Ghost Reveries - I don't think it should be written off entirely

that sounds about right. i find myself changing the channel alot during that program.
btw: i dont have cable. i have yet to figure out how i get mtv2.

Funny, the cover of the Opeth album made me think Winter. But I get a summer vibe out of it as well. So much for fitting imagery.

"Ghost of Perdiiton" only clicked during this soft little jazzy lead break before the song gets heavy again. Can't be arsed to find the track time, but fans should get what I mean. "Grand Conjuration" is fodder, of course. "Baying of the Hounds" is nice, as is "Harlequin Forest." I might grab a legal copy.

The new video is fucking terrible and the song is shortened. They took the worst song on the album and made it even worse. COOL.

7.8/10 album. The only Opeth albums I give a fuck about these days are "Orchid" or MAYH.

i'm listening to reverie/harlequin forest, and that riff from about 7:20-8:10 is so killer, but the one after it sounds like "standard opeth riff in slo-mo" :erk:

cthulufhtagn said:
but the one after it sounds like "standard opeth riff in slo-mo" :erk:

Yes, the outro riff sounds like the outro riff from "Deliverance", except they first smoked a bag of weed and took a hit from the bong.

The only Opeth album that I'm not very fond of is Blackwater Park. Deliverance and Damnation are both good, but sometimes feel unfocused, like there could be more. Ghost Reveries is the pure gold strike that sums up what all three of those albums could have been.

I agree that "The Grand Conjuration" isn't very good and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album AT ALL, but so much of this stuff is so amazing, that it more than makes up for it. I'm also kind of baffled that people are writing off "Atonement" and "Hours of Wealth." Fuck me, those are two of my favorite Opeth tracks ever, especially "Atonement." Seriously, the feeling that song gives me is why I listen to music. The intro to "Beneath the Mire" is what started to shake my doubts from this album upon first listen, it's funky as hell and I love it. "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" is also stunning.

This is such a hippy album. It's not really that metal and yet, it sounds better than just about anything Opeth have produced. A couple of my friend's and I threw on the album, turned down the lights, they smoked some cigars and in the middle of the night, it was an intoxicating experience. I think Opeth are really getting to the point where they are perfecting their craft. Orchid and Morningrise, MAYH and Still Life are all amazing in their own way and I guess more than anything they all mark milestones in Opeth's development and Ghost Reveries is another one to add on. This is the album that should have followed Still Life.

Also, as great as Mike's death vocals are, I find that I continue to enjoy the fact that Opeth is moving away from their use and with that, the use of heavier music. They are a prog band at their roots and they're showing it now more than ever and I can only guess at how the next album will take it a step further. I think we all expected a BWP/D&D re-hash, something with that same sound, but this album came completely out of left field and after a little initial disappointment, I love it. Mike's clean vocals are great, tracks like "Atonement" are too majestic for words and "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" is some of the best work they've done.

Anyway, that's my take, but I suppose I shouldn't write another review.:loco:

Opeth17 said:
A couple of my friend's and I threw on the album, turned down the lights, they smoked some cigars and in the middle of the night, it was an intoxicating experience.

I hope these friends were chicks. :tickled:

i dip my cigars in brandy!

link.brandy.norwood.jpg