Gaming Thread

That Kingdoms of Amalur game looks awesome.

It's been a really good year to be an RPG nerd:

The Witcher 2, Dark Souls, Skyrim (mods will extend the life of this game by soooo much) and not too long into the future, Kingdoms of Amalur...a month after that Mass Effect 3 and about the same time Diablo 3. I honestly won't need to buy another game after these until 2013.

I suppose you could toss Human Revolution in there depending on what you consider an RPG, but it just felt much more like an interesting TPS/Metal Gear game to me.

I would not consider DXHR an RPG, but it is a fucking amazing game. my vote for goty is pretty fucking tough, considering deus ex is my favorite game and human revolution was absolutely fucking amazing, and yet skyrim is also absolutely fucking amazing. i'm not even going to bother worrying about picking one since saying they're tied is just that much easier. god damn i hope more dlc comes out for HR because the most recent one was fucking awesome and I can't get enough of that game (same with Skyrim DLC i'm looking forward to, some rumors have been it might even involve cyrodill and morrowind due to landmasses of those areas being basically modeled, ie not fully textured, outside of the invisible wall barriers. then again it could just be like in oblivion where they had the land mass extend on forever, we'll see but being able to go to morrowind for some segment would be sweeeet or even the island mass from bloodmoon.)

I haven't heard of that rpg you guys are all looking forward to fellating, but i'll definitely check it out. I'm not a huge rpg guy, I just like almost all bethesda games and most bioware games; getting into the witcher and the witcher 2 was something unexpected, but they're too amazing not to. hopefully that new game can add to my list of rpgs.

now that i've beaten the skyrim main quest i'm going to do the civil war, dark brotherhood, thieves guild, daedric quests etc. however i've explored about 80% of the map, and i'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on truly amazing quests. since you can get a quest from pretty much anyone just by talking to them its a bit overwhelming to sift through the generic quests for the truly great ones; if there are any quests you guys were truly blown away by and could post the name of the quest/location to find it but nothing else i'd greatly appreciate it. no spoilers plz but the best of the best and where to find them would be awesome, and difficulty doesnt matter as i'm a level 62 with every dragon mask, dual enchanted daedric armor smithed with 100 skill level/a potion/2 enchanted items increasing the skill etc.

I would not consider DXHR an RPG, but it is a fucking amazing game. my vote for goty is pretty fucking tough, considering deus ex is my favorite game and human revolution was absolutely fucking amazing, and yet skyrim is also absolutely fucking amazing. i'm not even going to bother worrying about picking one since saying they're tied is just that much easier. god damn i hope more dlc comes out for HR because the most recent one was fucking awesome and I can't get enough of that game (same with Skyrim DLC i'm looking forward to, some rumors have been it might even involve cyrodill and morrowind due to landmasses of those areas being basically modeled, ie not fully textured, outside of the invisible wall barriers. then again it could just be like in oblivion where they had the land mass extend on forever, we'll see but being able to go to morrowind for some segment would be sweeeet or even the island mass from bloodmoon.)

I haven't heard of that rpg you guys are all looking forward to fellating, but i'll definitely check it out. I'm not a huge rpg guy, I just like almost all bethesda games and most bioware games; getting into the witcher and the witcher 2 was something unexpected, but they're too amazing not to. hopefully that new game can add to my list of rpgs.

now that i've beaten the skyrim main quest i'm going to do the civil war, dark brotherhood, thieves guild, daedric quests etc. however i've explored about 80% of the map, and i'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on truly amazing quests. since you can get a quest from pretty much anyone just by talking to them its a bit overwhelming to sift through the generic quests for the truly great ones; if there are any quests you guys were truly blown away by and could post the name of the quest/location to find it but nothing else i'd greatly appreciate it. no spoilers plz but the best of the best and where to find them would be awesome, and difficulty doesnt matter as i'm a level 62 with every dragon mask, dual enchanted daedric armor smithed with 100 skill level/a potion/2 enchanted items increasing the skill etc.

You can start Sheogoraths quest by talking to the inn keeper in Solitude. It's certainly memorable.

Funniest thing I've seen so far is the giant bounce. They seemed pretty timid and docile from a distance, so I was like, "I'm gonna go say hi to Mr. Giant over here....'Hi Mr. Gi-'" BAM!

Next thing I know I'm about 5000 feet in the air and wondering how the hell this is possible.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimRgNCTZAQ&feature=related[/ame]

almost got to 100 hours before finishing the game, but i ended up beating it at 98 or so then played more (got married, did a side quest, sold some shit) until 100. and yet i still want to play, ridiculous.

(there used to be me talking about my feelings on the main quest end here, but even though i had no spoilers really im still going to cut it out since i know i'd be pissed if anything at all were shared, even if it weren't a real spoiler)

i plan to get all the shouts (3 more left fuckkkk), explore the rest of the map, join the thieves guild (now that i've got sneak and pickpocket up to a good level) and then maybe check out the dark brotherhood (or daedra). its baffling that theres still so much left and i'm not bored, i still see new enemies and it keeps fresh whereas by the end of oblivion i had seen the same 3 daedra at least 1,000 times (whereas in skyrim i've seen 1 daedra maybe in 3 instances). Hopefully by the time I get bored DLC will be close to coming out (except it'll be later due to the 360 exclusivity, fucking microsoft) or i'll just dig in to the gta pack i got on steam.

