Ghost - North American Tour

Hence why they aren't coming to Chicago.
They know they will have good album sales already here in Chicago.
You tour to increase album sales.
While playing Chicago may be a "sure thing" I can see why their new label would want to try different markets..

Their label has nothing to do with their booking agent and management. And if they sell out one market, it would (on paper) make sense to play that market since you would get paid more (which means the management and the agent make more money). It's got nothing to do with album sales. It's likely just an issue of Chicago being unavailable for the amount of money Ghost wanted at that time.

Their label has nothing to do with their booking agent and management. And if they sell out one market, it would (on paper) make sense to play that market since you would get paid more (which means the management and the agent make more money). It's got nothing to do with album sales. It's likely just an issue of Chicago being unavailable for the amount of money Ghost wanted at that time.

This. It's like people don't understand that it goes beyond "I want to book a show in X city." Ta-Da! Show booked!"

Apparently Ghost had to change their name in north America to GHOST B.C. because of "legal" reasons? Anyone have any idea why? Or what BC stands for?

So much for the old saying that if you don't want to get skipped, show up to the shows and buy the albums. With this logic, it would seem that the best way to make sure a tour hits your city would be to ignore them completely.

The only reason I brought up the label was that they are on a new one.
One reason why labels are interested in bands is due to their willingness and ability to tour.
I have known of many bands who have gotten passed over by a label, or gotten the shaft by their own label, due to their inability to tour.

I was not present at the meeting between Ghost, their management, and their new label.
Just saying even though the label itself has nothing to do with actually planning or scheduling the routing, they may have (and probably were) been involved in discussing how to best further market GHOST, esp in the states.

Part of that discussion could have been to hit markets they have not yet been to.
I am sure this is just the first of MANY US legs for GHOST this year and beyond.

The only reason I brought up the label was that they are on a new one.
One reason why labels are interested in bands is due to their willingness and ability to tour.
I have known of many bands who have gotten passed over by a label, or gotten the shaft by their own label, due to their inability to tour.

I was not present at the meeting between Ghost, their management, and their new label.
Just saying even though the label itself has nothing to do with actually planning or scheduling the routing, they may have (and probably were) been involved in discussing how to best further market GHOST, esp in the states.

Part of that discussion could have been to hit markets they have not yet been to.
I am sure this is just the first of MANY US legs for GHOST this year and beyond.

What you say isn't entirely wrong. For Ghost to get a $750,000 advance from Universal, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that Tom Whalley bought the band's publishing rights. If UMG can get a radio hit out of Ghost, or even some mid level licensing success like Whalley achieved with Mastodon, they will make many x more than that initial advance.

What this means, is that if the label has its hands in the band's pockets that deep, it might be interested in the minutia of its tour schedule. But, in terms of what exact cities it plays? I doubt it. Soundscan numbers are not state-by-state and only reflect national sales on the whole. If the record doesn't do well in the US, the justification for a tour is harder, and if it does really well, the justification goes up - but it's not necessarily an issue of market to market. Booking a tour is frankly, and I don't care if you're a diy kid or William Morris, hard as fuck. You have to plot out an itinerary that works, find promoters willing to buy the package for the price the bands require, re-route the tour for any dates that may fall though due to lack of interest or everything being booked up already, AND make sure that there are as few days off as possible to ensure the bands aren't losing money.

Another new song.

Between this and Secular Haze, I'm ok writing this band off. At least we got one good LP.

Last edited by a moderator: