Gateway bands

My gateway to Rock was through Psychedelic Rock. Hardcore Punk is great too.

But in general, as far as metal is concerned, it should be all Classic/Prog Rock stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc.

I also used to like Disturbed & Alterbridge to an extent.

^What's The Used? I don't think I ever liked The Used. My early metal bands were Morbid Angel, Six Feet Under, and then Emperor and Satyricon.

Come Clarity (Which I now dislike) by In Flames inspired me to listen to their older stuff, which led to me listening to Melodic Death loads, which then lead to me branching out into other subgenres.

I've been amazed by how many people I've gotten to listen to some metal by having them listen to Ajattara. Ensiferum might also be a good choice - their music is catchy and it can get people accustomed to a somewhat black metal vocal style.

Maybe Eternal Tears of Sorrow, A Virgin and a Whore/Chaotic Beauty, not BTBS.

Why does the gateway to metal have to be through shitty music? Do we have that low of an opinion of the basic concepts of metal that all it takes is for someone to hear some 70s heavy riffs and all of a sudden they are ready for metal?

How about good gateway music: heavy instrumental or prog rock, experimental ambient and experimental, drone?

Lustmord, Mogwai, Fennesz, Yes, Isis, Earth, Porcupine Tree, Rhys Chatham anyone? All could be considered gateways to metal, and all extremely good. They actually make music that has value, unlike most of the rest of the stuff listed in this thread.

Looking at those bands is probably enough for anyone to understand how I listen to almost exclusively black metal, but maybe I am expecting too much from this crowd.

Why does the gateway to metal have to be through shitty music? Do we have that low of an opinion of the basic concepts of metal that all it takes is for someone to hear some 70s heavy riffs and all of a sudden they are ready for metal?

How about good gateway music: heavy instrumental or prog rock, experimental ambient and experimental, drone?

Lustmord, Mogwai, Fennesz, Yes, Isis, Earth, Porcupine Tree, Rhys Chatham anyone? All could be considered gateways to metal, and all extremely good. They actually make music that has value, unlike most of the rest of the stuff listed in this thread.

Looking at those bands is probably enough for anyone to understand how I listen to almost exclusively black metal, but maybe I am expecting too much from this crowd.

Nobody gets into metal by listening to black or br00tal death metal, people that don't listen to metal will need something catchy and easy to get into before they delve into a kvlt genre like black metal. Personally, it took me a long time to enjoy black metal and even now I only listen to black thrash haha...

The Used are an emo band (don't start Mort), who got me accustomed to harsh vocals because they have screaming. I still have a soft spot for them although I wouldn't buy any more from them.

:lol: They're a pop rock band with an excellent debut and shitty everything else.

My gateway bands were Meshuggah, Blind Guardian and Lamb of God (the middle one which I still love), and I am proud to say that I never really delved much into the usual metalcore/nu-metal stuff that a lot of people get into metal through.

Also, listening to a lot of film scores and game soundtracks gave me a love for ambience/atmospherics that would later influence my choices of metal (black/symphonic stuff).

You have the usual metalcore crap which I started listening to and then moved onto the new In Flames albums (which I now dislike). I was inspired to listen to some of the older In Flames as a result. I didn't like it at first and then it grew on me and led to me looking into more Melodic death and so on.

My earliest metal bands that I listened to were bands like Spineshank, Thrice, Slipknot, and Puddle of Mudd (not really metal, but you get the picture).

Then, I decided to dig deeper and got into more heavier stuff like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Between the Buried and Me, and latter-day In Flames.

This next part was very crucial to expanding my knowledge. This was when I began to invest in metal compilations to open myself up to new bands. This turned out to be very good because I discovered bands that would become my favorites, such as Dark Tranquillity, Heaven Shall Burn, etc.

Following this was just as, if not more important, the next part which I'd like to consider the "Limewire" Age. At the time, I frequented Blabbermouth a lot, and checked out a lot of bands based on reviews, or how cool their artwork looked, or how people generally felt about them. This was how I discovered Communic, Celtic Frost, Kataklysm, older In Flames, Nevermore, and other bands. I also expanded my collection on bands I already listened to.

Finally, I pretty much spammed the money I had on going to amazon and purchasing a shitload of CDs of the Limewire Age bands, expanding my metal collection even further.

After that, I discovered the power of iTunes when I got my first iPod, and began to lurk around Metal Archives and Ultimate Metal to find bands that I would get interested in. This gave way to bands like Agalloch and Dismember and expanding my collection of bands I already listened to by collecting older material (such as Behemoth's earlier Black Metal stuff, thanks to Limewire). Best Buy also helped because they had a decent collection of metal music within their pop/rock isle.

Then, recently, I decided to get get myself into doom metal. The first ever Doom CD I listened to was Celtic Frost's Monotheist, but when I really began to look for Doom material, I started out with Cathedral's "Forest of Equilibrium," and then moved on to bands like Solitude Aeternus and My Dying Bride. Then, I discovered Funeral, and boy what an experience that was. I eventually began to weave my Doom Metal of choice, bands like Saturnus, old-Anathema and dISEMBOWELMENT lead me to favor Doom/Death and Funeral Doom as my Doom of choice, but I always consider exceptions, such as Mael Mordha and the aforementioned Solitude Aeternus.

So, in short, good gateway bands are bands like Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Later-In Flames and lots of Metal Compilations