Ghost Reveries Compared to the other albums

harry.ska

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2006
I've been a fan of Opeth for about 5 years now. The reason I started listening to their stuff was because of the way they were palying back then. I love Orchid, M<orningrise, MAYH. I've got to admit that Still Life is probably the greatest progressive album I've ever heard, specialy the song Godhead's Lament.
That was the introduction. Just want to now your idea about the new face of opeth. I'm talking about damnations and ghost reveries. Well, Damnation and Deliverance are great, no doubt about it, but my impression about opeth was totally different. I hope it makes scense, absolutely great pices of work like orchid up until still life (maybe deliverence), and then damnation!!!
I was quite dissapointed when i heared damnation, i agree that its very nice and is full of feelings, but as an opeth album?
Now, My new problem is the Ghost reveries album. I think its the worst theyve ever done. I would never ever expect something like the fuckin' "Atonement" in an opeth album. What the bloody hell is that song, absolute non-scense.
I'm so sad that Martin Lopez left the band. I hanv't heard Axe's druming, (they'll be playing in Portsmouth tomorrow night whach is 50 mins drive from where i live (in England), but i'm going to miss it as i'll be working at that time, quite pissed off about that, anyway). I think Martin Lopez has done a great job.
Please let me know your ideas about the GR album...
Cheers, Harry.

In before flamefest :erk:

I don't personally like GR as much as the other albums. It's probably about equal to Deliverance in my ranking. But it just doesn't give me the same vibes as all the others do, even Deliverance.

well yeh i agree, its a good album, but not great. i know alot of people disagree with me on this one, but i dont like the production on gr that much. it just dosent fit opeth's sound, its crystal clear..which i hate. i dont want it to be raw as on orchid and morningrise, but like on blackwater park or deliverance. its a good record, but i hope their next album will be alot better.

harry.ska said:
I would never ever expect something like the fuckin' "Atonement" in an opeth album.

Ever think thats why they made it? to do something different. The track is amazing imo. I don't personally see how you can call it nonsense (or non-scense in your words :erk: )

The albums not only consists of some of their best work musically ( soem say it lacks the emotion found in their earlier works, and i can see where theyre coming from, but thats mostly due to the lyrical nature not being similar to earlier works (but if anyone can say that isolation years or hours of wealth lacks emotion, theyre just fucking stupid)), but it also has, to me, one of the best 'flows' of any of their albums. (apparently, according to the introduction in the new edition of GR, the final track order screws up the storyline of the concept mike was working on prior to creating isolation years...so maybe thats a good thing?).

I love the album personally, and think it's one of if not the best album theyve made (i still hold on to still life as that though...for now...not as much experience with gr as with sl :oops: ) I also feel it was a much needed change for them musically, and cant wait to hear what comes next.

The production is good, although I liked SW's more (but then I'm a huge SW fan). Soundwise, the thing that gets me the most is that the guitars don't seem to have the same crunch as before. Listen to, say, the intro of Bleak and then the intro of Baying of the Hounds.

GR has been growing on me a lot though. It'll be a while before I can really get down with Atonement, but we'll see.

harry.ska said:
I would never ever expect something like the fuckin' "Atonement" in an opeth album. What the bloody hell is that song, absolute non-scense.

People are going to get pissed at you if you categorize a song like this. if it's not your cup o' tea then just say you dont dig it. i personally rarely listen to that song, but thats simply because it's kinda hard for me to feel emotionally. however, i feel that it is a great achievement for opeth to make a song such as this.

many people dont dig ghost reveries as much as their other albums, but i feel that you have to respect that album a bit more than the others because of the leaps of progress they took. opeth is going into new territory, and you need to have a complete open mind to accept it. you love albums like still life, but do you really want them to make another still life? it's already there to listen to, be excited for whats to come in the future of opeth.

welcome to the board, sorry for being so hard on you on your first post.

