Ghost Reveries - I don't think it should be written off entirely

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
A few thoughts:

1 - If you accept that this is a prog album (with a few death elements thrown in), then it's very good for what it is. Right about now, Opeth don't sit miles away from Wolverine, Devin Townsend, or even Orphaned Land. Sure, the same could be said for their previous recent efforts (BWP & Deliverance) but GR has even less death metal offerings, in case you hadn't noticed. :p

2 - It came out at the wrong time. Have you noticed that this isn't really a "winter" listening album? These days, people may be in the mood for arctic grim winterfrost BM, and yet GR has a very laid back approach. This is the sort of album I could listen to on a Summer's day Sunday. I would love to revist this album in the late spring...back to back with some Witchcraft.

3 - Approximately half the album can be written off as dud material, or "throwaway". To be precise: "Atonement", "Hours of Wealth", "Grand Conjuration", and "Isolation Years" are all MISS. The rest of the album, IMO, is HIT.

4 - "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" ends on a similar repetitive riff structure to that which closed out "Deliverance" (the song).....EXCEPT it sounds like they smoked a big bag of weed and just laid it back to the groove. I f'ing LOVE IT.

Overall, the album scores 7/10.

(I do think that the better material on this album is an improvement over BWP but it's just not as consistent overall. But let's face it: out of 8 songs, 4 of them are weak. I would have scored this 5/10 if it wasn't for the fact that the good songs are actually quite brilliant).

Actually, I just listened to this album twice or thrice before writing it off. Odd, concerning how I actually was on a huge Opeth-loving-trip only a year and a half ago.

I'll give this another spin!

I actually DO think this album is quite fine, and there's some great moments on there.

However, I have trouble enjoying the album as a whole, and I pin most (if not all) of that blame on The Grand Conjuration. It just feels pointless, the song is boring. It's like they said "hey guys there's not enough heavy on this album" and just tossed out a long filler track to make up for it. Nothing else strikes me as being filler on there (except maybe those short filler tracks <_< >_> ), so the placement of that song completely disrupts my entire listening flow and enjoyment of the album. So I don't really know how to rate it. I do admit though the first half of the album I love. It just doesn't feel that well thought out overall, from the perspective of the whole album experience.

edit: hahaha and THEN i read your review, and yeah, basically the same things.

JayKeeley said:
A few thoughts:

1 - If you accept that this is a prog album (with a few death elements thrown in), then it's very good for what it is. Right about now, Opeth don't sit miles away from Wolverine, Devin Townsend, or even Orphaned Land. Sure, the same could be said for their previous recent efforts (BWP & Deliverance) but GR has even less death metal offerings, in case you hadn't noticed. :p
Entirely agree.

2 - It came out at the wrong time. Have you noticed that this isn't really a "winter" listening album? These days, people may be in the mood for arctic grim winterfrost BM, and yet GR has a very laid back approach. This is the sort of album I could listen to on a Summer's day Sunday. I would love to revist this album in the late spring...back to back with some Witchcraft.
Not really, this is your perception. I personnaly enjoy the album whether it's winter or not.

3 - Approximately half the album can be written off as dud material, or "throwaway". To be precise: "Atonement", "Hours of Wealth", "Grand Conjuration", and "Isolation Years" are all MISS. The rest of the album, IMO, is HIT.
Again, only your perception. IMO, Hours of Wealth and Isolation years are the strongest mellow songs even written by Opeth. The Grand Conjuration is one of my favorite on the album.

overall, the album scores 7/10.
#1 album of the year for me. 9,2/10

i've listened to my illegally downloaded copy but once, and i quite liked it. am waiting until i pick up a proper copy.

Sadguru said:
Not really, this is your perception.

Again, only your perception.

Well of course, what else is there?

I personnaly enjoy the album whether it's winter or not.

Yeah, I think generally speaking, the seasons affect the way I listen to music....actually, the more I think about it, I can probably narrow it down to time of day too.

IMO, Hours of Wealth and Isolation years are the strongest mellow songs even written by Opeth. The Grand Conjuration is one of my favorite on the album.

Great, but you have to admit, this album has been received quite poorly in general - hence the reason for this thread. Some people are saying it's the worst Opeth album yet (even worse than Damnation) and writing it off already, so I'm just trying to save it's grace somewhat.

#1 album of the year for me. 9,2/10

9.2? Why not 9.243? :loco:

JayKeeley said:
I can probably narrow it down to time of day too.

