Gaming Thread

Install this program http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php/

Open it up and then run a game. Play the game for a few minutes, then alt+tab and look at the temps. Look at the CPU temps. You really don't want them to ever be over 70C (I prefer around 60C). If its below that while under full load of the game, I wouldn't worry about it. If they are around there or higher I would look into some additional fans, or perhaps a third party CPU fan/heatsink. GPU is probably fine up to 80C.

Thanks Max! It actually came with some temp monitoring software and I fired it up and played a bit with it recording my gameplay temps. It got just over 50C so I'm quite happy with that.

but you loved 2, so why the gripe with 3?
Not really a gripe as such, just a lack of interest, really.

Thats pretty silly. It really is a tremendous game.
I'll find out when I play it, right?

Finished Persona 4, which has left me with a sense of accomplishment of course, but it also feels the same way it does when you've finished a long, epic novel: you're happy you've completed a big work, but you also secretly wish it wasn't over so you didn't have to say goodbye. It's been as great an experience as Persona 3, and I'll sure miss Souji, Yousuke, Chie, Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Teddie and Naoto.

True Ending, 145 hours, reached level 94, 97% of all Personae fused (including Lucifer), all Social Links maxed.

I'll still only play ME3 when I find it in a bargain bin somewhere...

Currently playing the Binding of Isaac and Bastion, both very fine games, though Bastion's becoming a bit repetitive...

Binding of Isaac is so good. So frustrating, but so good. I'm a Team Meat fanboy, though. Have any of you seen Indie Game: The Movie on Steam? It's so good. Also, running through with the Team Meat commentary is fucking hilarious.

Dead Money is the best DLC in my opinion, explores a more horror-oriented angle, not like you'd expect from its name. Definitely play that one if you like atmosphere and more focus on survival rather than one-shotting deathclaws.
Honest Hearts is the least of them, takes you to... Yellowstone National Park, was it? Where you fight tribals and help some kind of jew tribe. Not really memorable DLC.
Old World Blues is fun, but it does kinda break with the atmosphere of the rest of the game. It's much more wacky and spacey. Fun, but a bit of a Mood Dissonance.
Lonesome Road is also very good, I won't spoil too much about it, but it resolves some loose plot ends, and the place it takes you to is absolutely impressive. If you start that, stop for a moment at the beginning, where you'll look out on an impressive vista: it'll be the area you'll traverse, and it's absolutely mind-blowing. Or it was to me.

Man, I loved Fallout 3 but just could not get into New Vegas. There were so many bugs that it just ruined the experience. I didn't really like the setting that much either.
The bugs have long since been patched and the setting, well, Obsidian are mostly the same people that created the Fallout franchise in the first place - it was Bethesda who broke with the atmosphere and NV actually leans closer to the original games than FO3.

I'm going to beat typing with my phone speak to type feature so forgive me if my messages are weird lately. fallout 3 had better atmosphere but new vegas undeniably has better writing. you can't top of obsidians writing, Chris
Avelone is 1 of the best in the industry new vegas had lots of shades of gray as opposed to the black and white factiINS of fallout 3

Me too. FO3 just seemed to have a better atmosphere, but Ill be damned if I know why exactly. Maybe it just has something to do with me having unrealistic expectations of NV after having played FO3...?

I think its the urban setting of FO3 that makes the difference. Seeing a wrecked city strikes a deeper note than a desolate desert (at least it does for me).

Yeah that could be it too. Ive been to the Mojave and the place looks pretty much the same in game as it does IRL. Minus the mutants and cazadors of course....

Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever heard of the game Metal Arms: Glitch in the System? Its a 3rd person shooter on the ps2. My all time favorite game, but its totally unknown... Am I the only one who got to enjoy that masterpiece?

Just found out that one of the characters was voiced by Dan Castellaneta, better known as the voice of Homer Simpson.