GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

Well, in fairness not a single in-crowd representative included it in their top 10 here, but I don't really remember anyone hating on it. Looks like I might be wrong. Apparently Mort Divine liked Cryptopsy until Dodens told him not to in 2006, then a year later he finds Cryptopsy totally boring apparently. Manic Ferocity made a couple posts calling them extremely boring in 2010. Omni never mentioned them. no wainds was shitting all over them in 2003 before Dodens even got on board, hot damn.

Production is dissonant and shrill, it's also replete with earsplitting treble spikes. There's an annoying amount of bass slapping. Vocals are decent, talent is displayed at times but the performance is generic overall. They'd be acceptable if the music was better. Songs are devoid of structure and direction. Tempo changes are inexplicable, they exist merely for the sake of it. Drumming is the standard blast-fill, sure it's done capably but who really cares? The release is energetic, but it grates on the listener's nerves over an extended period of time.

I'm definitely unlike any of them, so I'd appreciate it if you stopped lumping me in with them.
Ungentle Exhumation was one of the first metal CDs I ever purchased, Cryptopsy fucking rule.

1. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
  2. Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio
  3. Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear
  4. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
  5. Scald - Will of the Gods Is a Great Power
  6. Therion - Theli
  7. Thy Serpent - Forests of Witchery
  8. Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy
  9. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
  10. Burzum - Filosofem

Honourable Mention
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vik
Lunar Aurora - Weltengänger
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age
Tristitia - Crucidiction
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Moonspell - Irreligious
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Sirrah - Acme

tumblr_mtc7kfdzOR1rlkewbo1_500.png

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Apparently Mort Divine liked Cryptopsy until Dodens told him not to in 2006, then a year later he finds Cryptopsy totally boring apparently

I have no real proof of anything, but I imagine this was around the time I started moving away from technical death metal in general. There is a lot of it I used to like that I can't be bothered with anymore.

I have no real proof of anything

Except for a forum search amirite?

July 27, 2006:

http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/recommendations-thread.284185/page-122#post-5169601

I can't quote from that thread apparently because it's closed.

July 3, 2007:

Yeah, but Flo gets boring as shit. Tomás is always doing these cool little fills and shit that keep the drumming interesting. Seriously half the time I'm listening to Elvenefris I'm paying attention to the drum work - however whenever I try to do the same with Cryptopsy I'm just bored as all fuck. Not that I can ever listen to Cryptopsy without drifting off anyways.