Genres are Useless

:lol:
Labels are necessary, if for no other reason than for us to maintain an at least tentative grasp on reality. Some string theorists insist that that reality is nothing but a holographic representation of mathematical formulas, so we should, by the op's logic, refer to everything that exists as numbers. Besides, I like starting arguments about the finer points of the differences between doom death and funeral doom, which are so similar as to be be practically indistinguishable from each other.

because only listening to metal doesnt make you enough of a douchebag elitist. You must only listen to one subgenre of metal and nothing else. Also preferably, only listen to one subgenre within that subgenre.

For example I only listen to depressive/suicidal black metal. Everything is total shit

because only listening to metal doesnt make you enough of a douchebag elitist. You must only listen to one subgenre of metal and nothing else. Also preferably, only listen to one subgenre within that subgenre.

For example I only listen to depressive/suicidal black metal. Everything is total shit

You're such an annoying little whore. :erk:

I hope you're planning suicide while listening to that sub-subgenre

I started this discussion with the hope of gathering ideas on the categorization of music, not to spark hostility. I'm sorry some of you think/react negatively towards ideas that you find to be silly, stupid or even a waste of time.

Back to the subject, I personally ignore (or try to) labels and such. I see and hear things as they are with no coloration. When I am shopping for new music I do find it easier to pinpoint what I'm in the mood for listening by way of classifying. But that is where it stops for me.

In that bands actively engage in genre craft, it's ridiculous to attempt to ignore the concept of genres. Part of the charm of certain bands is the very nature by which they adhere to genre tropes.

Also there are that many bands under the general banner of metal that if there were'nt such a thing as genres you'd be literally judging an album by its cover.

I started this discussion with the hope of gathering ideas on the categorization of music, not to spark hostility. I'm sorry some of you think/react negatively towards ideas that you find to be silly, stupid or even a waste of time.

Then post a more thoughtful introduction rather than a trolling post seemingly aimed at getting people riled up :rolleyes:

Back to the subject, I personally ignore (or try to) labels and such. I see and hear things as they are with no coloration. When I am shopping for new music I do find it easier to pinpoint what I'm in the mood for listening by way of classifying. But that is where it stops for me.

Sorry to tell you, but genres are the best way to classify music, plain and simple. If you think your going to have some sort of epiphany and figure out a way to classify music that bypasses having any sort of descriptive notion as to what its about, chances are your going to end up disappointed.

I can tell your more focused on the open minded experience rather than being influenced by outside sources, but tell me exactly why the classification of music itself creates this bias? Its really easy to listen to music for what it is even if you know it's genre beforehand, at least imo. Unless of course you are a dimwit and automatically develop a preconceived notion the second you hear something is "brutal death metal" for example.

Genres are definitely NOT useless, it would be hard to describe a band with words if there were no genres.

I actually had this argument quite a few times with a lot of folks over on the Black Sabbath website... I would even explain in detail that they are necessary, when one is trying to look for bands with a specific aesthetic or sound... I mean, what's easier to do a search for... "black metal", or "metal that generally contains high-pitched, tremolo-picked melodies, occasionally lo-fi production, and shrieked vocals"?

But as usual, I'd get the same meatheaded, unsubstantiated response that they had given at the beginning of the argument: "it's all just music man, the only genres are 'music I like' and 'music I don't', fuck labels, derp", which drives me fucking mad.

I listen to many genres of metal but I think there's a difference between Iron Maiden and some black metal bands for example. There's no denying the fact that some genres might sound similar and it isn't always clear what genre a band belongs to but we need genres, just to make some idiots understand that Iron Maiden isn't the same music as Dark Funeral (this might be a bad example but i think you got my point).

On my itunes I changed the genre on every single song to "Who gives a fuck" a few weeks back