GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

I thought this was going to be open until the end of the weekend, but if you're planning on doing the results on Friday I will try and get my votes on tomorrow.

I have no real proof of anything, but I imagine this was around the time I started moving away from technical death metal in general. There is a lot of it I used to like that I can't be bothered with anymore.

Yeah, and it appears you moved away from tech-death not long after joining this forum. Pure coincidence, surely.

Yeah, and it appears you moved away from tech-death not long after joining this forum. Pure coincidence, surely.

For the entire first year I was on UM, my top artists were Pain of Salvation, Agalloch, Grave Digger, Kamelot, dredg, Diabolical Masquerade, Elvenking, Belenos, Acid Bath, and AFI.

Total in crowd darlings those lot are.

Yeah and I remember giving you shit about Pain of Salvation, along with others probably. You've outgrown that stuff. Now you're a mature adult with mature adult tastes. I'm so proud of you.

Early Cryptopsy rules and anybody writing them off without at least checking that stuff out is a fucking retard, but my God never has a good band fallen off so hard as they did.

The discussion inspired me to listen to their S/T again last night, still an OK album. Queensryche shat the bed much more furiously; I'd probably take The Unspoken King over Operation: Mindcrime II or the shit that came after (with Tate still in the band).

1. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun (not many years where this wouldn't be my number one to be honest).
2. Burzum - Filosofem
3. Summoning - Dol Guldur
4. Immolation - Here in After
5. Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
6. Crimson Relic - Purgatory's Reign
7. Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
8. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I - Fathers of the Icy Age
9. Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
10. Argentum - Ad Interitum Funebrarum

Honourable mentions:

Nefandus - The Nightwinds Carried Our Names
The Chasm - From the Lost Years
Adramelech - Psychostasia
Opeth - Morningrise
Dawn - Sorgh på svarte vingar fløgh
Setherial - Nord
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry

Black metal owned the shit out of this year. Hardest one for me so far, the ordering was tough and I'm still not convinced I have it correct but whatever. I really want to get Vinterland into my top 10 but I'm struggling.

Edit: Took out Moonblood as apparently it wasn't released in 1996 and added Vinterland into the top 10.

Last edited: