[geek]nerd[/geek]

^ Yeah most of the stuff is pretty bad I guess. I wonder if there will ever be a programme that will accurately transcribe human voice to text….

But transcribing interviews takes too much damn time, I'm thinking of paying someone to do that, but then again I'm afraid the person won't do a good job and will end up damaging my paper.

I can't wait for the new generation of ATI cards to be launched and benchmarked, even though I'm not planning to get one :bah:

/geek

I installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook, it really does make a difference! Everything is nicer (and for a Mac, that's saying a lot), and besides the 10GB of space I got, it really is quite faster (at least I feel it that way).

And only $30! :worship:

Got it last weekend, too lazy to pop the DVD in :D

Best thing I've read in ages, too bad it can never really be proven for
obvious reasons: LHC sabotaged from the future

Laughed my ass off :D

Got it last weekend, too lazy to pop the DVD in :D

Laughed my ass off :D

:rolleyes: OK hahaha.

Yeah the article was pretty funny :p. Funny, or dead serious…?

Anyhow, Apple released some new desktops and MacBooks.

The new Magic Mouse looks stunning too! I think that I'm really going to buy a new desktop when I go to Canada in January, mine is getting really old. Too many programmes, too little capacity.

Oh and apparently Windows 7 is out too, PC users who have it here, is it any good? Not that I'll ever switch to Windows :p .

7 is the best thing since XP. I will upgrade to it on my glorified console.
Other machines will stay with Linux.

So, how is 7?

My girl told me Office for Mac 2010 looks awesome, hopefully they got rid of that bloody toolbox shit.

I think I'll have to format my MacBook, got weird viruses on my USB, took a lot of effor to delete them and the computer got really (and by really I mean transfer rate of BYTES from the computer to the USB) slow. Weird, it's just two folders that are like that. Oh well, I already replaced them. Crap it still doesn't work, perhaps it's time to format….

Ah, bollocks.

I'll probably be buying a new Mac desktop soon, have you used the new mouse Plintus? They have them here, but they don't let them, for some reason, put the mouses on display. Since they're wireless Apple is probably afraid someone will run away with a couple in this 3rd-world countries :p .

I'll probably be buying a new Mac desktop soon, have you used the new mouse Plintus? They have them here, but they don't let them, for some reason, put the mouses on display. Since they're wireless Apple is probably afraid someone will run away with a couple in this 3rd-world countries :p .

I have Magic Mouse from day 1 :D

Well, the fuckers didn't ship it to stores (Apple stores even) till a Thursday next week after announcement, but I got one of the last ones on day one it was available. Made a fucking trip over the bridge to Jersey, we got lost, but got it minutes before store closed.

Best fucking mouse I ever used (and I used the ones from, like, early 80's :D) for the money. Worth every penny, I don't know if there could be a better input device from anyone (a user mouse, I don't mean task specific devices). And I use gaming grade Logitech (higher end) mice on other computers.

Few downers: won't work with anything but Macs and gesture recognition (swipes specifically) won't work in Firefox (scrolling works fine anywhere).

And they have them on display at official Apple stores, they are rigged, so you won't carry them away. Still, trying it on display doesn't give the best impression - it seems small, and I'm using bigger mice on PCs, but it's fucking amazing. I catch myself swiping on desktop mice all the time :D I use Mac at home all the time (when not playing Modern Warfare on the PC).

Getting something less than a 27" iMac is not advised, hahaha :D I am amazed how it costs almost the same money as a standalone 30" display (and has the same resolution as far as I remember). One bad thing about it - comes in glossy nly. meh.

I have Magic Mouse from day 1 :D

Well, the fuckers didn't ship it to stores (Apple stores even) till a Thursday next week after announcement, but I got one of the last ones on day one it was available. Made a fucking trip over the bridge to Jersey, we got lost, but got it minutes before store closed.

Best fucking mouse I ever used (and I used the ones from, like, early 80's :D) for the money. Worth every penny, I don't know if there could be a better input device from anyone (a user mouse, I don't mean task specific devices). And I use gaming grade Logitech (higher end) mice on other computers.

Few downers: won't work with anything but Macs and gesture recognition (swipes specifically) won't work in Firefox (scrolling works fine anywhere).

And they have them on display at official Apple stores, they are rigged, so you won't carry them away. Still, trying it on display doesn't give the best impression - it seems small, and I'm using bigger mice on PCs, but it's fucking amazing. I catch myself swiping on desktop mice all the time :D I use Mac at home all the time (when not playing Modern Warfare on the PC).

Getting something less than a 27" iMac is not advised, hahaha :D I am amazed how it costs almost the same money as a standalone 30" display (and has the same resolution as far as I remember). One bad thing about it - comes in glossy nly. meh.

Ah, but my dear Plintus, you are forgetting a crucial matter:

I live in Costa Rica, so I have to pay a fucking, and really a bloody lot of taxes when it comes to electronics. For a console I have to pay 50% more, so a PS3 is $300 in the US, +- $500 for me.

A 21" desktop is $1200 in the US, $1600 for me.

And really, it's horrible. If I buy one in Canada it might get stolen, someone might open the suitcases. If I buy it there and send it as an item to my address in the US, I'll have to pay, oh I don't even want to know how much, but it'll be more expensive than buying it here. (I once ordered a 32GB iPod Touch for my friend and he had to pay ca. $300 of taxes + shipping.)

Even more, if the computer (e.g. my laptop) gets damaged, I have no warranty so I'd have to pay a lot more to get fixed than a person that bought it here.

So a 27", which is obviously what I would love to have, ends up costing around $2500, which is too much money, money that I don't have. (Hey I'm a Uni professor, I don't earn much :().

One day, when I move to Canada, I'll have the best computer and (hopefully) not have to worry about the price.

Thanks for the Mouse comments, I admit that it was what pushed me to buy a new desktop. Yeah, at first they only had the new models in California and New York I believe. For some reason they have the new models here, but they don't have them on display, apparently they're not allowed. Kind of fishy though.

Just get an external monitor, and plug your laptop into it - that's what I did, and that's what pretty much everyone does... well, I kinda took it pretty far:

sparta.jpg

:heh:

p.s. Table on the right is from IKEA and is called... MIKAEL :D

^ Nice set up! :kickass:

But what if I get robbed and have no back-up of my data? Ha! :erk:

Backup on the portable external harddrive (the one that doesn't need an additional power chord and fits in your pocket), something like WD Passport. They are not expensive and very reliable (although I'd reccomend only WDs since that's the only brand I'm using across the board, internally and externally on PCs and Macs).

It has a utility that backs up your stuff and you can encrypt it if you have anything sensitive you are working with.

Apple released a new iMac today, which makes my awesome computer the "old" model now.

Kind of.

The differences are not substantial, only graphics and processor. That's not substantial improvement, considering that I can easily upgrade my ram up to 16GB, which is a lot right now.

The new Desktop Trackpad is excellent, though. I'll read some reviews, and probably buy it when I go to Colorado in October.