Gaming Thread

It's actually a nice breath of fresh air. RPGs and video games have become so complex since the Diablos that it's really nice to know you don't have to choose a response to a question, work on reputation with certain factions, etc. You start the game in Diablo 3 and the first thing you do is wail on zombies...for an hour straight. Graphics are great and the gore is cool, too. Voice acting is top notch. Camera system isn't a problem because it's fixed isometric. Controls are the same. The only thing I don't think it has is the ALT button for highlighting items and crap, but that's it.

Diablo 3 beta is pretty damn cool. If you liked the other Diablo games, you'll love this. It has changed a few things, but it still has that old Diablo feel to it. They haven't really changed anything big at all besides graphics and such. Even Dehkahd Khaaayyyn is the same.

Yeah, been following it since the hands on gameplay was allowed. To me it looks the same as it ever was, except with the obvious graphical improvements that were mentioned, but also quite a bit different in regards to fluidity with skills in both customizing as well as hotkeys. I literally spent every day, nine months straight playing the second game when it was first released, but I've played quite a few more games since then. So I wonder how long I'll play the third...after getting 2-3 characters to max level on Hardcore? :D

So far I think all of the classes look fun, except I think the Amazon/Rogue or whatever is what I would play the least. The Monk and Barbarian just look too fun.

It's actually a nice breath of fresh air. RPGs and video games have become so complex since the Diablos that it's really nice to know you don't have to choose a response to a question, work on reputation with certain factions, etc. You start the game in Diablo 3 and the first thing you do is wail on zombies...for an hour straight. Graphics are great and the gore is cool, too. Voice acting is top notch. Camera system isn't a problem because it's fixed isometric. Controls are the same. The only thing I don't think it has is the ALT button for highlighting items and crap, but that's it.

Yeah man. The thing about the Diablo games were that they were totally mindless, but so damn addicting that it did not matter how repetitive they were, because you're always chasing the proverbial carrot/gambling wondering what you're going to end up seeing. It's also a series that pretty much anyone can get into, so it's not one of those games you have to wonder too much about playing with friends and such.

This beta is better than many released products today.

I would hope so considering how fucking long it's been in development.

As for prequel music being in TOR, I don't understand the issue. It's John Williams either way, and his music is always top notch. Unless you're just talking about nostalgia/nerd factor. Imperial March is probably the only one I could see that needed to be in the game somewhere, but I don't know if it would fit the game's current timeline.

thats exactly what i want haha! i play videogames to enter a different world and star wars to me is the originals, so having some of the original music in there would be great. the imperial march should be in there for sure, the final space battle music from jedi or space battle from new hope should be in there instead of what currently is (or at least have them rotating so its not the same old song) etc. its such a huge game that having variety in the music is important to me so it doesn't get stale/predictable and you get excited by battle music and since they already have the score licensed i figure they could put more in. having the music from the lightsaber battle in jedi play occasionally when you have a big fight with a sith lord/jedi master would be absolutely fucking awesome.

it's not the end of the world though, i still dig the music and the game is awesome as hell so its fine. i just really wish they would've put in more music from the originals since it wouldn't have been hard; some of the tracks that are played constantly are starting to get a little bit bothersome.

My interest in the Zelda world has been rekindled since they released the official timeline, with a triple split that revolves around the events of OOT.

I wish I had a Wii to play Twirighto Prinessu and Skywardu Swordu. :cry:

it's not the end of the world though, i still dig the music and the game is awesome as hell so its fine. i just really wish they would've put in more music from the originals since it wouldn't have been hard; some of the tracks that are played constantly are starting to get a little bit bothersome.

Haha. I think I lasted two or three weeks in an MMORPG listening to the in game sound effects and music. After that I would simply turn all in game volume off and just play whatever I wanted outside of the game.

I wish I had a Wii to play Twirighto Prinessu and Skywardu Swordu. :cry:

Skyward really is a great game. You might wanna save up to get a used Wii or something since Xenoblade will be out in April. Just pretend you're spending the money on booze or whatever, but instead save it.

Just finished the Diablo 3 beta. Holy crap it's awesome. So much ass kickery that I can't take it. I actually got pissed when the beta ended it's so good.

The best way I can explain it is it's like Blizzard went into a coma for ten years right after they finished Diablo 2 and then woke up with all this new gaming technology and made another one. Everything you liked about the original Diablos is there and unchanged, and the things you didn't like have been changed.

Looting is so easy now. You have these "scrolls of companions" that last about ten minutes a piece, but they drop literally every two minutes. You get these random little animals like snakes, scorpions, spiders, ferrets, pigs, etc. and every time gold drops they scoop it up for you automatically. They don't loot the gear so you can see what dropped and decide whether to leave it or take it.

