GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually beginning to prefer doing years like this. Much more variation in peoples' lists, no real clear candidates for the top five (I thought Immolation would be a shoo-in, but I'm the only person that has listed them so far) and a greater chance that people will discover new music.

Reactions: rms and CiG
Primordial has my #1 spot this year easily, but have to really sort out the rest. Really good year though.

Elvenefris seems to be one of those albums that's highly rated by some and then underrated by the underground backlash. I haven't listened to it in years but I remember it being decent.

Elvenefris used to be one of my favorite albums when I was a metal neophyte. I will have to check it out again and see how it holds up today.

Speaking of albums no one is listing, why the hell isn't THIS on anyone's list??

s-l1000.jpg

Checked out that Symphony X album today. That band is fucking garbage. Russell Allen needs to just stick with Adrenaline Mob since that's way better.

Oracle Moon is really impressive; kind of got overlooked at the time but the consensus seems to have righted itself.

2000 was an utterly ridiculous year. Not only was the music brilliant, but on a personal level I was two or three years into getting myself reacquainted with metal after having abandoned it for most of the 90s. Right as I was figuring out which bands were my favorites, those bands were putting out some of the most powerful and interesting music not just of their careers but of metal historically. I even love all the whacked out studio production that was happening as artists were sort of flailing around in search of new directions and sounds. I can understand why so many longtime metalheads were sort of horrified or at least disappointed by the way things were shaping up, though.

Still fiddling with my ballot. Christ I was up to forty or so before I got to the questionable stuff. Insane.

Mardraum is firmly at #1 however. One of the most massive works of all time.

Might end up changing it before I'm done because I see some stuff I want to check out posted here.

1. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
2. Enslaved - Mardraum: Beyond the Within
3. Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
4. Mortuary Drape - Tolling 13 Knell
5. Nunslaughter - Hells Unholy Fire
6. Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
7. Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
8. The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld
9. Immolation - Close to a World Below
10. Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame

1. Enslaved - Mardraum: Beyond the Within
2. Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
3. Destroyer666 - Phoenix Rising
4. Borknagar - Quintessence
5. Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
6. Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War
7. Immolation - Close to a World Below
8. Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation
9. The Chasm - Procession to the Infra-World
10. Rotting Christ - Khronos

Very Fucking Honorable Mentions:

Weakling - Dead as Dreams
Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
Incantation - The Infernal Storm
Devin Townsend - Physicist
Myrkskog - Deathmachine
Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan
Cryptopsy - And Then You'll Beg
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
Garden of Shadows - Oracle Moon
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Immortal - Damned in Black
Behemoth - Thelema.6
Nocturnus - Ethereal Tomb
In Flames - Clayman
Tormentor - Recipe Ferrum
Nasum - Human 2.0
Impaled - The Dead Shall Dead Remain
The Crown - Deathrace King
The Ravenous - Assembled in Blasphemy
Luddite Clone - The Arsonist and the Architect EP
Luddite Clone/Burnt by the Sun split
Cephalic Carnage - Exploiting Dysfunction
Lost Soul - Scream of the Mourning Star
Origin - Origin
Yattering - Murder's Concept
Lengsel - Solace
Dominion Caligula - A New Era Rises

Honestly with the exception of Mardraum and Sceptic's, which are on a level beyond this mortal realm, my ballot could be shuffled any which way. Even the first dozen or so of my honorables could be swapped into the tail end of that top 10. Granted there's been some amazing metal coming out over the last fifteen or so years, but there was something about that late 90s/early 00s mini-era that had so much promise and momentum. We've pretty much been in the Great Looking Backwards Interregnum ever since the backlash to that stuff began. (Not that there's been a lack of brilliant traditional death and black metal over that decade and a half; I just miss that turn of the millennium naivete and lack of self-consciousness.)

As usual, may change some, but top 3 is probably rock solid. Fuck you Graveland haters, Creed of Iron is one of Darkens best!

1. Graveland - Creed of Iron
2. Quicksand Dream - Aelin - A Story About Destiny
3. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
4. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
5. Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
6. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
7. Thunderstorm - Sad Symphony
8. Wolf - Wolf
9. Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus Act II
10. Craft - Total Soul Rape

Som HMs:

Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred