[geek]nerd[/geek]

Yeah, I'll get it on one of the notebooks, also HP, but it's 3 years old, so I need to make sure it can run Leopard 10.5.

Been looking closer at source code for iPhone applications - it's mighty cool and easy to understand, the hardest part is coming up with an idea for the application so far :lol:

I could develop something for one of my ventures though as it involves QuickTime. Or develop a full-blown video recording app. Or hack in the Flash support :p

And why can't I just get to the bar and get shit-faced instead of coming up with all this? :heh:

Meanwhile this side of the Atlantic:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/playstation-network-gets-single-sign-on-across-devices/

Thus I'm no longer in need of Apple TV (last good Center City rental place closed on June 30th, and the one which's left... well, I'm holding a grudge, and I'm good at that), plus I ran out of HDMI ports on my HDTV and receiver a while ago anyway (unplugging HD DVD player is not an option :D ). HD downloads are quite slow, I'm going to test both HD and SD tonight, but in any case I won't be left without rentals :p

On an aside because this wasn't brought up previously, but for extreme amounts of storage, there is no alternative to Apple that I'm aware of. 120GB isn't touched by another manufacturer, and after that you have the Zune and Cowon at ~80GB.

Its because its fucking stupid. Seriously if your taste and power to make decisions isn't good enough to narrow it down to 2GB before going out then you have no business listening to music or you just wanna show up your collection so either way you are a stupid poser or a stupid nerd if you need more than 2-4 gb.

Meanwhile this side of the Atlantic:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/playstation-network-gets-single-sign-on-across-devices/

Thus I'm no longer in need of Apple TV

That Apple guy at work has Apple TV, I don't quite know why, I have IP TV from Telia
that offers movies as well, but I hardly ever use it cos the prices are just moronic, 49kr
(~5€) for a new movie and I think 29kr is the cheapest movie I've seen there for some
B-movie crap.
I'd just rather download the movie on my comp and watch is thru my TV that way, no
point in paying moronic amounts to Hollywood so they can produce another fucking
sequel to something they've already raped before.

Its because its fucking stupid. Seriously if your taste and power to make decisions isn't good enough to narrow it down to 2GB before going out then you have no business listening to music or you just wanna show up your collection so either way you are a stupid poser or a stupid nerd if you need more than 2-4 gb.

Actually my taste changes with my mood, thus I bring all my music with me, also, would
you really wanna travel 6-10 hours (one way) with just 2GB of music?
Anyway, I also bring Audiobooks and in some cases pictures on my iPod too, thus 2GB
would do me no good.

And besides, I do have a 1GB iPod Shuffle which I got just for such times where I only
need music (and I got it cos it was cheaper and easier (no additional site signups which I
hate) to get than anything else that was around at the time, it was on sale cos the new
model was coming out in a month or something) and am not going anywhere too far from
my comp.

See the thing with the big iPod is that you take it with you on long trips, like I'm out of
touch with my comp for 2+ weeks right now, would you wanna listen to the same album
for 2+ weeks? I sure as hell don't.

Concerning Ipod: i had one a few years ago (it is now dead, by te way), i also bought it for the 20gb storage. I also like to have all the music i often listen to with me when i travel for the following reasons:

- i dont always have time to turn on my computer and choose which music i want to listen to before i leave, or i dont want to do this

-what i listen to depends from which mood i am in

-when i only take a few cds with me, i always want to hear one i didnt take

- a long journey alone with only a few songs is boring

-i usually dont like to listen to a whole album in one time, i rather listen a few songs from each album.

Also, if you are an audiophile like I am and invest money in good quality headphones and products, you either use FLAC or 320kbps mp3s, which tend to take up a lot of space. I won't re-hash what the others said, but I will say I agree. I don't want to have to choose. Plus videos and movies (albeit on a tiny screen unless you get the awesome and expensive Cowon, which has a 4' screen) take up plenty of space.

If 2-4GBs suits you, that's great. It'll save you some money and grant you the greatest amount of choice, because there are a metric ton of entries within that storage range. I just want more.

And why can't I just get to the bar and get shit-faced instead of coming up with all this? :heh:

Well, when you sell your awesome, critically acclaimed app and make a ton of money, you can own the bar. After that, you can get as much alcohol and chicks as you want. Think of it as securing a future in debauchery.

I think it's meant as a means to transfer data from place A where you have your collection arranged the way you want it to place B where you're also going to have your collection arranged the way you want it. There are other ways to do it, but they're less fashionable and more clumsy than a portable player.

You amaze me.

Well, when you sell your awesome, critically acclaimed app and make a ton of money, you can own the bar. After that, you can get as much alcohol and chicks as you want. Think of it as securing a future in debauchery.

We were banned from a Belgian-style bar in a quiet neighborhood after 2 nights there, can't say we were destructive, but Belgian beer and it's volumes consumed tends to bring the worst out in us.

We started a fight, and we won.

We were banned from a Belgian-style bar in a quiet neighborhood after 2 nights there, can't say we were destructive, but Belgian beer and it's volumes consumed tends to bring the worst out in us.

what beer did you try? something with 8% alcohol or more ?

i actually never tried those. I havent even heard about the first two (but there are at least 400 different beers in belgium, so it is not a surprise :p). I have heard of Duvel, but never tried. Where i come from, the strong beers we drink are rather Rochefort, Orval, or Chimay bleue, because they are made not so far away. Have you eber tried Rochefort 8?

i actually never tried those. I havent even heard about the first two (but there are at least 400 different beers in belgium, so it is not a surprise :p). I have heard of Duvel, but never tried. Where i come from, the strong beers we drink are rather Rochefort, Orval, or Chimay bleue, because they are made not so far away. Have you eber tried Rochefort 8?

