GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1981

another meh year. not enough releases to even make it interesting =/

Mort will probably say you're wrong and mention some saccharine post new wave group that had the most interesting release of the 80's and then somehow shoehorn in a reference to Carly Rae Jepsen

This isn't a particularly great year - the limited amount of actual metal albums means that there won't be many surprises here. Still some good stuff, of course

Surprised to see Point of Entry making lists, not sure if that's indication of its quality or simply because there aren't that many releases to pick from. I don't remember it being particularly great, but I'll be sure to give it a relisten.

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Venom - Welcome To Hell
Motörhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith (positively appalled this isn't on more lists)
Iron Maiden - Killers
Accept - Breaker
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Mötley Crüe - Too Fast For Love
Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
Riot - Fire Down Under
Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
Demon - Night of the Demon
Judas Priest - Point of Entry
Budgie - Nightflight
Dokken - Breaking The Chains
Samson - Shock Tactics
Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Loudness - The Birthday Eve
Girlschool - Hit and Run
KISS - Music From "The Elder"
Tygers of Pan Tang - Crazy Nights
Blue Öyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin
Electric Sun - Fire Wind
Metal Church - Red Skies EP
Heavy Load - Metal Conquest EP
Praying Mantis - Time Tells No Lies

Yeah tbh this is a year where, aside from my top 3 or so metal albums, I actually think I prefer the non-metal output to the metal output. Only a Lad, Living in Darkness, Dark Continent, Prayers on Fire, Deceit, Discipline, plenty of great stuff in the new wave and more experimental punk(-ish) realms. 17 of my top 24 albums on RYM (all 3.5s and above) for the year are non-metal.

Surprised to see Point of Entry making lists, not sure if that's indication of its quality or simply because there aren't that many releases to pick from. I don't remember it being particularly great, but I'll be sure to give it a relisten.

Point of Entry is a work of highest art.