Gaming Thread

Mixed feelings on Kingdoms of Amular

-Art style is horrible. Cartoony, stupid, can't be taken seriously. Everything looks fucking goofy.

Not everything has to be "super ultra realistic" (aka washed out in nothing but shiny gray and brown). The graphics aren't trying to look realistic at all and they look more like World of Warcraft or Fable.

-Seems to be on rails, like a Bioware game.

If you're talking about the dungeon layout. But then most of the dungeons in Skyrim are completely linear as well. Otherwise not really. He even states at the beginning of the video that they decided to stop with the main quest for a while to go and do other things. He also says that they are having their testers try to rush through the game as quickly as they possibly can (on easy), skipping all of the text to see how long it would take for them to finish the game doing everything. So far the fastest time is apparently 200 hours.

You're right about RA Salvatore in that he's not the best author ever, but he does write a lot of "good" stories, even if he recycles his characters. It's better to get someone that you know who can actually write than some random no name that may or may not be good. Just like it's better to get someone who can write material that most people are going to get than some Pulitzer Prize novelist most don't care about.

You don't touch the .bsa files. Read the readme of the mod when you download it, because they almost all have instructions. If you do not have a specific folder, simply make it in the required directory.

The "Textures" folder and the "Textures.bsa" aren't the same thing. Most of the time when you download a mod that is something like a texture replacement, once you extract it, it usually creates a "textures" folder that asks if you want to overwrite if there was already a textures folder where you were trying to extract or copy it to. All that does is replaces same named files, but will leave everything else in the folder alone. If you don't get the "overwrite, yes/no?" prompt then you most likely did not have that folder already and that's fine.

I believe the .bsa files are just everything that is "default" with Skyrim and any of the subfolders are simply what the game loads up afterwards, so that if you wanted anything to change it would by using whatever is in the subdirectories.

More Amalur gameplay. The combat looks fun as hell too. http://www.gamespot.com/kingdoms-of...-amalur-reckoning-6347155?tag=topslot;title;2

yeah that's the problem, the readme instructors are presupposing that i have all the directories in there filled with files that the game is loading from and thus can overwrite, but i only have .bsa's where folders should be and as such i can't overwrite anything. i'd just be moving the folder from the mod into my data files folder and creating a new textures folder with that 1 or 2 textures in it, while the game is still loading from the .bsa. i guess if it loads from the .bsa first and then loads the second one with priority so for example it'd load one texture, then see a replacement and load over it that would work, but i'm really not sure. i've never had this problem before, usually all the folders are there and are essentially what is EXACTLY in the .bsa, except this time they're all just archived so i can't go in and replace anything. fucking argh. i guess i'll just have to try shit out and see if it works, but i've already tried one blood mod and i don't believe it worked.

i'd just be moving the folder from the mod into my data files folder and creating a new textures folder with that 1 or 2 textures in it, while the game is still loading from the .bsa.

Which is what is supposed to happen...

i guess if it loads from the .bsa first and then loads the second one with priority so for example it'd load one texture, then see a replacement and load over it that would work, but i'm really not sure.

What is the big deal? Why don't you simply DO IT and see if there are any results?

i've never had this problem before, usually all the folders are there and are essentially what is EXACTLY in the .bsa, except this time they're all just archived so i can't go in and replace anything. fucking argh. i guess i'll just have to try shit out and see if it works, but i've already tried one blood mod and i don't believe it worked.

The blood mod is an ESP file that you have to actually check at the startup of the game under Data Files. The .bsa files are not to be modified, so it doesn't matter if you can mess with them or not. They are the default files for the game that are loaded up first and everything else after. If you do not have a folder, MAKE IT. I haven't loaded up on a ton of mods, but I've tried maybe ten or so (better UI, better sorting being the most useful) and none of them have given me any installation issues and my default Skyrim directories are the same as yours.

So I've been playing this new game I got called Tetris. Holy motherless goat is it fun. You have blocks arranged in different shapes, and you need to drop these blocks ontop of one inother in order to finish a line of blocks. Watch out though, if you get blocks that don't match up and end up with a hole, anything you put on top becomes a terrible problem! You need to now get a line of each one you put on top to then access that hole! Man it's a wild game, and the graphics rival every game I've ever played!

I dunno man screenshots indicate that the graphics suck, i mean look at that shit

tetris.jpg

I play tetris religiously on the toilet. Not only do I beat all 15 levels each time I sit down to shit, but in doing so my legs fall asleep.

hmm, i'll try another mod and see how it works, but i remember installing a few (including the blood one, and i know about the esp's so i turned them all on) and not seeing results. maybe it was just a fluke that time. now that there are a bunch more out i'll check some out, see if maybe before was just an isolated incident.

i've clearly been playing too much skyrim (122 hours fuck yeah, still tons left to enjoy but its finals week next week so i'm slowing down) because i found this fucking hilarious. i doubt most will but holy shit maybe it just took me off guard because i lol'd to the max:

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw that one as well, i don't know where this multitude of voice actors they claim is, but i hear a lotttt of repeats in skyrim haha. i appreciate that they used more than oblivion but man, i've heard that gruff guy who is farkas/the warmaidens clerk/most other rugged dudes probably a thousand times. I can't wait for the point where technology is good enough that they can fully synthesize unique and realistic sounding speech so that they can just program in an AI with thousands of lines depending on the situation and generate the voices. having a game like this where they almost never say the same thing twice would be awesome instead of being able to walk up to a guard, stand in front of them, and hear them cycle through all their available dialogue in a short time.

not enough to detract from the experience though, the freedom it offers otherwise is way too awesome to be vitiated. hell, i spent at least an hour just going around unrelenting force-ing people into the ocean, weird positions, etc and watching them get back up as if nothing had happened.

Stalker 2 is dead, as is the developer.

Ukraine’s Sergey Galenkin has blogged about the closure of GSC. He states: “GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people.” Galenkin blames the cost of developing a PC only shooter for a European audience, and a failed console publishing deal, for the collapse of the developer.

GAY. Stalker and the sequels sold fucking 4 million copies, with the last 2 being developed for quite cheap. How did they fuck up so hard from that point in august?

lame, i still haven't had a chance to play the original stalker but there aren't that many developers out there that make great games, on the pc, pushing the limits of graphics/gameplay elements and not watering down their product. from what i've heard it's great (and i'm pumped to play it once skyrim releases me from its grasp) and it's quite a shame they're going down, though on the bright side at least it's not cd projekt red because that would be a horrible horrible day in gaming.

Okay was that console edited or something? I'm confused. I got the same sword but it does 28 damage and +15 absorb...

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UAI2kEX4k

Okay was that console edited or something? I'm confused. I got the same sword but it does 28 damage and +15 absorb...

The enchanting system in skyrim can make things a bit, funky. There are much more ridiculous ones. Basically, with 100 alchemy, you can create large quantities of potions that boost your smithing and enchanting to extreme levels, so the end result of your forges are ridiculous weapons/armor that shouldn't even exist. He claims this is a quest item, but as you said, the one you get is the stats you listed, so I think the guy is just swapped out an enchant abused one.

Yeah, I like enchants and refining weaponry/armor, but I really don't like the idea of one-shotting everything... all of the time.