walk into jorvaskor (sp?) she's nagging me, bitching about something or dissing me, fuck that. i'll probably just find some mega hot mage elf chick, because it's not a young adult male oriented game if you can't fuck/want to fuck elves/aliens/other assorted females with large exposed tits.

i'm still baffled by how much this game has to offer. I'm 70 hours in (more than most other ENTIRE games) and I still have barely touched the main quest, haven't chosen a side in the war, still haven't even discovered one of the major towns and still haven't joined one of the main factions. i'm just content raiding dungeons, learning words of power, discovering new places, admiring the scenery, meeting new people, and letting things just happen. i got it finally to a point where it runs fucking amazingly and i plan on spending the rest of my vacation week enjoying that performance. mmm 60 fps constantly even outside with almost no stutters mmmmmm

Of course, it's your choice. I just want to remind you, though.

The Empire

-Surrendered to the Dominion and allowed them to ban the worship of Talos, the original Emperor.

-Is run by a warlord with no rightful claim to the throne.

-Sold out Skyrim to the Dominion and tried to sell out Hammerfell.

-Allowed the Bretons to sack the Orc capital of Orsinium, one of the Empires own cities.

"Let's show these Imperial milk drinkers what true Nords look like!"

111qlqt.jpg

Of course, it's your choice. I just want to remind you, though.

The Empire

-Surrendered to the Dominion and allowed them to ban the worship of Talos, the original Emperor.

-Is run by a warlord with no rightful claim to the throne.

-Sold out Skyrim to the Dominion and tried to sell out Hammerfell.

-Allowed the Bretons to sack the Orc capital of Orsinium, one of the Empires own cities.

"Let's show these Imperial milk drinkers what true Nords look like!"

I've actually been really torn on the issue of what side to choose, without spoiling the plot of the actual quests themselves, why should i choose the stormcloaks? for each of your reasons I have a counter reason (and i am not partial to either side):

- the empire may be in worse times, but what do you expect? after the oblivion crisis they had nothing, had to appoint someone, and the thalmor used that to slowly take over
- in the end of the great war the only way they were able to fight off the thalmor was via the hammerfell rebels joining with the empire, how can they possibly hope to fight off the thalmor if every state becomes independent, potentially warring with themselves, just waiting for the thalmor to come and pick them off one by one?
- do we really think that completely independent states would be a good thing? what about for the other races? ulfric is racist as FUCK and many people are, you can see it in the dark elf persecution. racism has been a pervasive theme throughout the elder scrolls games since morrowind, how are the other races going to do if ulfric and his racist armada takes over? some sort of genocide would not surprise me at all
- do we really need nord supremacy? my character is a nord, but i get the vibe of nord supremacy throughout all the stormcloak areas, and honestly i don't see why that is better than the empire
- the empire didn't just surrender worship to talos for kicks, the war was insanely bloody and awful and if they didn't give in they would've been crushed; they fought and eventually gave up so it wasn't like they just from the start said OH FUCK YEAH FINALLY WE CAN OUTLAW TALOS, it was forced upon them. the empire didn't want to secretly outlaw talos worship
- the empire when it comes down to it, just like the stormcloaks is a group of people. there may be fucked up areas, fucked up forts, fucked up leaders etc, but in the end they're just trying to keep the peace and restore the kingdom. they may not be as good as the septim dynasty (though they also were insanely brutal and harsh) but i don't see how state rule would be any better.

if people can give me some hard evidence as to why the empire sucks, why the empire will continue to suck, and why state rule would be better than i will gladly join the stormcloaks. as of right now i think both of them have their positives and both of them have their negatives, but i'm slightly leaning towards the empire because the only way to fight off the thalmor would be a united tamriel (they've used the fragmented empire to gain power before such as in elswyr) and the potential genocide that could erupt from ulfrics racist regime would be devastating for everyone but the nords in skyrim, potentially following in other provinces.

fuck, I'm still so in love with Skyrim. I'm 75 hours in (what the fuck) and seriously have not even done much of the main quest, none of the civil war, no dark brotherhood, no thieves guild, and have a few patches of the map completely unexplored. I've done a shitload of stuff no doubt, but the fact that I can keep going back and have pressing things to do (or just walk around and find amazing new things) is baffling. Last night at one point I was in Solitude and literally stopped for 3 minutes and stared at the red/orange aurora dancing in the sky as the chimneys billowed smoke, the lights in the street flickered, the noise of the people permeated the air, and i just got completely lost in it. I took a screenshot and it felt like a painting (though its on my other comp so i can't post it here).

i really can't believe how great this game is in immersion. the leap from oblivion to this is INSANE, and i can't wait to keep playing. I think now I'm finally going to really do the main quest, my only fear is its kinda weird when you finish a main quest, become some huge hero who saved the world and then when you do quests for other guilds you aren't or are known, so its weird having people look at you as a grunt or look at you as a bad guy when you just saved the fucking world. hopefully it won't be too awkward, as otherwise i'd have to beat literally every side quest/do every bad thing i ever want to do/any rise to power in a faction ever before i do the main quest, and that could last until hour 200.

Finally bought Skyrim. Can someone tell me what magic is usable, if not good? I'd rather not plink away for hours with shitty spells when I could be doing real damage with something else. It seems that this game will be based on cross-classing more than anything. Any neat builds you guys have ran across? Anyways, naptime. I look forward to reading your responses. For now I slumber, having fought the crowds during Black Friday from 5AM onward as an employee, not a customer :erk:.

