Gaming Thread

screenshots won't help. I'm just trying to get any steam link to work.

For instance, I bought borderlands with friends (that buy 4 get a discount package) and my friend gifted me a copy. When I click to accept the gift it just sits there. it's like I didn't even touch the mouse, I get no response at all clicking that. Same with when I try to click on the "send message" link in the friends window. Any link specific to the Steam engine (I've noticed it all begins with Steam:// instead of http:) does absolutely nothing.

I've disconnected my router and gone straight to my modem in case it was a firewall issue, no luck. I read the FAQ about how to manually edit the registry and that didn't work either. I'm completely up to date on Windows, IE, and all my hardware drivers. It's almost like I need to install XP to see if that makes a difference, but I don't have a way of backing up my files right now so I can't do that. I'm totally hoserfied.

Oh, I've also run Steam under administrator by right clicking (even though this account is already an admin one).

Any other ideas though?

That's very odd. I'm actually wondering if its an issue with Steam itself. Have you tried searching the forums to see if anyone else has had the same issue? You could try reinstalling Steam to see if it helps. If it doesn't, rather than install XP to see if fixes the issue, try installing XP in a VM using VMWare Server. I don't know how computer literate you are though but in order to properly install a VM, you have to know what you're doing.

You could also try contacting Steam support but they'll probably tell you to reinstall Steam. I feel that right now, your best bet is to search the forums for an answer. I've personally never had that issue before.

That's very odd. I'm actually wondering if its an issue with Steam itself. Have you tried searching the forums to see if anyone else has had the same issue? You could try reinstalling Steam to see if it helps. If it doesn't, rather than install XP to see if fixes the issue, try installing XP in a VM using VMWare Server. I don't know how computer literate you are though but in order to properly install a VM, you have to know what you're doing.

You could also try contacting Steam support but they'll probably tell you to reinstall Steam. I feel that right now, your best bet is to search the forums for an answer. I've personally never had that issue before.

I've already searched the entire knowledgebase on their website and emailed them twice. None of the suggestions have worked. So XP is about the last chance I have. I'm fairly computer literate, but have never installed a VM before. I know my way around a system fairly well though, and I personally built this computer, so I know the hardware well. What else do I need to know?

I've already searched the entire knowledgebase on their website and emailed them twice. None of the suggestions have worked. So XP is about the last chance I have. I'm fairly computer literate, but have never installed a VM before. I know my way around a system fairly well though, and I personally built this computer, so I know the hardware well. What else do I need to know?

When you install a VM, you specify the amount of RAM to allocate, the amount of hard drive space to allocate and are given different networking options. I'm sure you won't have an issue setting up a VM. For the networking option, you could just use Bridged instead of NAT. Just make sure that the CD-ROM drive is mounted (is visible in the options) so you can install XP once the VM is created. VMWare Server is free but version 2.0 and up are web-based.

If you decide to give it a shot and run into issues, feel free to shoot me a PM or something.

yeah very similar to KOTOR and what not, but has the baldur's gate style universe, my only qualm is on computer (pirated) it has insane loading times. I only have one character and i really like it so far but im interested too see how it plays out when im a different char, im thinking mage next since i spend most of my time playing the mage in my party rather than my actual avatar :p

So has anyone played Dragon Ages yet? Any good?
Playing it right now - it's definitely a good game. On PC, it's quite difficult, but that only makes tactics more essential. Apart from that, it's good old role-playing with companions with personality and made with love for the genre. Buy it, or you'll miss out on the best RPG since... well, a long time.

I downloaded this stupid trucker game the other day out of boredom...holy shit it's fucking addicting. It's slow, boring, has no plot other than to make as much money as you can and build your trucking empire and arsenal of rigs, but holy shit it's so addictive. 18 Wheels of Steel: Haulin' is the name. Graphics are easily 6 years old and all you do is go across the country making deals with companies who will pay you to ship their goods and send your other drivers to work for specific companies. I guess it just took me back to my childhood when I wanted to drive a Peterbilt double-sleeper across the country.

It's slow and a little monotonous but it's still fun for some reason.

im disappointed with the PC version for its lack of dedicated servers and the fact that it has matchmaking making so it lags and you cant have squad servers. and the fact that you can pretty much shoot through anything.

Shoot through anything? Its the opposite for the xbox. Sometimes I can't hit someone through a damn 2x4 piece of wood with a .50 cal.

Servers are going to be rough the game has been out for only a few days. I'm sure they will change some things for the PC in the near future. Just give it some time.

Ive already beat the campaign in 5 hours. They really did a good job with that.

As for multiplayer, that is where the bread and butter is. They added so much more to it but didn't over do it. The level cal is lvl 70 so being able to prestige is going to take some time.

One of my selections for Game of the Year.

Went to the release party. What is with this damn trail thing the grenades are doing? Other than that, aweeeeeeeesome. They have like every Russian gun, every Chinese gun, etc.

Shoot through anything? Its the opposite for the xbox. Sometimes I can't hit someone through a damn 2x4 piece of wood with a .50 cal.

Servers are going to be rough the game has been out for only a few days. I'm sure they will change some things for the PC in the near future. Just give it some time.

Ive already beat the campaign in 5 hours. They really did a good job with that.

As for multiplayer, that is where the bread and butter is. They added so much more to it but didn't over do it. The level cal is lvl 70 so being able to prestige is going to take some time.

One of my selections for Game of the Year.

thats just it they don't have servers just local hosting and matchmaking and they are running it through steam to prevent piracy but theres already hacks for it and VAC isin't doing shit. it's a step back, they royally fucked it up its like xbox now but the lags probably worse.

which is unfortunate because the game itself seems excellent. im just disappointed because there are 200,000 gamers that signed a petition so thats 200,000 people that have a problem with the online but Infinity ward probably wont do shit about it because they really don't care about PC anymore (which is sad because COD wouldn't have near as popular if it hadn't been for PC gamers) and now the pirated version had 37000 leachers and someone made a good point that with the numbers they have now, they might just drop it and take down the servers...

Hey Eric, could you please list the PS2 games you've played and rank them best and worst? Almost done with Nocturne.

I figure I'll either get Odin Sphere (but four of the five playable characters being girls makes me not want to), Digital Devil Saga 1 or 2, or Suikoden 5.

Not in video games, Sean Connery.

I mean I don't mind having two of the four of my group being chicks but an all girls game? I'm not the kind of guy who makes a female character on an MMO, so this is kind of the same thing.

But I'll overlook it if you guys say it's better than the other options.

Not in video games, Sean Connery.

o_5BBoJrcLq0pjuPN.jpg