I've always hated the Dark Brotherhood, so when the bitch kidnapped me, I killed her and I'm about to wipe out the entire Dark Brotherhood from Skyrim. I wish the Morag Tong were in this game and there could be a clash of assassins. Would've been epic. Actually I dunno if there is or not but I haven't heard anything about the Tong. I'd join the Tong in a heartbeat.

Currently level 19 and my mind is just spinning constantly of Skyrim. I haven't done hardly any of the main quest because I've been doing just miscellaneous shit, and I'm really loving my new werewolf form. The Companions quests are fucking awesome.

By the way, I'm also torn on whether to join the empire or the Stormcloaks. My gut tells me to join the Empire because they're fighting for the good of everyone, but the Stormcloaks also have legitimate reasons for rebelling. I don't really like the entire Nazi-esque path Ulfric has gone down, but I realize that sometimes a brutal dictator is needed to get the country going in the right direction. Also, let's be honest: I'm not too keen on joining the empire after my head was on their chopping block not too long ago. I'm still a little bitter over that small thing of nearly losing my head simply because the empire was too stupid to listen to reason when I was completely innocent. Damn you, Bethesda for making me make difficult and awesome choices in your amazing game.

Yesterday I actually went with the Empire and beat the Civil War questline (not tough if you're an overpowered machine, when I reload and do the Stormcloak side I'm going to bump it up to master difficulty for sure) and honestly I'm glad I did. I was having such a problem choosing which side and I thought doing the Empire would make me feel bad and then feel even better about doing the Stormcloak one, but actually it had the opposite effect. I'm not going to spoil anything, but my feelings going in were that most of the people in the legion were good people trying to better the situation for everyone, and I think I was right. You can find out for yourself, but all I'll say is a lot of the Legion hating is a bit misguided once you get past the bad framing of them fighting against the "true sons and daughters of skyrim" (yeah and they are because they say so, no one else).

In regards to that landmass thing, i saw that yesterday as well and holy shit I'm pumped. I don't think it'll be for DLC like some have postulated (though I can dream) because that'd be sooooo much work, and I mean sooooo fucking much, but leaving it in there for modders is a pretty good explanation, or they could just have it all in there for if they decide to use a part of another province for DLC. I wouldn't expect them to fully design and open up Morrowind, as that would be insaneeeeely difficult, but having all those options allows them to spend time deciding what area they could want to use, and then already having it ready for them. Either way I'm pumped as shit, as I'm sure they'll do great DLC and the promise of more beefy but less frequent DLC is awesome (shivering isles was its own place, so maybe they could do the bloodmoon island again or the tribunal area, or maybe even some other island who knows) and modders in Morrowind have already started projects to model all of Tamriel, and having this all set up for them would basically be giving them the canvas for a huge team to work on for a long time to truly create greatness that the Bethesda team probably doesn't have time for.

Why is the Morrowind landmass there? Are they retconning the fact that a volcano turned it into Atlantis?

Also, the guild quests in this game, while pretty decent are stupidly short. If there's one thing Oblivion did much better besides magic, it's the guild quests. They actually made you feel like you truly accomplished something in the end and that you deserved your position. In this game it's literally like:

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Randomguildmember: Hail, go kill some bandits for us!
Randomguildmemember: Hail, go act like we are the mafia for a bit!
Randomguildmemeber: Come with us, we need you on a secret important mission!
Randomguildmember: Come with us, we need you on a secret important mission!
Randomguildmember: The boss wants you to do something.
Randomguildmember: Well, the boss is gone and we are all wrist-cutting, unconfident depressants, so we choose you to lead us, even though we just met you two days ago. None of us would probably be able to do a good job anyway.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Oh, and the patch that was just relased broke magic resistance. It no longer works for anyone (your pets cannot resist anything either, not even their own element), and dragons are even buggier than before. Good times.

I only glanced at most of the posts recently. But now I want to play Majora's Mask badly, and though I haven't played Skyrim yet I've heard great things. And Fallout 4 I haven't heard of yet. I love the setting of all those games, and though my play style preference will always be third person (like the first two Fallout games) I always look forward to a new rendition. And hurry the fuck up ME3!

I only glanced at most of the posts recently. But now I want to play Majora's Mask badly, and though I haven't played Skyrim yet I've heard great things. And Fallout 4 I haven't heard of yet. I love the setting of all those games, and though my play style preference will always be third person (like the first two Fallout games) I always look forward to a new rendition. And hurry the fuck up ME3!

Play Majoras Mask. It destroys every other Zelda title. Fuck A Link To The Past. Those guys need to take their nostalgia goggles off.

As for Mass Effect 3, I won't post spoilers, but confirmed story line has leaked. It was horribly bad. I mean, BAD.