GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1999

We have done worse years than both of these imo. 2008 is a good year, 1999 is even better.

The late 90s are heavily in favour of black metal, through. So if you’re not huge on that genre then I can see why those years wouldn’t appeal to you as much.

It was discussed in the 1998 thread and was conluded it’s a 1999 release. Although it still seemed to be up on the air. I don’t recall anyone listing it in that thread so it should definitely be regarded as a 1999 release for the purposes of these threads.

I'm still working on mine. This year might actually be the worst one yet, which is surprising considering it's still a 90's year. So far I only have 2 albums I'd consider "great". The rest are just "meh".

1)Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
2) Bal-Sagoth - The Power Cosmic
3) Cannibal Corpse - Bloodthirst
4) Immolation - Failures for Gods
5) Witchery - Dead, Hot, and Ready
6) Sodom - Code Red
7) Godflesh - Us and Them
8) Type O Negative - World Coming Down
9) Amon Amarth - Avenger
10) God Dethroned - Bloody Blasphemy

I’m tentatively going to set the deadline for this for this Sunday. Get your lists in by then! I’d like at least another 5. Get on it!

I got my 10 ordered. I'll probably only have one release in the final 10 because I'm a basic metal fan for this particular year apparently..

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure! The lists are quite diverse so far. This is gonna be another horrible one to do due to so many releases being listed.

A rather weak year for me. It took me a while to find another three albums to put together at least a top 5.

1. Madder Mortem - Mercury
2. Dreams of Sanity - Masquerade
3. Artrosis - Hidden Dimension
4. Soul Cages - Craft
5. Candlemass - From the 13th Sun

1. Opeth - Still Life
2. Agalloch - Pale Folklore
3. Judas Iscariot - Heaven in Flames
4. Paysage d'Hiver - s/t
5. Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead Cursed Soul
6. Windir - Arntor
7. Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
8. Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
9. Dornenreich - Bitter ist's dem Tod zu dienen
10. Runemagick - Enter the Realm of Death

Hmm. Weird looking list. Melodic proggy stuff vs raw black metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimsonfloyd