Gaming Thread

When I attack Bioware, I do it to be taken with a grain of salt knowing I enjoy most of their titles and I'm doing it because I don't want to see them regress.

This guy is just fucking annoying. Don't play the game, then.

Good god your inexperience is showing. This as "RPG lite" as you can possibly get, and no, the "gameplay" is not good by any means. I just found a review that shares my exact sentiments on what Skyrim actually is and how you have to approach it. You can't think about it, you can't ponder on the future or your character, you have to just "let it happen". In other words, you can't enjoy it without shutting off your brain, because if you don't, you'll spend too much time thinking about what it's not.

http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/9740.html

Those are all really good points and are true, but why do you buy a Bethesda title thinking you're going to get something from Bioware? This is what Bethesda does and this is what its games are like. There is always room for improvement and everyone knows that Bethesda's games' menus are all unwieldy and tend to make the game stop/start when you get low on health or need to change weapons or gear. That said, I prefer that to Diablo's massive potion click/button-mashing fest.

TES has always been about action in a first/third person and exploration. The combat has nearly always come as an afterthought to the scope of the game. What is it you want from Bethesda? I would've liked to have seen some skill points too but you know what I got instead? Perks...and I'm happy about it.

People in hell want ice water, too, but that's not how hell works. I'm sure if Skyrim had the best of both worlds and somehow were able to make the greatest game ever by combining both styles in perfect gameplay everyone would be happy. However, that would take ages to develop and I'm quite happy with what they've done with Skyrim...they're taking small steps towards the future. Sure, some things have been dumbed down a bit but holy shit, man, it takes a long, long time to develop games of this magnitude. Sure, they could make a game with the deepest RPG elements with Bethesda-esque combat but something's got to give. You can have all of those things if you don't mind playing with Morrowind-style graphics in 2012. But if they did that then people would just bitch about how shitty the graphics are.

At first I was like, "Where the fuck is the Armorer/Acrobatics/various old skills from previous titles?" Then after playing a while and realizing how awesome it is not to have to carry around 50 fucking heavy armorer hammers with me to repair my shit or having to jump up and down everywhere like the fucking Lucky Charms leprechaun just to level up, I realized that I could actually sit back and ENJOY THE GAME. Holy shit, what a concept.

Sure, if you nerd-grind and spend all your money on leveling up enchanting and blacksmithing to level 100 by the time you're level 30, don't be surprised if you can wail on just about everything and kill it with one or two hits. Then comes the obligatory, "Don't do smithing and enchanting if you want a challenge because you'll just own everything" argument. Well sure you'll own everything if you spend three hours a day grinding materials and money to make stuff. Just like I said before, you can play the game how you want but you're kinda ruining it for yourself simply due to the game's design; the developers assumed that the majority of the people would want to explore and experience the game no matter what kind of armor and weapons they had, and could craft and enchant at their leisure when they had time or decided they wanted to level it up a bit after getting a foothold on Skyrim.

I hate to compare it to an MMO, but it's like all those people in WoW who would blow through the new expansion levels in like a day and a half, skipping all the cool stuff (when WoW had cool stuff) by just grinding dungeons over and over and over and over again just so they could get the max level and get to the end faster. It's not a race and I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but you're supposed to have FUN.

If you wanna play the numbers game, come play Eve Online with us.

^yup, pretty much exactly what i was saying except from someone who plays real rpgs/mmorpgs as well (or so i assume from the wow/eve online sections).

speaking of eve online, i've heard about that game but never played it. is it a space nerd mmorpg? and isn't there a ps3 version coming out that has the space rpg/rts elements but also a first person shooter aspect on planets where you can battle it out? if something like that were to come to pc where you could chart battles/overall strategies in space and then join the fight on the surface of the planet whoopin ass while other team members control space/fight with you on land i'd get that shit IN A FUCKING SECOND. the old republic i was almost about to break down and get (despite the risk of eliminating the almost flatlining social life i have now) but then i heard the space combat was just like starfox/on rails and that bummed me out pretty hard.

Talkingbackwards isn't part of any staff that I know of.

And I'm not butthurt, aside from the annoyance of his endless paragraphs.

Ah, you were talking about him. I was referring to the reviewer, as I thought you were talking about him. Also, you're totally butthurt :lol:!

butthurt.png

is that when me3 comes out? my state of apathy towards that game is pretty intense, i'm sure i'll enjoy it but for some reason it never drew me into that obsessed fanboy mode that most get.

I'm more pumped for Syndicate. It will either be completely fucking asskicking awesome, or kinda shitty, we'll see when it's out but the whole idea behind it and what they're trying to incorporate seems to kick ass to fail.

I'm glad somebody went to this great length so I didn't have to. I'm having a lot of fun with this game but is indeed brain-dead, stupid fun. Skyrim is like cheap alcohol. Many good times can be had, many stories will be told, but if you really sit and think about it, you'll gag a little.

Exactly. And I know how I can often sometimes go a bit overboard with specific opinions (especially if I am criticizing something) and it can start to get really annoying to people, and can also leave the wrong impression, so I'm done talking about Skyrim. It was definitely worth the price I paid, and I can honestly say that it was very entertaining when I allowed it to be. I just need more most of the time. Not everyone does and that's cool. I'm also not sure if this is what John was talking about way back when, when he said that you don't play a TES game for the gameplay...but that's pretty much spot on.

On another note, I was randomly standing around listening to a bard singing some hymn, and then it dawned on me what they kept reminding me of:

Talkingbackwards isn't part of any staff that I know of.

And I'm not butthurt, aside from the annoyance of his endless paragraphs.

Although you'd be perfectly happy if I had "endless paragraphs" gushing over things you liked. I guess I could be talking more about how life sucks and that I would rather be drunk and wasted since that's more productive? The irony is, I've only done a handful of long posts. Most of those have been reserved for someone else.

Last edited by a moderator: