[geek]nerd[/geek]

I'm following the Mac Conference right now, very interesting. I hate that they are now including FireWire (and a SD slot) on MacBooks :erk: :Smug: .

Ah well no problem, I'll just buy another one (right :rolleyes: ).

Snow Leopard at $29 for previous Leopard users is certainly very good! :kickass:

Nervously waiting next-gen iPhone announcement :D

Who cares? Data plan is still bullshit and the Palm Pre is supposed to have a more intuitive OS from early reviews I've read. The only major distinct advantage the iPhone has is developer support, but if that market takes off on the Pre or at least gets to G1 levels, it'll be fine. I'd rather deal with the G1 anyway because of open source (sans the idealism, open source is good for obvious reasons) and because the Google monopoly will eventually become our supreme overlords.

Who cares? Data plan is still bullshit and the Palm Pre is supposed to have a more intuitive OS from early reviews I've read. The only major distinct advantage the iPhone has is developer support, but if that market takes off on the Pre or at least gets to G1 levels, it'll be fine. I'd rather deal with the G1 anyway because of open source (sans the idealism, open source is good for obvious reasons) and because the Google monopoly will eventually become our supreme overlords.

Bullshit? Pffft.

Pre? You fucking serious?

OK, about the plans: I'm asking people with non-smarthones from other carriers how much they pay. Same number of minutes as me, NO DATA, no any other functionality even close to iPhone (the only difference - unlimited SMSes), price... $25-40 dollars less (the crappier the phone - the bigger the difference). Ugi hates his Razor, which freezes all the time in mid-sentence during typing one of those unlimited SMSes, and he pays 20 bucks less a month.

That's $240 a year, or somewhere around a day of work.

I'm getting third iPhone in addition to first gen and the original 3G, but fuck AT&T for having higher prices for mid-contract customers... well, it's just a $100 difference, but I'm going to wait out just cuz of principle :) Firmware 3.0 - free for my 3G - will have most of the functionality - except video and voice control (and probably tethering). Plus - I'm going to see how AT&T will provide tethering and MMS support.

A guy - CEO or somewhere high up there - from SanDisk (#2 maker of MP3 players after Apple) said like a day or two ago (or it was when I saw it): "You can't out-iPod and iPod" or something along those lines.

You can't out-iPhone the iPhone, open-source or whatever, it might be closing on blackberries due to their demand in business world, but it's becoming most popular smartphone across every "niche", bar none.

Bullshit? Pffft.

Pre? You fucking serious?

Do research or be ignorant. Your choice. Consequently, likely your loss.

OK, about the plans: I'm asking people with non-smarthones from other carriers how much they pay. Same number of minutes as me, NO DATA, no any other functionality even close to iPhone (the only difference - unlimited SMSes), price... $25-40 dollars less (the crappier the phone - the bigger the difference). Ugi hates his Razor, which freezes all the time in mid-sentence during typing one of those unlimited SMSes, and he pays 20 bucks less a month.

That's $240 a year, or somewhere around a day of work.

Sprint offers unlimited everything for 100$ a month. Substantially cheaper than full usage required to get the best out of the phone from AT&T, if that's still around 140$ a month like it was when I researched it a few months ago (admittedly its been a while). Extrapolating if that is indeed the cost, its 480$ less a year, or "two days of work", I guess. While it may not be substantial to you, I'd wager it is for a large portion of individuals.

I'm getting third iPhone in addition to first gen and the original 3G, but fuck AT&T for having higher prices for mid-contract customers... well, it's just a $100 difference, but I'm going to wait out just cuz of principle :) Firmware 3.0 - free for my 3G - will have most of the functionality - except video and voice control (and probably tethering). Plus - I'm going to see how AT&T will provide tethering and MMS support.

A guy - CEO or somewhere high up there - from SanDisk (#2 maker of MP3 players after Apple) said like a day or two ago (or it was when I saw it): "You can't out-iPod and iPod" or something along those lines.

Who cares? Also,the second part is assuming people want an iProduct in the first place. I've had a Sansa mp3 player and it has been superior in features both in hardware and firmware (frequently updated with legit features also). A Sansa Clip, 30$ for 1 gig, meant to be cheap, got it to listen to in class, way more features than an iPod Shuffle for half the price, and a 4 gig one can be had for ~50$. On top of that, their competition for the iPod nano has better features for half the price, but who cares about that?

You can't out-iPhone the iPhone, open-source or whatever, it might be closing on blackberries due to their demand in business world, but it's becoming most popular smartphone across every "niche", bar none.

Frankly popularity does not equate to technical superiority, fiscal responsibility, or myriad other qualities. That's a logical fallacy you should know. They will make a crap ton of money off it and will continue for the forseeable future. That doesn't bother me at all. What I don't like is when products offer something different with clear potential to be better or at least more flexible, they are immediately written off due to brand or image related nonsense.

Sprint offers unlimited everything for 100$ a month.

Prooflink.

Frankly popularity does not equate to technical superiority, fiscal responsibility, or myriad other qualities.

Bottom line - my Apple stock is making me money. Based on brand's popularity (and whatever else).

Personally, I prefer to get the best product that fits my needs that I can afford, and Apple is at the top of the list.

Prooflink.

