GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 2003

I think I've deduced what the next year is. It is indeed a pretty bonkers one, and it's not an 80s year.

5) Forgotten Legends by Drudkh
Every winter there's a different sky...

R-743034-1335613497.jpeg.jpg

"Forgotten Legends is the best thing they've done. Don't let people tell you Autumn Aurora is better. It's not. FL compares very favorably with anything from Burzum. The songs resolve strongly here, namely Forests in Fire and Gold, their best composition. Drudkh does a good job of pacing and varying drum beats; better than most bands of the style." - @MasterOLightning

Chosen by:
EspaDa (#1)
Krow (#2)
crimsonfloyd (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#5)
Funerary_Doom (#6)
Vilden (#10)
H.P. Lovecraft (n/a)

that album's solid but yeah drudkh were kind of the catalyst for AtmoShit (as hbb calls it) beginning to dominate the genre, or so it seemed to me.

I don't think I've ever seen that album cover. Nor have I that Nocternity album. You know a year sux when third-rate Drudkh makes it into the top 5.

EDIT: Wait a sec, that's just a lesser-used cover apparently, lolnvm.

4) Inheritance of Evilness by Hail
On the walls of the hall are hanging bodies of shredded untermensch!

a1890160754_10.jpg

"First of all, an easy way to tell that this album is awesome is that HamburgerBoy probably thinks that it has no riffs and that every song is the same tempo for its entire duration. If you actually listen to the album, you'll see that neither of these things are accurate. While the pure Varathron and Beherit worship on offer here will probably offend people who think Agalloch and Deafheaven are amazing bands, this album does a great job honoring 1990s black metal bands. The songs all unfold in an interesting way and the sloppy musicianship is all part of the fun. You either get it or you don't. For the record, this is my pick for the best black metal album of the 2000s." - @Omni

Chosen by:
Slayed Necros (#1)
Anom@nder Rake (#1)
Master_Yoda77 (#2)
Mort Divine (#3)
no country for old wainds (#5)

Phylactery (n/a)

3) Harbinger of Metal by Reverend Bizarre
Run by my side in search of distant light...

REVEREND%20BIZARRE%20-%20Harbinger%20Of%20Metal.jpg

"Fans of Reverend Bizarre are sure to love this recording as it showcases individual members' talents and the music has plenty of crunchy texture, grit, muscle and steel. It's amazing how the singing veers almost close to the theatrical and campy without ever falling into embarrassing kitsch. Those not so familiar with the band might want to try some of the guys' shorter recordings first as appetisers. "Harbinger of Metal" should be treated as the main course." - NausikaDalazBlindaz, Metal Archives

Chosen by:
CASSETTEISGOD (#2)
Mort Divine (#2)
Vilden (#3)
Master_Yoda77 (#3)
Krow (#3)
rms (#9)
H.P. Lovecraft (n/a)

Reactions: CiG
I love Harbinger of Metal so much. It's so preposterous that it's considered an EP when it's pretty much longer than Anal Cunt's entire discography combined. :rofl:

2) Of Empires Forlorn by While Heaven Wept
I am so far from the light and warmth of Heaven...

3008086431_2_3_ynZIQsh9.jpg

"I understand what they're attempting, but they fail so badly at it that all the songs somehow come out sounding like Phil Collins and Journey covers. "Of Empires Forlorn" is a travesty." - Jean-Pierre (of Borrowed Time)

"Of Empires Forlorn is imo one of the best epic doom metal albums ever, pretty much only Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Will of the Gods is Great Power that are better." - @Vilden

"While Heaven Wept is vile, saccharine crap. I'm amazed that such credible people as you and Rich Walker actually pay credence to these compositionally incompetent musicians." - Dodens Grav

"I own Of Empires Forlorn and think it's one of the coolest, most epic doom records I've ever heard." @Einherjar86

"Shit son you probably listen to flowery pompous bullshit like Of Empires Forlorn don't you" @LuminousAether

Chosen by:
Vilden (#2)
rms (#2)

CASSETTEISGOD (#5)
Krow (#5)
Serjeant Grumbles (#5)
Master_Yoda77 (#8)
Vegard Pompey (#9)
H.P. Lovecraft (n/a)
Phylactery (n/a)

1) Traveller by The Lord Weird Slough Feg

You thought you'd conquered space, but now your reign is through!

_c904142_image_0.jpg

"Traveller is the best! All who don't believe Traveller is the greatest album that Slough Feg has ever done shall die before thy almighty Odin the greatest false god to ever live! He shall slice you all who didn't vote for Traveller into pieces fore Odin ownz you all!!!!" - @BlueJay

"Personally: Traveller. Not quite the folky style they had going in previous albums, but interstellar space dogs is the greatest concept of all time, and the music fucking rules." - @Nico

Chosen by:

CASSETTEISGOD (#1)
Mort Divine (#1)
no country for old wainds (#1)
Krow (#1)
Master_Yoda77 (#1)

HamburgerBoy (#2)
Vegard Pompey (#2)
alex76 (#3)
Slayed Necros (#4)
rms (#4)
Anom@nder Rake (#4)
Vilden (#5)
TechnicalBarbarity (#6)
-CyanideChrist- (#8)
Talos of Atmora (#10)
H.P. Lovecraft (n/a)
Phylactery (n/a)

Holy shit, this year's top 10 was abysmal. I still have to listen to a few of them, but I just listened to that Doomsword record (#7) twice, and how did such a mediocre album beat out some legendary albums of this year? It wasn't bad or anything, just completely meh.

No Runemagick, no Blut Aus Nord, no Crimson II. Is this why Bitencourt left the forums?

Holy shit, this year's top 10 was abysmal. I still have to listen to a few of them, but I just listened to that Doomsword record (#7) twice, and how did such a mediocre album beat out some legendary albums of this year? It wasn't bad or anything, just completely meh.

No Runemagick, no Blut Aus Nord, no Crimson II. Is this why Bitencourt left the forums?

Man only that BAN album is even worthy of being mentioned. No one cares about Runemagick's 4th best album or that fucking turd Crimson II.