While I've never heard ANY opeth (yea yea, it's on the fucking list) I can agree with this for sure. When I wake up I want death/thrash metal, but as the day wears on I move on to doom in the afternoon, black in the evening and nice mellow shit before bed.

I think it's right beneath Still Life in terms of goodness. But then again, I'm a proghead and like this sort of thing. The only track that sucks is definitely "The Grand Conjuration"... boring riff repeated way too many times = suck.

8/10

Great, but you have to admit, this album has been received quite poorly in general - hence the reason for this thread. Some people are saying it's the worst Opeth album yet (even worse than Damnation) and writing it off already, so I'm just trying to save it's grace somewhat.

What? On ultimate metal forums, you're right and it's not hard to understand why but in general? Certainly not.

4.5/5 stars: (Amazon, based on 124 reviews)
9/10: (chroniclesofchaos)
90/100: (obskure)
9.5/10: (progarchive)
9.75/10: (ultimatemetal)
9/10: (rocksound)
9/10: (metalobserver)
Kerrang: "Best band on the planet? Best album ever? A resounding 'yes' to both."

...and believe me, the list goes on and on.

9.2? Why not 9.243? :loco:
9.1 was not enough. 9.3 was too much. Now that I think about it, 9.243 would be more appropriated. :p

i'm a big opeth fan but i agree with much of jk's assessment...they're definitely incorporating fewer DM elements these days (not necessarily a bad thing to me either), and i'm in total agreement with the seasonal feeling of it; definitely more of a warm-weather sounding album.

however your last 2 points i have to disagree...the only song i find to be distractingly weak is the grand conjuration (ok at best), and when i heard the ending to reverie/harlequin forest the first thing i thought was "man, sounds like they're ripping off their own song but it's not as good" :p

The only place where I've seen widespread Opeth slagging is within the elitist backlash that's become so pervasive in metal forums...I've seen people say it's better than any of the SW-produced albums all the time. I don't know why you're so down on the non-metal tracks, although I'll admit that Hours Of Wealth doesn't really go anywhere...I personally love Atonement. As for The Grand Conjuration, it was tolerable live, but it's easily my least favorite Opeth track to date.
As for the seasonal thing, this is definitely more of a spring/summer album than I'm used to from Opeth, especially on Harlequin's midsection...

not sure where you guys are getting the negative press. the official opeth forum pretty much burned me at the stake for posting a negative review. then again, that place is a joke. but, seriously, ive never seen anything but positive for this album.
that said, ive listened to it a million times and it's just not very good. i went through a phase where i thought it was great but its novelty wore off and i started to feel more and more like i had been bamboozled. the album is pretty shitty actually.
i stand by my conviction that opeth dont care too much about music anymore and i dont expect many more offerings from them.
but, whatever.

Sadguru said:
Kerrang: "Best band on the planet? Best album ever? A resounding 'yes' to both."
god dammit i hate Kerrang. how could you possible take a 2 month old album and call it the "best ever," or more importantly, how can ANYONE take a publication that would print such a thing seriously!??!?! NUKE THE WHALES!!!

drunken 5 year old said:
god dammit i hate Kerrang. how could you possible take a 2 month old album and call it the "best ever," or more importantly, how can ANYONE take a publication that would print such a thing seriously!??!?! NUKE THE WHALES!!!

LOFL

Kerrang said it was the best album ever? Like ever ever?

LOFL

JayKeeley said:
...out of 8 songs, 4 of them are weak. I would have scored this 5/10 if it wasn't for the fact that the good songs are actually quite brilliant).
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. There are moments on this CD that are simply brilliant. There's a maturity to their songwriting, a sophistication, that at times is just mind-blowing. Some of their transitions are so seemless and fluid, it's hard not to be "wowed" by them. However, some of the tracks are just pointless and unimaginative. "The Grand Conjuration" is just terrible. Though to be fair, I think it annoys me so much because every time I watch/fast-forward through the Headbanger's Ball or Metal Asylum, it's always on.

By the way, I quite like the direction Opeth is heading in, I'd just like to see a more consistent effort. I think these guys still have a deep well to draw from.

Zod

opeth are on headbangers ball? i havent seen them yet but i dont watch it every week.
there are some shit shit bands on that show btw. kinda makes me sad that opeth would be on there. good for them though. if thats what they wanted