GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

its okay, that just means you're wrong. Look, im not saying which of the two is a better album or what not ... and clearly some of you(yoda) dont understand this as evident from the responses. But saying it's darker or has more atmosphere is just wrong on every possible level. It's not something that should even be up for debate quite honestly.

Atmospheric is not even a word i would use to describe Slumber, and that's not a knock at all really. Its just a so by-the-books dm album that it would be impossible to refer to it as a such. Psychostatsia on the other is an album that is just dripping atmosphere, more in line with Demelich and Rippikoulu rather than the more streamlined sound of Demigod. Those three bands share much more in common than any of them do with Demigod, which sounds more like a hybrid of floridian death metal and swedish dm.

me: saying which album is darker and more atmospheric(pointing out the facts)
you guys: "But i like Slumber more."

:lol: ok.

You do see the irony there, right?

I understand what you are saying and I think you are wrong in thinking that way. Why does everything have to be an argument with you?

The big black metal bands had moved on to more experimental stuff, with the other black metal bands in tow. Nu-metal was making its debut. Some alt-metal was in fashion. Your more standard metal bands didn't know what the fuck to do at this point.

1. Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
2. Carcass - Swansong
3. Immolation - Here in After
4. Psychotic Waltz - Bleeding
5. Brutality - In Mourning
6. Bathory - Blood on Ice
7. Mystifier - The World Is So Good That Who Made It Doesn't Live Here
8. In Flames - The Jester Race
9. Cryptopsy - None So Vile
10. Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers
James Murphy - Convergence
Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood
Adramelech - Psychostasia

Last edited:
While The Dark Saga is one of the weakest albums during Iced Earth's prime era, it still has lots of good stuff in it. As for Carcass, Steer's lead guitar work here still blows almost everyone/everything else away.