GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2006

What did it imply if not that?

It directly stated "There are very few out-crowd black metal bands tbh", with nothing to indicate you were talking about only non-pure black metal. Additionally you refute wainds' argument (which was to say that Negura Bunget are not in-crowd due to their external popularity) by saying that he's confusing in-crowd infighting with true in-crowd vs out-crowd. And your bit about sectarian fartsniffers very clearly shows that you think Negura, a prefixed third-wave band, is still a member among in-crowd fartsniffers.

It directly stated "There are very few out-crowd black metal bands tbh", with nothing to indicate you were talking about only non-pure black metal.

"Pure" black metal, black metal that isn't DSBM, sympho or norge, outnumbers the rest. Those are niche genres, they are the few among the many within black metal. That's all I was getting at.

"Pure" black metal, black metal that isn't DSBM, sympho or norge, outnumbers the rest. Those are niche genres, they are the few among the many within black metal. That's all I was getting at.

I feel like we've had an exact argument over the relative prevalence of various black metal sub-genres, but I can't seem to find it. I'm pretty sure my rigid analysis at the time proved that you were wrong, so my gut feeling is that you're still wrong today.

Found it, not exactly the primary purpose of the argument, but it began here:

Your initial statement was "most black metal" and then you switched it to DSBM which isn't even a subgenre with a focus on riffs, at all really.

How does that tie in?

Edit: I remember one of your last gut feelings, that Talos of Atmora wasn't Omni's alt because their tones were different, and more recently that RadicalThrasher might be another alt.

Last edited:
DSBM makes up a significant chunk of black metal. Atmospheric black metal is no riffier. Those two alone probably account for at least a third of all full black metal (e.g. no black/thrash obviously), if not closer to a half. Symphonic black metal is a little riffier, but far from consistent. Let's imagine that 90% of sympho and folk black is worse riff-wise than that Liturgy song. Now we're looking at around two-thirds of all black metal accounted for, and about 95% of it is automatically inferior riff-wise. What remains? You have canonical second-wave clones; certainly some would beat Liturgy, but many would not, trudging endlessly through a million minor Transylvanian Hunger copycats. I'll be generous and say that only two-thirds of those bands are worse than Liturgy, and guesstimate that they make up approximately a quarter of all black metal. Of the remaining sub-10% of black metal exist a minority of blackgaze (nearly riffless), "Hellenic black metal" (aka how to repeat two Manowar/Bathory riffs forever), tech-black (riffy but rare), and probably some other shit I'm forgetting. Add it all up and my 90% figure was probably slightly hyperbolic, but it comes out to about 85% which is still close.

War metal is a tiny proportion of black metal, I didn't mention it simply because it wasn't significant, and because it doesn't help your point any; dumb war metal caveman riffs are largely trash.

Again, name examples of black/thrash bands you're referring to. I'm fine with Destroyer 666 being counted as black metal since they share a significant number of traits with black metal. I'm not fine with Vektor, Skeletonwitch, Nocturnal Breed, and other one-drop-rule bands counting and you're being disingenuous as fuck if you think some random retard declaring a band with 95% thrash metal riffs as black metal qualifies them.

I just gave you three. Now name me some that you believe do count.

Black/death is similarly nebulous. Per RYM/Sonemic, there are 22 pages of black/death albums and 25+ (pegged out) pages of DSBM albums, so DSBM wins in quantity. We can assume that all DSBM albums are black metal, but we can't make that same assumption about black/death bands.

Own up to the fact that I did the maths. The maths add up. Pure black metal is a minority and prefixshit predominates.

Your entire argument was based on your subjective view of riff-quality? Congrats on wasting all that time digging shit up that means nothing because your maths were based on your taste in black metal riffs.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Went back and read through that old debate of ours, your "maths" were spurious as fuck. You pulled it all out of your asshole instead of just doing a MA search of black metal and comparing the black metal results against how many prefixed pop up.

I have no desire to return to that debate FYI, that was insanity. The ultimate point here is that the band in question isn't 100% out-crowd, and Wainds has already walked his claim back. If you look at who voted for it and think it just oozes out-crowd, you're a fucking retard. One of them is Mort and another is quite probably an alt of an in-crowder.

The Peste Noire, Negative Plane, Zemial, Warning, Repugnant and Pagan Altar albums are all significantly more in-crowd than Negura Bunget. Although, after HBB mentioned it, I do remember Omni very briefly praising them way back. I guess that didn't last long.

Went back and read through that old debate of ours, your "maths" were spurious as fuck. You pulled it all out of your asshole instead of just doing a MA search of black metal and comparing the black metal results against how many prefixed pop up.

I have no desire to return to that debate FYI, that was insanity. The ultimate point here is that the band in question isn't 100% out-crowd, and Wainds has already walked his claim back. If you look at who voted for it and think it just oozes out-crowd, you're a fucking retard. One of them is Mort and another is quite probably an alt of an in-crowder.

And once again you're too illiterate to read. I explained quite clearly why Metal-Archives was a terrible source for that.

And I've also explained why Omni's vote means nothing if you look at Omni's historical view on the band.

The Peste Noire, Negative Plane, Zemial, Warning, Repugnant and Pagan Altar albums are all significantly more in-crowd than Negura Bunget.

Definitely no overlap with who voted for those "significantly more in-crowd" albums and who voted for Nibbled Butthole.

RYM Rating 3.75 / 5.0 from 3,048 ratings
Friends 3.49 from 92 ratings

this is usually a good sign theyre out-crowd, i would never defile my rym friends list with filthy out crowders

Fair enough, you do tend to be cliqued up with some of the biggest homos and in-crowd cucks on this site so I'll trust your opinion on Nantucket Brobdingnagian. They're 100% out-crowd.

Is CiG becoming /theirguy/?

?

Last edited:
Shit, so I'm in-crowd if I voted for Repugnant? Goddamnit..

Reactions: CiG
giphy.gif

It's a one-circle Venn diagram. If you're not in, you're out.
I imagine it's more of a spectrum. From so extremely trying to be in-crowd as to be obviously fake, to regular in-crowd, normal posters, out-crowd, way fuckin' out-crowd, and finally not usually listening to metal but rather desiring to smoke meth, suck toes and smell of piss while ranting about grunge and flat Earthers.
Everyone who posts here is on the spectrum somewhere.

Reactions: jimmy101 and CiG