Finally bought Skyrim. Can someone tell me what magic is usable, if not good? I'd rather not plink away for hours with shitty spells when I could be doing real damage with something else. It seems that this game will be based on cross-classing more than anything. Any neat builds you guys have ran across? Anyways, naptime. I look forward to reading your responses. For now I slumber, having fought the crowds during Black Friday from 5AM onward as an employee, not a customer :erk:.

I am sure you've seen my ranting on Destruction magic. I was one of the first few to vocalize my great disdain with it, when many did not see the problem yet because they either did not use that school, or they were still very low level. Now it's the number one complaint across all forums. So stay the fuck away from using it unless you want to be completely dissatisfied. Mods "help" circumvent some of the problem, but without the creation kit, most are just making simple hexidecimal tweaks.

For your first playthrough I suggest Expert difficulty, other than that it does not matter too much what you want to do, but here are a few things:

-If you use Smithing, just use Smithing by itself and do not powerlevel it to 90. It ruins the game quickly.
-If you use Enchanting, do not couple it with Smithing, or the game is trivialized on any difficulty.
-The only way to "function" with Destruction is by stacking -%cost enchants to the point in which your spells cost nothing. This still does not improve your damage, only longevity...which is meaningless.
-%manaregen enchants do nothing in combat, use -%cost or simply stack more mana. Health/mana/stamina combat regen is faster the more of that stat you have. Think Diablo 2.
-Conjuration is the most powerful magic school. Dremora Lords can tank mammoths/dragons and clear most dungeons alone. Perked, you can have two.
-Bound weapons are equal to Skyforge unperked, with perks, Ebony. You cannot upgrade or enchant bound weapons, but they are still good enough until level 40 or so.
-Restoration perks are mostly useless. It's also faster/more efficient to simply drink a potion over using a healing spell since they are not fast enough and you usually have to "run away and hide" just to heal with a spell.
-Dual wielding does the most damage via power attacks, but the range is laughable. You also do the same auto attack damage as just sword and shield. Alternating attack buttons is pointless as it only slows your attack speed down. Just mash a single attack for the auto attacks, or tap both for a swipe with both weapons (not a power attack).
-Two-Handed weapons have a slightly better range and are easier to land power attacks with as well as avoiding being hit by some enemies. Less damage than dual wielding later on, but easier to use overall.
-Sword and Shield is not really needed on the lower difficulties, but on Expert and Master, ends up being extremely powerful. You can incapacitate with a block skill and then quickly switch to dual wielding while they cannot attack.
-Archery is much improved, but you'll struggle for the first 15 levels without using a companion or pets. It becomes gdlk once you have at least 25% time dilation, the 50% stagger, 30% crit and faster draw.
-Shadow Warrior is stupidly powerful, especially when combined with Archery. Do not use unless you want zero challenge at all. You basically end up with an invisible sniper that can never be detected.
-Illusion is the second most powerful school with the Frenzy/Pacify lines. They stop having any effect on many enemies however after level 50.

As for races, it doesn't really matter too much, but if you want to min/max there are really only three choices:

Breton for the natural resists
High Elf for the five levels worth of mana and the nice "emergency" mana regen
Orc for killing bosses/dragons. If you are not exploiting the crafting skills, you really cannot top Orcs for damage output (Even if you are, it just makes them doubly effective). This allows you some funky builds that are high risk/high reward such as an all stamina, no health character since the once a day power also cuts damage taken significantly.

Got my copy of Skyrim two days ago. As you can see, I haven't poasted here in the same amount of days. This is no coincidence.

This game is the epicerest of the epicestest of games.

Character planner: http://www.ign.com/builds/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/create

Standard Warrior: http://www.ign.com/builds/the-elder...511111100000000000000000005011000321511112311

Conjuration/Illusion "Mage": http://www.ign.com/builds/the-elder...000000000000000000000000000000000000511112311

Illusion + Enchanting is pretty damn broken too. It literally bypasses any reason to play a "real" stealth class for damage when you can muffle your movment sound as well as become invisible. The only reason to train the sneak skill after this (other than because you simply want to play a non magic using Rogue/Assassin) is to reach Assassin's Blade in the Sneak tree. When your attempt at a backstab was detected, simply tell them to fuck off and they won't attack you for 30 seconds.

I will agree if you max out smithing and enchanting (which you can xp farm wayyy easily) the game gets a bit too easy. I'm still having a blast and am definitely not bored (quite the opposite, I had a tough time putting it down last night because shit was getting so intense, especially with a ton of connections to Morrowind which I fucking LOVED) but I undertook a huge battle and expected to die a few times, yet was able to stomp ass pretty hard due to my all Daedric Armor (with the armor piece having 210 armor stat and my dragon priest mask having 200+ armor as well plus 30% resistance to all) and using an Enchanted Sword smithed to cause 87 damage, 30 extra damage and using an elixer of the warrior (%50 more damage to one handed, and i have one handed maxed out at 100 and almost all the sword perks).

It takes a bit of the challenge out when you have all that so I'd recommend people don't do that, but it doesn't totally ruin the game for me. I'm level 55 right now so leveling is a lot slower which is good (I hear the max level is 81 or something) and feels right, but I think I'm going to have to bump it up from Expert to Master to make it feel tough again since I've been able to stomp pretty much everything and have more just been babysitting my followers (j'zargo only has so much destruction skill to attack with, many times has he gone somewhere cold and made me reload a save).