Ghost Reveries haters - state your case!

GT2000

May 7, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I'm surprised (and confused) that so many Opeth fans consider Ghost Reveries a disappointment.

Why?

GR got me into Opeth, and I still consider it a classic.
Great songs, excellent production... granted, not their BEST work. It's disjointed, lacks a certain direction, and the fat could use a little trimming.

Curious about your perspective... :kickass:

Ghost Reveries, like any other Opeth album, was fucking great.

I consider myself an Opeth fanatic. I've loved everything they've ever written.

Of course, I like certain songs or albums more than others, but in the end it's all genius in my opinion.

I will say that I like Watershed more than Ghost Reveries. Maybe because it shows that Opeth is still Opeth, and not trying to please a certain group of fans, but Opeth fans in general.

I have absolutely no problems with GR. I love it. :headbang:

I actually played the crap out of it while waiting for Watershed to arrive. While listening to it, I had pretty much the same question: "How the hell can people NOT like this??":erk:

gr ruins, and i think many of the TGC haters just hate it because everyone else does. fuck you all, i love tgc

Okay, I'm not a GR HATER by any means, and I have no problem with GoP, BotH, HoW or IY, but here's why I don't like the rest:

1) BTM: beginning: cheesy and repetitive. middle: way too many simple two chord vamps. keyboard/guitar duo in unison sounds cool but is ultimately pointless. ending: mindless indulgence that's supposed to be experimental but ends up sounding like a less talented Mars Volta.

2)At: horribly dull. The mood is mildly cool, but couldn't the song have gone somewhere?

3)Hf: All the shades of Opeth with none of the soul. Opening couple of minutes sound way too trendy, first death riff sounds like a recycled Still Life bit... acoustic parts actually aren't too bad but still are only a pale reflection of their better mellow moments... heavier sections that follow are too repetitive, and the last couple of minutes are mildly interesting but only serve to further bloat an already ridiculuously bloated monstrosity.

4)TGC: The main riff is just repeated too many damn times, both at the beginning and end. The syncopated chugga chug riff is okay but many other bands do this sort of thing much better. I do like the middle when it starts to develop a little bit, but these parts are ruined by the monotony that bookends them.

Having said all that, the rest of the songs kick ass! :headbang:

You said it, brother...

The frustration is trying to turn new people onto Opeth, and NEVER having success! The growl thing is such a killer... Oh well, most people are idiots by design... :Smug:

Fucking exactly lol.

I can at least get most people to enjoy Damnation...
Typical convo of me introducing someone to Opeth

Me: So what did you think?
Them: What ARE these demonic noises coming from my speakorz!?
Me: Those would be deth rawrs.
Them: Well I no liek!
Me: :( but Opeth are gud!
Them: NO WAY THEY NO GOOD LISTEN TO PARAMORE!
Me: (hunts down and kills person)

Too god damn repetitive, there are several other threads discussing this, the search function could be helpful to you.

Okay, I'm not a GR HATER by any means, and I have no problem with GoP, BotH, HoW or IY, but here's why I don't like the rest:

1) BTM: beginning: cheesy and repetitive. middle: way too many simple two chord vamps. keyboard/guitar duo in unison sounds cool but is ultimately pointless. ending: mindless indulgence that's supposed to be experimental but ends up sounding like a less talented Mars Volta.

2)At: horribly dull. The mood is mildly cool, but couldn't the song have gone somewhere?

3)Hf: All the shades of Opeth with none of the soul. Opening couple of minutes sound way too trendy, first death riff sounds like a recycled Still Life bit... acoustic parts actually aren't too bad but still are only a pale reflection of their better mellow moments... heavier sections that follow are too repetitive, and the last couple of minutes are mildly interesting but only serve to further bloat an already ridiculuously bloated monstrosity.

4)TGC: The main riff is just repeated too many damn times, both at the beginning and end. The syncopated chugga chug riff is okay but many other bands do this sort of thing much better. I do like the middle when it starts to develop a little bit, but these parts are ruined by the monotony that bookends them.

Having said all that, the rest of the songs kick ass! :headbang:

i think mire is good and its ending desolates