GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2009

black future is maybe the best 'new' thrash record next to Satanic Assassins (unless im forgetting something). Give it more spins I dare say

Mort likes modern Amorphis? I don't think he said that they're similar, just that the latter is no heavier than the former (and I agree with him there if that's what he has said).

ehh not really, they aren't that similar?

They're both riffless in-crowd shite with incredibly overlarge discographies and a cornball sense of epicness. I thought enjoying each band went hand-in-hand (Virgin Steele's glammed-Rush metal stuff aside of course)

i've never really got why you consider virgin steele incrowd, they're more of an h.p. lovecraft kinda band i think, loved by those aging uber old-school types who dig hard rock equally as much as metal. and yeah, rush fans like oz. i know cig and one or two others like them but they don't exactly seem super popular around here?

Probably mostly because of Mort, but checking earlier posts of mine on the subject, I think it's because a lot of people had this double-standard where Manowar was cheesy and lame but Virgin Steele was totally awesome and different. It's like the "Metallica sux but Heathen is awesome" effect.

Maybe today, a decade ago people seemed a lot more resistant to the idea that Bathory had any Manowar influence.

its not that they specifically sound similar, just that they seem like they'd appeal to the same demographic i guess