Gaming Thread

All politics, ethics, and arguing aside: I'm really glad they're coming out with DLC to fix it whether it was planned or not; whether it was a scheme or not. Outside of the ending and a few continuity errors, the game was all I could have asked for as a Mass Effect fan. It was good to see that a good chunk of the community who wanted a change approached it in a mature manner and got noticed through things like charity and a letter campaign, not violence and smearing. Like I said, a good chunk, it wasn't without childish retorts and hateful displaced spam. I think we won, whether we won a battle that was dictated from the beginning by EAware or not, we won. I'm going to settle for it and buy the DLC. I won't purchase another game from them again but I'm happy to see my favorite series getting the justice it deserves.

On another note, I bought a PSVita (3g model) with Wipeout 2048, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, and some other stuff. I'm pretty excited :kickass: I'll report back when I've had time to play with it. I do know that Wipeout HD was fairly good and the competitive community picked it up but the lead designer for Studio Liverpool of the Wipeout series left awhile back. Competitive players immediately dropped Pulse and went back to Pure, a game years older. Seeing as how Wipeout HD was embraced, this one might be as well. Here's hoping!

Oh, and I'm really, REALLY sad that Ninja Gaiden III was a huge letdown. That's what happens when the brains of the joint leaves the operation (Tomonobu Itagaki.) We'll miss you Master Ninja :cry:

To be honest John, you're not wrong. Everything you've brought up thus far has merit and it's true the gaming industry tends to cut corners, but do you know why they have to cut corners sometimes? Because, as everyone knows, money doesn't grow on trees.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. When you go on about how these gaming companies are ripping everyone off and how they have no ingenuity or aren't very innovative, do you realize that maybe they're doing this ON PURPOSE? They're not huddled around a dark room maniacally laughing about how they're pulling one over on the public; I'm sure they know everyone is going to spot these things.

Gaming is like music; you don't have to re-invent the wheel to make something awesome. However, your attitude towards gaming is inversely proportional to a hipster's attitude towards music. Every single Borknagar album is different, but it's still the same thing. They're not doing anything wildly innovative or out there, and they aren't taking any big chances because they don't have to. It's their niche. I personally think they're boring as shit (with the exception of the new album) but that doesn't mean that what they do isn't good. I'm going to listen to every new Borknagar cd with reticence because I think Vortex is more overrated than Metallica, but I still can appreciate something good that comes from them, such as their new album. The same thing goes with gaming. You, on the other hand, are unable to appreciate any game unless it's either some nostalgia trip or it cures cancer. You set standards that often are impossible to reach, both for yourself and everything else, and you end up disappointed. Enjoy it for what it is and move on.

Furthermore, Bioware, EA, Bethesda, Atlus, etc. are all the Warner Music Group of game companies, and you are the hipster complaining that everything they release isn't underground enough and go on and on about how terrible everything is they're putting out. It's not that bad, dude. You're just bored. You're not supposed to like every single game that comes out...that's not the point of gaming. You find what you like and you stick with it. Who gives a shit whether or not reviewers give them good reviews or not? WELCOME TO THE BUSINESS OF ART IN THE REAL WORLD. If it weren't for those great reviews in the past, even if they were a little bloated, you wouldn't even have ME3.

You started with SWTOR, then you moved on to ME3, and then you even pulled D3 into it with Blizzard without ever having seen even the beta. Stop trolling forums and start playing games, man. It's so much more fun to write about games you love than to constantly bitch and say, "I TOLD YOU SO, SO GIVE ME MY 'TOLD YOU SO' PRIZE!!!!!" For the record, every single game you have complained about and slagged are the very same games I absolutely love. You've done this so much that, while at one time we may have followed your advice, now we just look at everything you post about games as, "Whatever John says about the game, I will feel the opposite." Enjoy games more. They're called games for a reason.

I've said it time and time again and you just gloss over it every time, but right now, the most innovative gaming company on the face of the planet is CCP. What they're doing with Dust 514 and Eve Online by connecting two entire universes on two different platforms for play at the same time in two different styles of gameplay is unheard of. And you know what? Dust 514 IS GONNA BE FREE. You won't even have to pay for it! The new Eve/Dust universe will make the Mass Effect universe look like fucking Sesame Street.

While you're watching this video, imagine that you're gonna be there on the ground in Dust 514 on your PS3, following orders from ME in space on my PC in Eve Online. If you piss me off or fail, I CAN NUKE YOU FROM ORBIT and vice versa. You will be able to destroy ME IN SPACE from a weapon YOU HAVE on the ground in a completely different game, on a completely different platform, in a completely different time zone, all on one server. Do you see what this is? This will be the largest gaming universe in the history of gaming. It's gonna make Skyrim look like Donkey Kong on Atari. Quit wasting your time bitching about Bioware and get in on this awesomeness!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I didn't know Tali killed herself in ME3 because I haven't played it yet, but thanks to that big image you posted, now I do. Thanks dude.

C'mon man. Snap out of it. Is all this really that important? Are you living your life vicariously through game characters or something, so much so that it makes you this upset?

On another note, the new Wing Commander Saga just dropped. It's completely free and completely fan-developed. Old Freespace 2 graphics engine, but for what it is it's really good. If you liked the Wing Commander series, you'll really like it I think.

P2W is not free. No game is truly free. Except for some crappy racer released by Doritos on XBLA :lol: I'd much rather pay for a full release than play a free P2W game.

It's F2P, not P2W. They're not selling golden ammo. This isn't fucking Turbine we're talking about. I get what you mean as I feel the same way about P2W, but this is a completely different thing. The Aurum system they have won't give you any more of an edge over other players not using the Aurum.

my god john stop being so goddamn cynical, everything isn't paid for even though there probably is a little truth there.
Pretty sure a lot of wheels were greased and strings were pulled. Remember the Kane & Lynch controversy? Reviews might not be bought entirely, but they are certainly influenced by the big companies.

And Stormo, you might be right, but even as someone who thought Tali was awesome the background to that in the end really doesn't bother me as much as it does you. As I stated before that you didn't comment on, did it bother you at all until you found the source?
How could it have bothered me if I haven't played the game yet? This was the first I've heard or seen of it.

(plus if its free how is it stolen? :))
Ugh. It's not stolen as in, "taking what is not yours without paying for it", but stolen as in, "let's use a photo we find on the Net so we don't have to get creative ourselves."

And yeah, despite that I'm not going to play it for a long time, thanks for the spoilers John :p

I'm not denying that it happens but to claim that all of the scores were bought is just being cynical. And yeah I forgot that you hadn't it just appeared that way given the attitude of most people lately.

Otherwise pretty much what DW said.

4Qdoo.gif