You also meet companions along your journey and you can ask them to join you (NOT HIRING THEM, BTW...YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY THEM). It's kinda like the SWTOR companion system. Best of all, THEY FUCKING DO WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. They kick just as much ass as you do and often will talk to you and you'll even respond to them, all the while slaying hordes of monsters. There's literally zero break in gameplay during all of this. No fucking choices, no fucking worrying about character development; get your gear, sell your gear, kill more monsters and further the storyline.

They've also added a function where you can scrap your garbage loot into things you can use for crafting...yes, CRAFTING. You can craft weapons, armor, etc. The leveling system is kinda cool, albeit a bit different. The higher levels you get, you don't just get new abilities, you get the privileges to use them. You have to earn the ability to equip more than two spells at a time, and this is done in the lower levels, like from 1-20. I actually like this because it gives you smaller goals to work towards instead of just trying to level up as fast as you can so you can go kill X.

I haven't seen the ability to add skill points or anything; I don't know if it's just because it's the beta or that they decided to scrap that altogether and just distribute them automatically. However, you now have passive abilities too, WHICH FUCKING RULE. Shit like, "Every time you use arcane magic, you slow them by 25%" and stuff like that.

I'd say my favorite feature is the health baubles that drop. There still are the health potions just like always, but they're kinda separate. After killing baddies, health baubles will drop and you just run over them and they heal you, effectively doing away with the spamming of your quickslots in hard fights just to stay alive. Those quickslots, while you can still use them for health potions, are free to use for abilities. Didn't see a single magic potion. Your mana automatically recharges and a quick rate and certain abilities/spells take more than others. You're given "class abilities" like magic missile and others for the wizard which don't use any mana at all, thereby freeing you to use your mana for the heavier spells and more destructive abilities.

All in all, I'd say the UI has been incredibly streamlined in favor of the gamer and this is the best part of the gameplay, imo. No more adjusting your loot, picking up tons of potions, etc. Everything's there and ordered for you. All you have to do is go rape everyone in the face and then take their shit. This game is so FAST. There's no downtime except for going back to sell your shit and pick up more quests if you need to. It's 0-100 mph from the outset and it doesn't let up. It's a hack n' slash on the most potent of steroids.

watching the prequels has officially validated my previous thought, most of the music from tor is found in the prequels. watching i noticed at least 5 pieces that are in the game, and only 1 from the original trilogy. in addition a lot of stuff like the animals (wild animals on taris and alderaan) are from the prequels as well which seriously strikes me as odd. could they seriously think people want to see stuff from the prequels in the game? do they honestly think the prequels have a bigger audience than the original movies? am i completely off base in thinking that the hardcore star wars crowd pretty much doesn't give a fuck about the prequels?

doesn't matter i guess since the game is fun as fuck though. i spent 2 hours just playing huttball pvp which is absurdly fun as long as your team doesn't suck absolute dick. watching my team members at one point run to the wrong side or just stand there not passing or moving, not realizing they have the ball made me quite furious, but it all gets made up for it when you have a great match. i'm bummed school starts in a week or so since i'll have to serioussllyy cut down my playing time, and even if i reach level 50 (45 right now) by then/finish the class questline there'll be so much stuff to do i can't imagine running out of tasks and fun.

Well you can't dress him up in the same stuff you have. You can only change his weapons and rings/amulets and such. I kinda like that because it's way simpler than having to gauge who gets what.

Well you can't dress him up in the same stuff you have. You can only change his weapons and rings/amulets and such. I kinda like that because it's way simpler than having to gauge who gets what.

Makes me wonder how durable they are going to be then and if they will scale with the difficulty similarly to how they did in the past (when you could give them better armor).

Also, we will sort of see how close to the mark this is tomorrow.

http://www.gamespot.com/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/videos/kingdoms-of-amalur-interview-6348558/

Does anyone one else imagine Ken Rolston as someone you would see up on stage in an improvised jazz or poetry club? At the very least, he would make a really good narrator.

Seriously, if you guys don't have DS's like I don't, get the Desume, emulator. Because Devil Survivor is a very unique, memorable. and intricate game!

It has my number one factor in a game.

Atmosphere.

The Reckoning demo is currently available on the PC (I am assuming the other platforms as well, but I haven't checked yet), although it requires EA's Origin to download. Since they are also requiring Origin to play any version of ME3 on the PC, regardless of where you purchased it; you may as well bite the bullet and get it now if you were planning on playing it on the PC.

From the few people that have reported on it, Origin is pretty harmless and isn't the spyware machine many people claimed that it was due to it being from EA. Remember how a lot of people had their pitchforks up when Steam was first released (and yeah, I know the difference between the companies).

Also, for those that didn't know; the PC version will support both a 360 controller and a regular mouse/keyboard setup that will automatically adjust on the fly depending on what input device you hit at any given moment. It's also kind of strange too that there are a few reports that are saying the mouse/keyboard setup is inferior, even though it has eight hotkeys and you can only use four abilities at a time with the 360 version. I'll know more in the next hour when I try out both.