No, but I'm putting that on top on my list :devil: I tried Orval before, I think, but I can't remember. Also want to try those really expensive cave-aged beers :hotjump:

I'm more into lighter beers/pale ales, Stella Artois is on my weekend list, as it's quite refreshing, Carlsberg sometimes (goes perfectly with pizza), Kirin Ichiban or Sapporo with sushi, I also prefer brown, darker beers, but no Guiness or anything port (that's the term, right?), no sweet or bitter or dark whatsoever (brown Petrus is as black as I go and keep coming back :Smokedev:)

Mentioned that Belgian beer I drink goes particularly well with seafood.

And I don't like beer in winter - I switch to scotch altogether.

Belgium is funny, you come to any larger town and they have their own beer, named after the town.
That's probably why belgian bike tours are usually short, you fall off the bike after the 4th town

Actually my taste changes with my mood, thus I bring all my music with me, also, would you really wanna travel 6-10 hours (one way) with just 2GB of music? Anyway, I also bring Audiobooks and in some cases pictures on my iPod too, thus 2GB would do me no good.

And besides, I do have a 1GB iPod Shuffle which I got just for such times where I only need music (and I got it cos it was cheaper and easier (no additional site signups which I hate) to get than anything else that was around at the time, it was on sale cos the new model was coming out in a month or something) and am not going anywhere too far from my comp.

See the thing with the big iPod is that you take it with you on long trips, like I'm out of touch with my comp for 2+ weeks right now, would you wanna listen to the same album for 2+ weeks? I sure as hell don't.

1) Yes I have different moods, nothing that cannot be covered with say....6 hours of total music allowing for lots of variety, which can fit in 2-4gb no problem. I don't want to carry my entire collection I'll get into that in a bit

2) I took a big trip without a computer, in fact I was without regular access for 4.5 months total. I had a 2gb player and filled it up with my mp3-dvd every 2 or 3 weeks maybe. Your hyperbole its quite frankly stupid: Not even with 100% uncompressed FLAC files can you fit only 2 albums, you can easily fit at least 5 albums on quality that is too good for crappy earphones anyway. And with regular quality I can fit 10-15 full albums. And most albums have lots of fluff or songs I don't particularly feel like keeping so in reality thats lots of variety, enough for 2+ weeks unless you are confined to some sort of torture chamber with nothing but music.

3) Having your entire collection its actually counterproductive and I will tell you why. I own a Nintendo DS, and I have something in the neighborhood of 10 games for it ( NDS games plus a few gameboy advance games since it can read those ). All of them but Metroid Zero mission and Metroid Prime Hunters are RPGs. I love to play em and I usually only take a single game or two games with me ( a GBA game and a DS game ). If I will have a trip I bring a small DS pouch/wallet thing with maybe 4 or 5 games.

Before that I used to have a flash card, the M3DS real. I found myself carrying always 15-20 roms on my 2gb card. And I never really enjoyed it, I usually played a game for a few minutes and turn it off. It was simply too many games to choose from, specially the kind of games that I like ( RPGs ) which are not simple "pick up and play" games ( seriously, is not easy to know the story and the maps and what you need to do on 4 or 5 different RPG games at the same time ).

The card had to be returned for factory issues but I so far have not purchased another card, not because I don't want free games but because I don't want so many games that I won't give em a fair try.

Now I can see why someone would wanna carry a lot more games than me, but I cannot see why somebody would want to carry 40-50 games. That is just unrealistic and pointless, you are never going to get to enjoy all of them, you are never going to get to spend enough time with em.

It is the same with music: if you just want background noise get an FM radio. If you wanna hear music you can pretty much limit yourself to 6 or 7 different albums and truly pay attention and LISTEN, not just hear but listen to em.

If I wanted my full collection for a long trip I would either carry my laptop or my collection in optical media and still select only 1.5 gb of stuff I actually want to listen while on the bus or otherwise commuting.

Just because technology is available doesn't means that you have to spend like a maniac on it if you don't really need it. What I dislike about apple is precisely this, to a larger extend they encourage this consumerist attitude of giving people useless features they don't really need, of pushing technology thats highly unnecessary.

I think it's meant as a means to transfer data from place A where you have your collection arranged the way you want it to place B where you're also going to have your collection arranged the way you want it. There are other ways to do it, but they're less fashionable and more clumsy than a portable player.

A DVD wallet its good enough. I trust optical media a lot more than a hard drive inside an mp3 player even if it says "apple" im still betting is formatted in what, Fat32? Can you even get it to work if you reformat an iPod in ext3 ? I don't think so.

Realistically speaking if you wanna transfer your entire collection its not something you would do so often that you absolutely need to have it all on the mp3 player. Other than a DJ its pointless.

And what you mention is not as unreasonable but this is clearly not the intended purpose of something like 99% of ipod users that just want to have their entire collection at all times for bragging purposes.

Realistically speaking if you wanna transfer your entire collection its not something you would do so often that you absolutely need to have it all on the mp3 player. Other than a DJ its pointless.

I was thinking more on the lines of college kids spending part of the year in one place and the rest in another, owning two computers both with identical iTunes configurations and finding it easiest to ferry between the two their music collection inside something that is instantly recognized by the application.

You can set up any other media player to do exactly that, and carry around CDs, DVDs, external hard drives instead, which is why I think your point about the desire to brag is generally valid. But I believe Apple (like every other company) is trying to build brand loyalty based on the apparent ease of use and standardization of their products.

Also, many of those Gbs are often devoted to video files, are they not?