GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2008

This is the worst year we’ve done so far.

Certainly not.

Try these if you haven't heard them:

Absurd/Grand Belial's Key/Sigrblot - Weltenfeind
Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax
Vanhelgd - Cult of Lazarus
Cultes des Ghoules - Haxan
Karnarium - Karnarium
Forteresse - Le Hivers de notre époque

I'm not huge on these but you may like them:
Baptism - Grim Arts of Melancholy
Nightbringer - Death and the Black Work

I'm sure you already know Dead Congregation and Arghoslent.

I haven’t those save Averse Sefria (which I like, but think is a bit overrated) and Dead Congregation (which I think is strong). Actually haven’t heard the Argholescent, which I should. I’ll check out some of the others you mentioned as well.

1. In Solitude - In Solitude
2. Hooded Menace - Fulfill the Curse
3. Toxic Holocaust - An Overdoes of Death
4.The Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens, and Dooms
5. Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony
6. Acid Witch - Witchtanic Hellucinations
7. Revelation - Release
8. A Forest of Stars - The Corpse of Rebirth
9. The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror
10. Misery Index - Traitors

I actually really like a lot of albums from this year, tons of stuff I play frequently.

Reactions: -CC-
1 Revelation - Release
2 Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
3 Ogre - Plague of the Planet
4 Valkyrie - Man of Two Visions
5 Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood
6 Apostle of Soltiude - Sincerest Misery
7 Karnarium - Karnarium
8 Manilla Road - Voyager
9 Faustcoven - Rising from Below the Earth

maybe i'll find a 10th later, but this year has a couple of greats (top3) and then a few good ones. not a lot of diversity, though

10. Eliminator - Breaking the Wheel

I remember Dodens pumping this album so hard because the artist had legit 80s street cred and then the drums being horrible :lol:

You mean the cover artist? Ed Repka is a joke now and it's been proven multiple times that he copies over existing art for his covers.

I know that you aren't very smart but my post is obviously making fun of Ed Repka for being a hack and Dodens for thinking he has credibility as an artist.

I know that you aren't very smart but my post is obviously making fun of Ed Repka for being a hack and Dodens for thinking he has credibility as an artist.

I mean it's irrelevant but I'm glad you still name drop and factoid drop on the regular to seem cool and intelligent

Maybe he didn't know back then, maybe he did, doesn't change the fact someone would tout an album as amazing because the retro band has an 80s cover artist making it.

upload_2018-5-31_20-55-40.jpeg

Needs to be on more lists. Fucking love this shit! It just completely nails the atmosphere and delivers some killer riffs in the process. And the vocals are amazing.

Reactions: CiG
The vocals are really good on that Eliminator and it riffs hard. As rms alluded to, the drum sound isn’t great but it’s still an enjoyable album overall. Won’t make my top 10, though.

The Deathhammer is a better throwback thrash record for this year.

What albums did he do that for?

You should read the Sad But True: Plagiarism in Heavy Metal Art blog. They've put up tons of examples. He's one of their most frequently featured artists.

I mean it's irrelevant but I'm glad you still name drop and factoid drop on the regular to seem cool and intelligent

Maybe he didn't know back then, maybe he did, doesn't change the fact someone would tout an album as amazing because the retro band has an 80s cover artist making it.

I like how you're trying to make fun of Dodens for saying an album is good because of the art while also trying to argue with me about making fun of him for literally the exact same thing. There's a massive amount of irony here that is obviously unintentional on your part.

I know that you make terrible arguments such as Manilla Road being the most influential underground metal band ever, but this is stupider than you usually are.

and then you replied with some of the most popular metal acts around :lol:

also trying to argue with me about making fun of him for literally the exact same thing.

if it's the same thing, then why did you bring it up? i'm not arguing, I literally don't give a shit. you're the one implying that it adds value to the conversation. still rough after all these years.

about making fun of him for literally the exact same thing

:lol: you don't even know your own assertion. Your claim is that the art may or may not be good, but it is a replicable/ethically garbage etc. those are two different things. something can be good and ethically questionable/abhorrent.

if it's the same thing, then why did you bring it up?

There's this widely observed element of conversation that involves hearing or reading something and then adding on to the discussion. It often occurs when people enjoy what someone else said and want to add on or elaborate with their own related thoughts.

Also, the artists that I named in that other discussion aren't even remotely the most popular metal bands around. You also named Bathory during that discussion as a basis of comparison for Manilla Road, which further proves the validity of the bands that I mentioned as Bathory is more popular than most of them.

Oh and Bathory is more influential than Manilla Road too, so your argument was roundly debunked by your own words.

**You also claimed that I hate Manilla Road out of spite because I stated that I like Cirith Ungol more than I like them, which made no sense either. Either way, I'm not reopening an argument that you clearly lost. I only mentioned it because of how bad and funny it was.

I don't give a shit about this Eliminator discussion. The drums are fine.

View attachment 15090

Needs to be on more lists. Fucking love this shit! It just completely nails the atmosphere and delivers some killer riffs in the process. And the vocals are amazing.

Haven't heard this, I'll check it out. Have you heard Legion of Doom's album from this year? Really underrated stuff. I need to bump it up a few spots on my list.

and then you replied with some of the most popular metal acts around :lol:

if it's the same thing, then why did you bring it up? i'm not arguing, I literally don't give a shit. you're the one implying that it adds value to the conversation. still rough after all these years.

:lol: you don't even know your own assertion. Your claim is that the art may or may not be good, but it is a replicable/ethically garbage etc. those are two different things. something can be good and ethically questionable/abhorrent.

I'm not sure why you choose to engage her. You obviously do give a fuck about it.

Reactions: Omni