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASA...idual_Plans_Filter&newZipCode=08302&x=25&y=15

First box down. Admittedly the website looks shitty, but its just to make a point. This obviously doesn't include Apps, but neither does AT&T so no biggy.

Bottom line - my Apple stock is making me money. Based on brand's popularity (and whatever else).

Personally, I prefer to get the best product that fits my needs that I can afford, and Apple is at the top of the list.

I can't and won't argue with either point, that's fine (not like you need my approval or anything, not trying to sound that way). And although I was engaging you in discourse, I was also trying to be more broad also - not necessarily you but others purchase based on image or brand without doing research and end up wasting time and money. And although that doesn't affect you directly, like I said before, I'd wager that it does affect a significant portion. I'm not a *nix user (too lazy) but those are the kind of products I like - I invest some time and effort for something that is stable and highly customized to my personality, and something that's cost efficient because I need that. Its certainly not like that for everyone and I appreciate that.

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASA...idual_Plans_Filter&newZipCode=08302&x=25&y=15

First box down. Admittedly the website looks shitty, but its just to make a point. This obviously doesn't include Apps, but neither does AT&T so no biggy.

Eh... as you do research about devices, I'm more inclined to do research about plans - I'd rather have a better phone than a better plan.

For example: I have 450 minutes (cell-to-cell (mine to any other carrier) is free (as most people I call and spend time on the phone have cells - it's unlimited), night and weekends are virtually unlimited - I get 5000 minutes, and I hardly use any), plus it's all about rollover minutes (the ones you didn't use go to the next month, and get deleted after like 6 months if unused or something like that). In addition - I have a heavy accent, bad hearing and I constantly drunk-dial people, so speaking on the phone isn't exactly my thing anyway :D

What do I get from the device?

- phone
- iPod
- video player
- gaming device
- communicator (e-mail, web)
- photocamera (eh)

So instead of 3-5 devices (5th being a videorecording device having in mind coming 3G S) I carry around only one. Functionality of which is constantly improved by all kinds of applications - it just happens that most of things I use in my life are eagerly supported by iPhone developers.

So it's not really a question of personal preference - it's a question of whether you are an Apple fanboy (or not really inclined, like)or not.

And money, of course. But pricing wasn't that bad for a working person, so...

Wanted to add: Apple were always (or something like that) about really cool user interface and stable performance, that creates unparalleled user experience.

Of course my iPhones froze on me (not in mid-sentence though - on some web-pages or in an application (latter very rarely in my experince)), but I can't recall a single act of frustration due to using them in last 2 years (i.e. since I ever had one). And Apple keeps improving both user eperience and stability over the years, so many people are going to be happy :)

I think the only cool hing Storm brought was tactile response (you feel something pressing the screen). Pffft. Right :D

Wanted to add: Apple were always (or something like that) about really cool user interface and stable performance, that creates unparalleled user experience.

:lol: looks like you weren't around in the OSX (Cheetah) days, it was a buggy mess, even worse than Vista at launch.

:lol: looks like you weren't around in the OSX (Cheetah) days, it was a buggy mess, even worse than Vista at launch.

Nah, I wasn't around :)

That's why I said "always (or something like that)". But they were always about better user experience, AFAIK.

Nah, I wasn't around :)
But they were always about better user experience, AFAIK.

That's debatable. Better in this case can mean more simplified, and it was that way for a while. OSX now is easier to use than Windows and *nix and looks to continue that way, but as I stated before, if I had the time to invest I'd get a better experience out of *nix. I know I am in the minority and I'm certainly OK with that, because I can do without whatever hand-holding goes on inside OSes, and that goes for all of them, not just OSX.

I meant to add, as far as tactile response goes in phones, there was a prototype released at last year's consumer electronics expo (or something of the sort) that had a non-volatile liquid underneath the touch screen that could move around and be raised up to form keys of any shape given the situation. I think that's cool. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of touch screen keyboards. Its not a selling point for me, and I know the iPhone's is good (or at least good enough), but I'd rather just have a QWERTY and a touch screen. Things are far enough along that you can have both without sacrificing form factor. Again, just personal preference.

I meant to add, as far as tactile response goes in phones, there was a prototype released at last year's consumer electronics expo (or something of the sort) that had a non-volatile liquid underneath the touch screen that could move around and be raised up to form keys of any shape given the situation. I think that's cool. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of touch screen keyboards. Its not a selling point for me, and I know the iPhone's is good (or at least good enough), but I'd rather just have a QWERTY and a touch screen. Things are far enough along that you can have both without sacrificing form factor. Again, just personal preference.

If you had to use a touchscreen keyboard (say, you are allergic to physical keeyboards plastic :D) - you'd get to used to it quickly enough and wouldn't want to go back. See, I'm too lazy, and actually pressing the button makes me make an effort, so fuck it - iPhone's touchscreen keyboard is awesome. It picks up what you type and suggests words, moreso it was said it reads your input and widens the area around the keys you are most likely to press next, so your typing is precise.

Didn't frustrate me after years of using, so i don't want to go back to actual keyboards.

No idea about if anyone has big fingers though.

I can get back to you on that, but none of that stuff is really good for some reason. One of my committee members has really bad carpel and she's been looking for some good voice-to-text, but for academic stuff it's all pretty mediocre. If you find anything good, let me know, I have bad tendonitis / carpel / whatever the hell happens to my hands. Audio to text would be a godsend to me.