GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2004

Tbh I need to revise my list. I didn’t see a lot of shit on that RYM list and may remove Mastodon entirely because I hadn’t heard that album for a while and turned it off fairly quickly earlier today.

Wasn't that band a lampoon of black metal created by a guy who wanted to milk money from people to buy drugs? I also heard he ripped off a bunch of other bands or something.

I just realized that after doing '94, and now '04, we've filled out our first triad (1984,1994,2004). NB: 2014 does not count because that's expansion pack material from an unfinished decade.

Reactions: CiG
Wasn't that band a lampoon of black metal created by a guy who wanted to milk money from people to buy drugs? I also heard he ripped off a bunch of other bands or something.

they have a bunch of obnoxious gimmicks, but the original music is otherworldly. There are plenty of other artists who make amazing music that blow their wad on drugs anyway.

they have a bunch of obnoxious gimmicks, but the original music is otherworldly. There are plenty of other artists who make amazing music that blow their wad on drugs anyway.

Oh I have nothing against blowing your money on drugs, but creating a fake band to leech money from a rabidly dedicated crowd of music collectors is pretty low. Though, fart-sniffing black metal twats getting ripped off is in itself pretty funny to me.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
Oh I have nothing against blowing your money on drugs, but creating a fake band to leech money from a rabidly dedicated crowd of music collectors is pretty low. Though, fart-sniffing black metal twats getting ripped off is in itself pretty funny to me.

I mean they're not entirely fake as they have real music. I was always thought the theatrics were fake to begin with but couldn't help being drawn to the sound. There are plenty of people who enjoy the music on its musical merits alone.

I mean they're not entirely fake as they have real music. I was always thought the theatrics were fake to begin with but couldn't help being drawn to the sound. There are plenty of people who enjoy the music on its musical merits alone.

I heard rumors that some music was literally stolen by whoever ran the band and repackaged as by Velvet Cacoon. Is that true?

Reactions: Omni
Velvet Cacoon's shoegazer / psych-folk recordings were stolen albums. "How the Last Day Came and Stayed then Faded into Simulated Rain" demo was almost completely stolen from Korouva's "Shipwrecks & Russian Roulette". Korouva's album has 10 tracks, while VC's demo has 9, though two tracks that can be found in Korouva's Myspace are not in VC's demo. The "Dizzy from Eternity" demo is in fact My Violent Ego's "Clicks & Hisses".

Reactions: Omni and Onder
Had troubles with this list until I got about half way into the RYM list then I had to stop because so many good albums were rated near the bottom.

Here goes everything:

1.) Crotchduster - Big Fat Box of Shit
2.) Fair to Midland - Inter.funda.stifle.
3.) MDB - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
4.) Enslaved - Isa
5.) Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
6.) YOB - Illusion in Motion
7.) Edguy - Hellfire Club
8.) Behemoth Demigod
9.) Zao - Funeral of God
10.) Age of Silence - Acceleration

Honorable Mentions:
-Peccatum - Lost in Reverie
-Rammstein - Reise, Reise
-Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
-Spastic Ink - Ink Compatible
-Augury - Concealed
-Probot - Probot
-Mayhem - Chimera

1. Skyclad - A Semblance of Normality
2. Orange Goblin - Thieving From the House of God
3. Orden Ogan - Testimonium A.D.
4. Folkearth - A Nordic Poem
5. W.A.S.P. - The Neon God: Part 2 - The Demise
6. Black Label Society – Hangover Music Vol. VI
7. Megadeth - The System Has Failed
8. W.A.S.P. - The Neon God: Part 1 - The Rise
9. Motörhead - Inferno
10. Ayreon - The Human Equation

HM
Tankard - Beast of Bourbon
Sadistik Exekution - Fukk II
The Electric Wizard - We Live
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Reactions: CiG
I thought Velvet Cacoon was awesome for about a minute when I was into that sort of stuff then I stopped listening to black metal like that. I doubt I'll like it but I might re-listen to it to see how I feel.

Reactions: Omni
When it comes to Velvet Cacoon, too much time is spent talking about the frills and too little time talking about the music. Genevieve is a very special album. There are thousands of depressive black metal albums, there are thousands of evil black metal albums, but there are few, if any albums that communicate the cold, inhumane detachment of Genevieve. It's like an out of body experience, or the process of death. Those beautiful, dreamy melodies played with such cold, heartless abstraction. Similarly, there is human voice, but the sounds are incomprehensible and if not flat out dissociative. Then, the album culminates in "Bete Noir," the most extreme manifestation of what was expressed on the previous tracks: a cold, icy void.

It's an easy #1 for the year on my list.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal