Gaming Thread

Hmm. Hopefully they include that one scene where you made it to Major Domo without wiping and the server hiccups and then it's hell getting logged back in so you group up and try to run back to where you were (cuz your A-listers are on and Ragnaros is about to get fucked) but the pats are re-popping all over people so the raid is called because some stupid asses keep pulling them before you can get buffed fucking faggots /gkick

It'll never make everyone happy. The fact that anyone would risk their professional life by getting involved is bizarre in the extreme to me.

I don't think it's going to be so polarizing. You see, WoW is only now being labeled a geeky game because all the people who were once addicted to it now shun it because they're bitter. It's never been like Everquest or a D&D type geeky game...that was never it's goal.

WoW is probably the most retardedly easy game on earth, which is why it's so popular. EVERYONE was playing WoW because when it started it was really cool and fun for everyone, not just the hardcore gamer. But just like metal, once a game gets popular the elitists who were once avid fans of the game like to bash it.

If WoW was built for anyone in mind, it most definitely wasn't the hardcore role-playing geeks. There's really no particular audience to please and I don't see how they can screw this up. Comic book films are MUCH more difficult to make.

As long as they get the characters right and the story right, this is gonna be huge. It's going to be harder to fuck it up than to do it well.

I don't understand why they'd make a WoW-film when there's tons of games that have actual stories. All WoW has going for it is that millions of nerds and wankers play it, and will shell out for a crappy movie without decent characters or even a story.

Wait, now I understand.

Well, that's what they want to do with the film. They want to expand on the story and tie it in to the game, not just retell the same story from the game.

WoW lore is pretty epic...the only other game I'd like to see made into a movie is Fallout.

I have never played WoW and never intend to do so.

I'm just sayin', there's so much better games with better stories to make films out of. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout, the Witcher, CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth, Condemned, and I'm just naming them off the top of my head. Even Alone In The Dark 5, which was a crappy game due to awful controls, would be a fine choice for a film (and not the Uwe Böll atrocity).

The Witcher was pretty fucking epic, that's true.

I wanna see an Elder Scrolls movie.

But we have to remember that films based on already hugely epic games tend to fall flat. I don't think Fallout, ES, or The Witcher would really make good films. The games are so good that I don't think it would measure up.

WoW is pretty epic in the lore category, but it's still an MMO so it's got lots of wiggle room. The gameplay is based around the lore in WoW, whereas in other regular RPGs, the lore is based around the gameplay.

WoW is very linear...it's huge and you can do just about anything you want but the storyline is still rigidly linear. With games like Fallout you can create your own story and it can be different every time. Of course in a way it's linear as well but you have more of a choice than in WoW, which has the same end for each character, only by different means. I think this is why it can work as a film and why games like Fallout, ES, The Witcher, etc. would fall flat.

im kind of interested in the Halo movie coming out, i hate halo but it sounds like the directors really trying to get it right and take his time so he doesn't fall into the Uwe pit.

I played the first Halo and absolutely loved it. Played the second one and thought I was still playing the first, and skipped the third entirely because of the second. It's got the makings of a great movie, though.

But we have to remember that films based on already hugely epic games tend to fall flat. I don't think Fallout, ES, or The Witcher would really make good films.
They would make good films, if they were made by good film makers. And therein lies the problem.

The games are so good that I don't think it would measure up.
I see what you mean, but I'm sure if the right people worked on it, every game, no matter how good, would make for a good film. So far we've only had films made by either incompetent people, or people who didn't even know the game. The Silent Hill movie is the only truly good effort I've seen in all these years.

There already is a witcher movie, technically. It's REALLY fucking bad, but it's a movie. Gotta remember, that game is based on a fairly huge book series.

I just bought "The Witcher" (I know its a 2007 game, I'm a little beind the times) and was totally fucking stoked to play an actual RPG for once in a long while. However my computer at home keeps fucking crashing and not wanting to work right. It pisses me off!!!

im kind of interested in the Halo movie coming out, i hate halo but it sounds like the directors really trying to get it right and take his time so he doesn't fall into the Uwe pit.

Not to mention the fact that all of the live action trailers for the Halo games kick ass.

I just bought "The Witcher" (I know its a 2007 game, I'm a little beind the times) and was totally fucking stoked to play an actual RPG for once in a long while. However my computer at home keeps fucking crashing and not wanting to work right. It pisses me off!!!

lol i never played the witcher because of the lack of armor and swords...im getting it now ill try again i suppose.