Remember.. Ghost Reveries is a step in an experimental direction. They're experimenting more with different types of sounds, as Atonement and the rest of the album. This is a very different sounding album as compared to any beforehand, not because of the sound quality, but the song writing and such. I find a lot of Ghost Reveries to be more "emotionally" progressive than any other album they have released.

Opeth plays what they want to play, which varies from time to time as we have seen. With influences like Camel, and all the way to the heaviest metal tunes you can hear.

By playing different styles, like Ghost Reveries and Damnation, they are able to reach out to tons more audience, apart from that, they indirectly encourage their fans to be more open minded about different styles of music and metal.

What is there not to really like about Ghost Reveries? Instrumentals are great, progressiveness is incredible, and the sound quality is the best yet, which Mikael agreed to.

Everyone has their own taste for sounds, I'm not arguing, just pointing out some facts.

it's like mike says on the documentary. people always talk shit when they release a new album.
when they release the next album everyone will be like "OMG the enw album fucking sucks!!! it should be more like Ghost Reveries!!! GR is the fucking shioht man."

anyway.
I think Ghost Reveries is a great album. It's just a tad mellow.
I expected it to be REALLY heavy after Damnation being all mellow. But the mellow songs are great.
But there's just three really heavy "regular" Opeth songs imo. Ghost of perdition, baying of the hounds and the grand conjuration (yes i like this song).
The rest are either mellow or kinda experimental.
But they are great sogns.

zzzzzzzz

magic.jpg

creatively and expressively, GR trumps any other Opeth album to date for very very obvious reasons. however MAYH will probably always be my favorite.

edit: and still life is extremely overrated by most of you monkeys.

Personally I think GR is better than anything else they&#180;ve released after SL. And I agree with NFU about the creativeness. GoP alone has more creative stuff going on than the Deliverance album as a whole IMO.

I've been a fan of Opeth for about 5 years now. The reason I started listening to their stuff was because of the way they were palying back then. I love Orchid, M<orningrise, MAYH. I've got to admit that Still Life is probably the greatest progressive album I've ever heard, specialy the song Godhead's Lament.
That was the introduction. Just want to now your idea about the new face of opeth. I'm talking about damnations and ghost reveries. Well, Damnation and Deliverance are great, no doubt about it, but my impression about opeth was totally different. I hope it makes scense, absolutely great pices of work like orchid up until still life (maybe deliverence), and then damnation!!!
I was quite dissapointed when i heared damnation, i agree that its very nice and is full of feelings, but as an opeth album?
Now, My new problem is the Ghost reveries album. I think its the worst theyve ever done. I would never ever expect something like the fuckin' "Atonement" in an opeth album. What the bloody hell is that song, absolute non-scense.
I'm so sad that Martin Lopez left the band. I hanv't heard Axe's druming, (they'll be playing in Portsmouth tomorrow night whach is 50 mins drive from where i live (in England), but i'm going to miss it as i'll be working at that time, quite pissed off about that, anyway). I think Martin Lopez has done a great job.
Cheers, Harry.

This is pretty much my own biography, if you change the "5 years" part to 8.

What's wrong with Atonement?

GR is certainly very mature, but I think that MAYH/SL/BWP are much more intense and this was their best era till now.

Ghost Reveries is home to my #1 all-time favorite song by any band: Ghost of Perdition.

Therefore, I love the album (this coming from a song person and not an album person, as I rarely listen to albums in their entirety in one sitting).

In the album sense, Blackwater Park is tied for my all-time favorite album (tied with Grip Inc - Power of Inner Strength) as I find it most enjoyable from beginiing to end.

Cheers, Harry.

"oh god no opeth are evolving...dont let them...keep them back in the blackwater park days"

so lets see here...you're mad because ghost reveries is different, because you didnt expect a song like Atonement, (which is a great song btw), and because youre worried about axentrot, a very accomplished and talented drummer.

btw, songs like Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds and Isolation years are have more traditional opethian influence than everything in deliverance and damnation combined. quit your whining.

ghost reveries is a very mature release. you claim to be an opeth fan but then tear them down for evolving? fucking brilliant.