glam metal!

by the way, how come noone mentioned Stryper so far? The music's rather more than decent, and the lyrics add another dimension of hilariousity.

Stryper definitely was underrated as far as musicianship. Maybe the fact they were Christian turned many people off, but I felt Oz Fox and Michael Sweet were fantastic. Oz was a VERY underrated guitarist and Michael had an absolutely outstanding voice.

Bryant

There was a lot of shallow radio friendly lyrics in the glam genre but if you look past the hits there was some very solid penmanship by the artists of the day too. Of course 80s glam is my thing so I'll defend even the radio friendly good fun stuff too :)

The popular 80's metal was fun. Yeah certainly some of it was cheesy and downright embarrassing, but music is supposed to be fun. Like most other metal-heads (I think this is safe to say) I absolutely hate rap. However, not all early-mid-80's rap was bad Beastie Boys and Run DMC. I like some of their stuff because they were fun. They weren't waving pistols upside down and talking about killing people.
I'm not trying to change the subject here, but in the 80's, a lot of music (not just glam metal, really) was all about partying and having fun. It made the music more "fun" if you will.

Bryant

I agree that a lot of the music in the 80's was about having fun. I like a lot of the glam rock/metal bands including originators like T-Rex,Sweet,David Bowie,New York Dolls and early Roxy Music with Brian Eno and some of Eno's solo stuff.

regarding Stryper; Yellow and Black Attack and Soldiers Under Commabnd have quite a few heavy songs-which I like more than just the radio hits

Wasp, Quiet riot and Twisted sister are among my favourite bands, but I don't consider them glam.

Maybe you don't consider Twisted Sister glam, but they did wear outrageous makeup and clothes etc. Anyway, besides that, "The Price" was one of the best "power ballads" in my ears from the 80's. That is because Dee really took it seriously. Much like Blackie Lawless, when Snider really wanted to sing well, he was fantastic. It is actually ashamed that he doesn't really get more kudos for his singing, but then again, I feel they were more style than substance, even though the talent was there.

Bryant

While I personally don't consider them glam (nor would most self-respecting metal-heads) but the general public may think of Tesla as glam. Of ANY band considered glam, I can't think of a release better than Mechanical Resonance.
It is one of those "stranded on a desert island and you have 10 discs to choose from" releases. EVERY song kicks ass, especially the ones that actually weren't hits like "Before My Eyes" and "Changes."

Bryant

Maybe you don't consider Twisted Sister glam, but they did wear outrageous makeup and clothes etc. Anyway, besides that, "The Price" was one of the best "power ballads" in my ears from the 80's. That is because Dee really took it seriously. Much like Blackie Lawless, when Snider really wanted to sing well, he was fantastic. It is actually ashamed that he doesn't really get more kudos for his singing, but then again, I feel they were more style than substance, even though the talent was there.

Bryant

Well I don't really like to put every band under a genre/category because I believe that every band should have it's own style and not trying to be like someone else. I think Twisted Sister is one of the bands that followed their own style and did not jump into the 'glam wagon' like many others did in late 80's.

Also many people seem to have different opinions to what "glam-hair metal" stands for. Some people categorise bands just from their appearance which is terribly wrong in my opinion. For example both WASP and Poison wore make up, hairspray and tight leather pants. Many people say that both bands are glam but they sound nothing alike at all

Sad news, but it seems Ratt are disbanding for good this time. Pearcy left the band (probably for good this time, and had a "legal fight" with blotzer).

Anyways, Dave leppard or Simon Cruz?

I really like Icon and Vinnie Vincent. White Lion as well. Vito was a genius indeed.

ICON was awesome. Their "night of the crime" (is that right?) album was sick! I liked the Vinnie Vincent Invasion with Mark Slaughter. When Mark formed the band Slaughter, I felt some songs were good and there was more filler.

I also like Firehouse. Big Motley fan, Twisted Sister, sometimes WASP, and def. Skid Row

Love Glam Metal! big fan of a band called Treat, also like Reckless Love, Tyketto, Cinderella, Def Leppard and Ratt! I think it's got something to do with the drum tone in the style of music and the feel good factor of the music.